Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner
I love tuna casserole! Make it by marinading the tuna in lemon and salt(usually garlic too). Cook up some barley or (less healthy) egg noodles. Make a quick roux with celery. Saute minced celery in butter, add flour then milk and stir to thicken. The celery should give it good flavor. Layer the barley, tuna and thawed frozen veggies into a casserole, pour the roux on and top with some cheese. It's my guilty pleasure.

Also, maple minted carrots are delicious without onions.
Marinated canned tuna or fresh? I have spent nearly all 30 years of my life weary from my search for a good tuna noodle casserole. I have tried dozens. I need to try this but with more information

Advertisement

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar

Marinated canned tuna or fresh? I have spent nearly all 30 years of my life weary from my search for a good tuna noodle casserole. I have tried dozens. I need to try this but with more information
I use Wild Planet in a can. One can skipjack, 2 cans albacore for a large casserole, to be specific. I squeeze 2 lemons, use Frontier garlic powder to cover, grind pepper over and flake the heck out of it with a fork. Cover it and let it refrigerate over night.

After I've layered everything (I actually use a fresh carrot /green bean medley that I parboil) I pour the roux over everything, push it down and then top with whatever cheese I have, like jack or mozz.

The lemon might give your casserole the deliciousness you've been searching for. I'm not sure if it is unique, but my mom always made it that way and my family loves it too. It's a dish that really benefits from using fresh ingredients.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dinner for friend with no onions/peppers/spice

If you make something with bacon, it would be pretty hard to make it flavor less. Maybe a bacon quiche or some potato soup?
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
BubBubsMom
Registered Users
Formerly: TaReeses
seller
seller

I make everything without onions. And if I don't have peppers I don't use them. It doesn't come out flavorless. You could make chili. I usually add carrots and you can omit the peppers and onion and add other veggies that cook up well. Or you could make beef stew
BubBubsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner

I use Wild Planet in a can. One can skipjack, 2 cans albacore for a large casserole, to be specific. I squeeze 2 lemons, use Frontier garlic powder to cover, grind pepper over and flake the heck out of it with a fork. Cover it and let it refrigerate over night.

After I've layered everything (I actually use a fresh carrot /green bean medley that I parboil) I pour the roux over everything, push it down and then top with whatever cheese I have, like jack or mozz.

The lemon might give your casserole the deliciousness you've been searching for. I'm not sure if it is unique, but my mom always made it that way and my family loves it too. It's a dish that really benefits from using fresh ingredients.
I appreciate the detail. I am going to try this. I seriously have searched for a recipe and all i have tried have been missing something. Perhaps it was lemon? I will report back. Thanks! !!
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #16
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a super picky eater. No onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatos etc... Basically the ingredients for just about everything. I do like garlic and substitute that a lot. My favorite homemade recipe of all time is chicken noodle soup. There's also a chicken tortilla casserole I like (one of the only casseroles I can eat).
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
tokidokikashikoi
Registered Users
seller

Onions give me heartburn really, really bad so I can't eat them even though I love them and used to use them to flavor EVERYTHING. I'm a vegetarian so I felt like I needed the flavor boost and I was really worried that everything would taste bland, but you can hardly tell in most things. But be careful with premade sauces because they often contain onions.
tokidokikashikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

For easy transport... How about Baked potatoes, bread sticks and a side salad? Just bake the potatoes foil wrapped right before you go and put them in a towel inside a shopping tote to stay warm for transport. Then do the same with bread sticks. Bring Cheese, bacon bits, sour cream, butter, and chives in separate container. Salad can be from a bag and your choice of dressings.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

baked spaghetti
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Make a roasted chicken and flavor like she'd like it. Include a bag of plain steam-in-bag veggies, and some plain rice.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote