Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
smiling.politely
Registered Users
seller

Breathing/Relaxation techniques that work for labor and delivery!!??help please!!

Hey mamas! I'm here because I'm on my second pregnancy. The first birth was a homebirth. I had tremendous back pain and I think after watching a homebirthing video, the fear has come back! I don't want to be afraid because I was reading that it can manifest itself as pain! I'm trying to follow as much as I can, the Weston A Price/ Sally Fallon recommendations for a pregnant woman relating to dietary recommendations.

A family member recommended evening primrose capsules near the end of pregnancy, orally and down there, ahem. I think that was like, the last five days. I read that drinking a bolus of red raspberry leaf tea near the time of labor/delivery would help reduce pain. And there was something I think that was called 5 W Formula. Also, she really recommended breathing/relaxation techniques. And I would really like to read more about it. If anyone could help me out?

Please any advice would help!!

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Ariomi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breathing/Relaxation techniques that work for labor and delivery!!??help please!!

I can speak for a few things you are asking about. I had both my girls in the hospital and admire you for having your first as a home birth. I did have both mine without any pain med and the first I was under pitocin the whole time. My personal best advice for breathing is do what comes naturally for you at the time. I researched so much for my first but when it came down to it and I was undergoing double peaked pitocin induced transition contractions, I just got through it without thinking. My body took over and I did something known as "toneing" even though I had never read about it.

As for the evening primrose oil and RRL tea... both you can take during your whole pregnancy withough any problem. I think the EPO you shouldn't take in the very beginning however. I had RRL 3x per day starting at the 2nd trimester. It does not do anything for pain. However, it is supposed to help with toneing of the uterus. The EPO is to help softne your cervix. You will have to look up more about dosage, its been awhile since I took it and I've forgotten. Above all mama, do not be afriad no matter what you rememeber! Live in the moment, especially when it comes to labor. And I highly reccomend a bath tub or jacuzzi tub of some sort! It was a wonderful during my labor with DD2, I actually enjoyed my labor believe it or not!!!
Ariomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you plan on having a tub?
http://www.milescircuit.com/
To get baby in a good position.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
smiling.politely
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breathing/Relaxation techniques that work for labor and delivery!!??help please!!

Thank you so much for the encouragement and information!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariomi View Post
I can speak for a few things you are asking about. I had both my girls in the hospital and admire you for having your first as a home birth. I did have both mine without any pain med and the first I was under pitocin the whole time. My personal best advice for breathing is do what comes naturally for you at the time. I researched so much for my first but when it came down to it and I was undergoing double peaked pitocin induced transition contractions, I just got through it without thinking. My body took over and I did something known as "toneing" even though I had never read about it.

As for the evening primrose oil and RRL tea... both you can take during your whole pregnancy withough any problem. I think the EPO you shouldn't take in the very beginning however. I had RRL 3x per day starting at the 2nd trimester. It does not do anything for pain. However, it is supposed to help with toneing of the uterus. The EPO is to help softne your cervix. You will have to look up more about dosage, its been awhile since I took it and I've forgotten. Above all mama, do not be afriad no matter what you rememeber! Live in the moment, especially when it comes to labor. And I highly reccomend a bath tub or jacuzzi tub of some sort! It was a wonderful during my labor with DD2, I actually enjoyed my labor believe it or not!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
smiling.politely
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
Do you plan on having a tub?
http://www.milescircuit.com/
To get baby in a good position.
My midwife brought me a tub. And we had to keep boiling water to add to the pool because it kept getting so cold!!! And I think it kept me at 3 cm for 3 hours. I don't believe it helped! This time, I'm going tubby all the way!!

Thanks for the link! I am checking it out now!!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't do EPO, but I drink RRL throughout my pregnancies and when not pregnant. It's a uterine toner. I'm not sure how much it would do for you if you only started drinking it at the time of labor.

For breathing, different things work for different people. You can try breathing in through your mouth and out your nose to help relax. Lots of books suggest moaning while you do it. I would practice before hand. Here is a good site on it http://www.americanpregnancy.org/lab...dbreathing.htm
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had two non medicated births and used breathing and relaxation techniques. What really helped was making sure my husband (and for me, my doula- but you don't need a doula necessarily of course) was talking to me about my breathing and about relaxing. The things that worked for me were imagining a sort of happy place (for me it was our vacation in Maui- picturing being in the beach cabana and imagining the wind, waves, etc). Also systematically focusing on each part of the body, starting with your head, and completely relaxing each part- it can really take your mind off of the contractions. good luck and I would love to hear more from others too!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
For me going in a hot shower with the removable shower head on my belly was the best way to relax through the contractions.
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you thought about taking a hypnobabies course? This is my first so I can't speak for how well it works but the entire course is basically teaching yourself to relax and enter "hypnosis" during pressure waves (contractions).
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hypnobabies is fantastic. I used it for both my babies (both born at home).