Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breathing/Relaxation techniques that work for labor and delivery!!??help please!!

I took the RRL tea in both pregnancies. I don't think that back labor is something that will be aleviated by RRL tea, though, as it is more likely something that is being caused by baby's position, your anatomy, or both combined. It's possible that you won't have that same type of pain in this labor. But also, counterpressure from a support person/doula can be VERY helpful for lower back pain. At the last birth I was at, I ended applying counterpressure or hip squeezes for almost the entire labor. Mom said that she didn't think that she could have tolerated the contractions without it.
I've never experienced back labor pains, but for normal labor I just try to focus inward. I don't like to talk to anyone. I just relax in a warm bath and listen to music. When contractions hit I think of them as an exercise that I have to breath and relax through, then it's gone.

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
smiling.politely
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breathing/Relaxation techniques that work for labor and delivery!!??help please!!

Thanks ladies! Great advice!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #13
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did RRL my whole pregnancy, but up'd it in the last trimester! I did EPO orally and vaginally starting at 36wks.
With breathing I practiced hypnobirthing CD's, but when it came to labor, I just did what my body told me to do, which was moan really really loud!
I read that open mouth means open bottom!
#3 baby was 2.5hr of labor
#4 was 27min! Crazy fast!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
creativeOTmomma
Registered Users

I highly recommend the Hypnobirthing method. I just finished my classes for it and I am very confident it will lead to a calm, peaceful birthing experience free from pain & fear. The instructors really work with you to release any fear & you use deep, slow breathing to relax your body & mind throughout labor. Hypnobirthing allows you to remain in a completely relaxed state, which allows your uterine muscles to preform their duties pain free; the way nature intended. Your uterus is a muscle, just like the muscles in your arms & legs. When we move our arms it does not hurt and the same goes for the muscles of the uterus. Fear causes the muscles to tense up & you end up fighting against these muscles throughout labor, causing pain. Find a certified Hypnobirthing instructor near you at hypnobirthing.com
creativeOTmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also follow a WAPF diet (loosely) I personally found that it helped for me to think about contractions like lifting weights. Don't hold your breath; breath through them and relax as much as possible. It's possible that you won't have the same kind of labor that you had the first time, so try not to worry about that and just take it as it comes I also love hot water and used the tub in both labors. (not even a birth tub; just a regular one).
Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just wanted to add a suggestion: remember to conserve your energy!
you will need it at the end!!

with my last labor, I just had nervous energy and was moving around a lot, went in and out of the shower, etc. , but when it was time to push, I felt like my energy had been drained out of me.

this time I will certainly be laying low until I know I'm getting close to pushing.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
QuietLotus
Registered Users
seller

My yoga ball was my best friend during labor. Lamaze patterned breathing (you know, "hee hee hoo") is the only thing that got me through transition in both of my labors.
QuietLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hynobirthing is good. Also I LOVE The Bradley Method, check out the book from the library.
I re-read it every time. It teaches how to relax your whole body, a lot of times you think you are relaxed, but you might be holding tension in your toes. ANY tension will increase pain. Having your husband or a doula there to constantly remind you to relax and you look at your body and make sure you are relaxing everything is key. And a DEEP tub. Something that covers your whole belly. HUGE difference!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
smiling.politely
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I also follow a WAPF diet (loosely) I personally found that it helped for me to think about contractions like lifting weights. Don't hold your breath; breath through them and relax as much as possible. It's possible that you won't have the same kind of labor that you had the first time, so try not to worry about that and just take it as it comes I also love hot water and used the tub in both labors. (not even a birth tub; just a regular one).
I was told by dh that I shouldn't have hot baths. Our tub drains heat really fast and you can only enjoy a warm tub for about 15 minutes. I looked it up online and said the reasoning behind it was that the baby will not be able to cool down. Now, I get hot showers, and keep the water to my back mostly. Any thoughts?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
smiling.politely
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
also, what's wapf?