Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Officially diagnosed with Hyperemesis :(

It's not really a suprise. I mean I knew I had a problem. It just sucks. I have lost 10lbs since the beginning of my pregnancy and if I can't start gaining weight I am going to have to be admitted to the hospital for an IV and a feeding tube. Of course, if that is what I have to do to keep this baby healthy I will do it but omg that would be HORRIBLE. I don't want to sit in the hospital all day and not see my kids. Plus it would be a huge problem with daycare since my husband works nights. Not to mention the fact that I have missed so much work because of this that I have no more sick leave to take so I will have to take unpaid leave while I am there. And lastly who wants a tube shoved down their nose? ICK! I'm not too thrilled with my doctor though. She actually had the nerve to ask me if I ever had a problem with anorexia or bulemia... really? you think I am doing this to myself on PURPOSE? Who would do that? I am pregnant, my childs life depends on me getting the right nutrients, you think I would put my kids life at risk so I could have the pleasure of vomitting all day?! ugh But anyways..so I am stressed out now that I am not gaining any weight and I really don't want to be stuck in a hospital bed. Has anyone had experience with this? How long would I have to stay in the hospital? How would I know if it were time for me to go in? They didn't tell me that. I already am light headed and dizzy all the time. i told them that but it didn't seem to be a big deal. I am just a bit irked that they didn't explain more to me. I've got to switch doctors...

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

I'm really sorry you're having to deal with that. although I *kind of* understand the dr asking that. I mean obviously she shouldn't if she knows you, but my nut job MIL was bulimic when she was pregnant with both of her daughters, and both were teeny, tiny preemie babies and had a host of health problems as little ones. Now both girls seriously struggle with unhealthy relationships with food - they're both overweight and one is obese (as is my MIL). Not exactly something you want to pass on to your kids. But unfortunately it does happen.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Re: Officially diagnosed with Hyperemesis :(

yea i thought of that too but I mean I am not like super skinny or anything like I would imagine an anorexic person would be. I just thought it was a rude question because common sense would say that I would not be putting myself through this misery if I could help it AND if I was doing it on puropse why would I be begging for help to make it stop? Lol, I've been through all the medications trying to find something that worked and nothing does. it SUCKS!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It is not something anyone should ever have to go through. I have only ever had to do ER visits, never long term stays. I don't know that a ten pound loss is call for TPN, I'd make them do IV with a Zofran push first.

This website has tons of information and a VERY supportive forum. Also, don't hesitate to ask me questions here or in PMs. Don't try to do this alone, there are lots of people out there to offer support.
http://www.helpher.org

P.S. That website has a section and a forum for health care professionals new to HG. If your doctor seems open, or even if not, I'd share it.

Last edited by MommaLEB; 11-12-2012 at 10:25 AM.
MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
calleiah
Registered Users
seller

DDC crashing. First off, I would strongly consider a new doctor. That's a bad indication of her attitude towards HG. Second, 10 lbs isn't too bad yet. There are maternal nursing services that care for women with HG. They come out to your home, get you on an IV, get you hooked up to a zofran pump if your doc orders one, and call you daily to check your hydration, weight, and ketones. I was on a zofran pump for 4 months with this pregnancy and lost 27 lbs before leveling off. My nursing service was amazing. I could call 24/7 about any issue.

The pump was a life saver. You start to get tired of putting the port in your legs, but it's absolutely worth it. The little ports don't really hurt, but can be a little uncomfortable when bumped. You have lots of options before they'll admit you for feeding. Even at 27 lbs lost my doc wasn't ready to do that yet (and I had a few extra lbs before getting pregnant but not almost 30!). You've got to have a good doctor that isn't of the old school mindset that this is a mental problem or eating disorder. My first doctor (with my first child) kept telling me it was time for me to stop being sick. I dropped down to 98 lbs before gaining anything. I was so sick.
Huge huge hugs. I know this road sucks but te good news is there are much better standards for treating it than there used to be. Ask about the nursing service and medication pump!
calleiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

She actually asked you about eating disorders?!? Crazy!

Both times I've been in the ER I've been in for less than a day. Very heavy doses of zofran (and benadryl?? and an antacid) seems to do the trick for me. 3 bags of IV fluid later and I start feeling a lot better. When I start getting dizzy and lightheaded after standing I know it's time to go in. I got to see my blood and urine results and googled every one of them that wasn't in the normal range when I got home. The problem ones all had to do with dehydration and poor nutrition or were in the "normal" range for a pregnant person.

My favorite part of going to the ER last week was seeing the ultrasound. OMG it was amazing. The little bean looked like a person this time and was just doing all sorts of somersaults in there. I'm pretty sure I saw a wave

I've left the observation wing when I felt well enough to go home. I like to wait until I feel like I can keep some food down, but they encourage me to leave if I'm hydrated because they say food isn't as important. I'd get a second opinion if I were you. See if you respond to a heavy dose of zofran and fluids. I've lost about 20lbs total, and I've since put about of those pounds back on. GL
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
She actually asked you about eating disorders?!? Crazy!

Both times I've been in the ER I've been in for less than a day. Very heavy doses of zofran (and benadryl?? and an antacid) seems to do the trick for me. 3 bags of IV fluid later and I start feeling a lot better. When I start getting dizzy and lightheaded after standing I know it's time to go in. I got to see my blood and urine results and googled every one of them that wasn't in the normal range when I got home. The problem ones all had to do with dehydration and poor nutrition or were in the "normal" range for a pregnant person.

My favorite part of going to the ER last week was seeing the ultrasound. OMG it was amazing. The little bean looked like a person this time and was just doing all sorts of somersaults in there. I'm pretty sure I saw a wave

I've left the observation wing when I felt well enough to go home. I like to wait until I feel like I can keep some food down, but they encourage me to leave if I'm hydrated because they say food isn't as important. I'd get a second opinion if I were you. See if you respond to a heavy dose of zofran and fluids. I've lost about 20lbs total, and I've since put about of those pounds back on. GL
I get so sick of hearing this. It's easy to say that when you're not the one literally starving to death, ya know?

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Diaper Safari
Registered Users

Ugh, I'm so sorry.

I'd agree with a second opinion. My first pregnancy I couldn't keep anything down at all, lost 15-20lbs in the first few months, and I am on the underweight side anyway (right on the border). No one ever dared ask if I have any type of eating disorder.

Definitely go for the Zofran. I get my rx filled the second I find out I'm pregnant now, because if I don't stay on top of it I can't keep the pills down (or water, or anything) and have to move to IV. I was in the hospital for a week with DS1 and for about 3 days with DS2. This time I've managed to stay out of the hospital (knock on wood) but I'm also not taking any chances and staying on top of the pills.

Find a doctor who will support you. It's not fun. My first doctor actually told me to try sips of regular Coke -- the cold carbonation helped and the caffeine/sugar helped give me a little energy when I could keep literally nothing down. (I threw the Coke up too, but at least something got absorbed.)

Hang in there, mama.
Diaper Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

wow, thanks for all the advice and support! It sounds like 10lbs in nothing yet this doctor was telling me if i continue to lose weight I would have to have a feeding tube put down my nose. It did make me really mad that she asked me if I had ever had an eating disorder. i mean I can understand where it might be like a CYA kind of thing but still. i am coming in begging for help and getting IVs pumped in to me when I HATE needles. I highly doubt I am doing this to myself, lol. Anyways, i weighed myself today and I have gained one pound since friday! I know that is like nothing and it could be a matter of going pee and that pound is gone but hey its hope right, lol. Thanks though. Ten pounds isn't nearly as scary as she was making it out to be. I am just going to keep trying to keep things down and hope for the best
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
ChloeNAydensmom
Registered Users
Formerly: AydenN2Angel+1
seller

My Mood:
10lbs really isn't all that scary. I have lost as much as 12 pounds (and I was skinny to begin with in that pregnancy) and I wasn't diagnosed with anything (and the Dr's didn't seem to care all that much. Maybe it's time for another Dr?