Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Ava (will be 6), my mom, and my sister all have bdays within a week of each other. We (us and my sister and bil) live in Florida, our parents are in Maine. My mom has this idea that it would be fun to have my sister and Ava fly up for a long weekend to celebrate their birthdays together. The trip would be a Thursday-Sunday in January. Ava would fly with my sister, who I completely trust. The cost isn't really a huge issue. We can afford the trip, but still...
Part of me says yes, send her & part of me is hesitant. Here are my reasons.

Why I say yes - Ava will get to spend time with my parents, who we only see twice a year; she will get to play in the snow, which she has been itching to do; she would be well taken care of and loved on; she is old enough that she will actually remember it; she is an easy traveller and sleeps fine away from home; she would be beyond thrilled to go

Reasons I say no - dealing with Faith's disappointment that only Ava is going; I will miss her!!; I am a little nervous to send her away...she's never been away without us before; even though we can afford it and it would be her bday present (and my mom's!) it will be in the $150 range for a weekend trip for a 6 year old

So...wwyd in my position? We are leaning towards yes, but need to decide for sure asap to get good ticket prices and so my parents can find snow clothes for her.

Update - tickets are bought! We're not telling her til her birthday in January. She is going to be so happy!

: Blessed wife to Jon, homeschooling Mama to Ava Catherine (1-6-07), Faith Olivia (3-17-09) , and Eli David (11-30-10), my sweet little guy!

Last edited by Celeste; 11-12-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
In a heartbeat. It will be a special trip. I'd let her go! She is going to make awesome memories.
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Dd going on a trip without us...wwyd?

I think I would say yes. Only because your sister would be able to accompany her on the trip.

and I would try to make it a special weekend for Faith as well. Which, of course, adds to the cost and such...

I actually hate the idea of my child going away from me for a weekend at age 6, but given all the things you've said, it seems like something that I'd have to suck up and be okay with. DH is all the time talking about his wonderful summers living with aunts and uncles and grandparents and it kills me. I don't want my kid away from me all summer or even 2 weeks or whatever. I mean, I'm sure I'll get over it a bit when she's older. But he seems to think that experiences like this are essential for family relationships and happy childhoods.. so I'm trying to keep an open mind.

so yes, I lean towards yes. even though I totally understand the apprehension.
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff
My Mood:

Absolutely let her go!
Married fifteen years to a great man; SAHMama to four no longer in diapers but DS is still home to me.
"When you know better, you do better." -Maya Angelou

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Registered Users
I'd let her go. What a great expierence for her.
Single mama to an awesome 6 year old and fighting cancer one day at a time.
Looking for Womens clothes size Large 12/14.... any help would be appreciated
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Registered Users
Yes , the weekend is fine IMO
happily married mama enjoying life with my dd 4/7/07 and my ds 6/7/09

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Registered Users

I would.

Also, make sure you send insurance information, shot record, and some sort of signed (preferably notarized) paper stating who has permission to take care of any necessary medical issues that arise. Hopefully it won't be needed, but at least it'll be there in case. Our kids have gone on trips with their grandparents probably 8+ times and this summer was the first time there was even a question of needing the information (ODD stabbed herself in the foot with a pitchfork). But, we always send it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:
Let her go. My kids have gone with their grandparents for 1-2 weeks from when they were 3.

Tell the younger dd that when she is 6 she will get to stay with grandma for the weekend too.
CarrieMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #9
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
I would let her go.
"You think that true love is the only thing that can crush your heart;
that will take your life and light it up or destroy it.
Then, you become a mother."

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
Registered Users

Yes, absolutely.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote