Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #11
krismark0
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does your insurance charge seperate deductible for baby at birth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilg82882 View Post
I work at an insurance company. Obviously I can't speak for all companies but at mine as long as baby goes home with mom it all gets billed under mom and her deductible. But if baby has to stay then it gets charged under baby an applies to baby's deductible. Or in the case of no deductible you pay one inpatient copay unless baby stays longer than you each pay one.
A previous poster mentioned that her deductible covered baby's room and board, but not the pediatrician, hearing test, etc. Does your company work that way, or does the whole stay get covered under mom?

I actually work in a hospital and sit near the insurance verification ladies...so I hear them say baby is covered under mom's policy for 30 days in most cases...but I never really though that meant you didn't have to pay seperately for baby. It woudl be such a releif if that happened!

Advertisement

krismark0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I worked for BCBS, the hospital charges were covered under mom's deductible if the baby was considered a "normal newborn." So if the baby required any monitoring or supervision after birth, the baby's charges would be considered separate from the mother.

Obviously all policies are different and some states mandate different levels of coverage.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
txmommytobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
This is baby #4 and we have had 3 different insurances through the births and baby was always covered under my policy until you could get them added. We had 30 days to add them. All of our policies also covered well checks and vaccines 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #14
lilg82882
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismark0

A previous poster mentioned that her deductible covered baby's room and board, but not the pediatrician, hearing test, etc. Does your company work that way, or does the whole stay get covered under mom?

I actually work in a hospital and sit near the insurance verification ladies...so I hear them say baby is covered under mom's policy for 30 days in most cases...but I never really though that meant you didn't have to pay seperately for baby. It woudl be such a releif if that happened!
Baby is completely covered under mom unless baby stays after mom is discharged. Then testing will go to baby's own deductible.

But I'm sure this works differently for every insurance company! I hope it is how it works for your too do you won't have to pay as much as you originally thought
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My DS and I were billed together for the stay and on one deductible/ coinsurance. However, he needed some extra care- oxygen at birth, bilirubin tests, things like that. He didn't stay any extra in the hospital for it. I think his came out to $500. Mine was much higher because of the c section and 4 days in the hospital. We have BSBC Nebraska.
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

BCBS of Oregon.

I had one global charge plus hosp for me with my deductible. Baby was in Nicu for 4 days, she had separate bills and deductible. Don't know about all the early testing stuff because she was already getting separate treatment.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #17
Mommy/4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy/3boys
seller

My Mood:
With my last we were considered the same person. I had 2 (birth and 1 other stay) hospital stays with a $300 co-pay for each one. My DS spent 10 days in NICU and were not billed for him even though he stayed on after I was released. Now if he had be released and then had to return he would have had his own co-pay.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Our insurance said baby was billed as mama and we did have bili tests and needed the lights. He also had his tongue tie taken care of before discharge. It too was billed under my name. Insurance said he wasn't considered as separate until after discharge. I don't know how that would have worked if he had stayed in after I was discharged. Fortunately his bili levels came down before discharge.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine had the baby's medical costs on their own deductibles.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote