Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We are expecting #2 and DS will be about 33 months when baby arrives. We want to use the crib we have and get DS a new bed. We like the Kura bd from Ikea for the space you can have underneath, but not sure I'd want him that far off the ground at that age.

We've also thought about a bed that has drawers or some kind of storage. Our bedrooms aren't huge so trying to get the most out the space we have.

Ideas?
Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: IKEA kura bed...what age?

We have the Kura and it is not that high.

Have you seen it in person? It's maybe 5ft MAX from the floor to the mattress on top.

I just say that b/c many other bunk beds are much higher. (DD's is probably at least 6-6.5 ft)

We use ours as a bunk bed. DS was about 2.5 yrs old when he started sleeping on the top bunk.

The KURA is nice b/c the top bunk has "walls" kind of around the whole mattress, so that the mattress sort of "drops in" place. The only pace the "wall" isn't there is where you climb in at the top of the ladder. It's high enough that a kid wouldn't be able to easily roll out of bed at night unless they were a serious thrasher when they sleep.

DS has been sleeping top bunk for about 2 yrs now and has fallen out of bed twice, I think. We have hardwood floors. He was never injured, just spooked. I think he fell b/c he was trying to get down to potty and missed a ladder rung.

You could always put your DS's mattress on the bottom, and then cut a pc of plywood to fit in the top and use the top for storage!

We plan to eventually build drawers that fit into the bed frame for the bottom mattress to go on top of. That is an option, too.

Last edited by Kiliki; 11-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Interested in this too for 3 yo

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
We have the Kura and it is not that high.

Have you seen it in person? It's maybe 5ft MAX from the floor to the mattress on top.

I just say that b/c many other bunk beds are much higher. (DD's is probably at least 6-6.5 ft)

We use ours as a bunk bed. DS was about 2.5 yrs old when he started sleeping on the top bunk.

The KURA is nice b/c the top bunk has "walls" kind of around the whole mattress, so that the mattress sort of "drops in" place. The only pace the "wall" isn't there is where you climb in at the top of the ladder. It's high enough that a kid wouldn't be able to easily roll out of bed at night unless they were a serious thrasher when they sleep.

DS has been sleeping top bunk for about 2 yrs now and has fallen out of bed twice, I think. We have hardwood floors. He was never injured, just spooked. I think he fell b/c he was trying to get down to potty and missed a ladder rung.

You could always put your DS's mattress on the bottom, and then cut a pc of plywood to fit in the top and use the top for storage!

We plan to eventually build drawers that fit into the bed frame for the bottom mattress to go on top of. That is an option, too.
Building drawers is a good idea! So If you do it as bunk beds, the bottom mattress is actually just in the floor, right?

Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have a kura height bed with a stair case on the end instead of a ladder. The space for play underneath is unimpressive. Its really too short for my 4 year old to do anything but sit under. I think I would like it for a bed with a mattress on the floor, or if I could buy the dressers that go under it, but just as play space it sucks imo.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_brooke View Post
Building drawers is a good idea! So If you do it as bunk beds, the bottom mattress is actually just in the floor, right?

Yup. Exactly. Right on the floor. No big deal to me! I use the bottom bunk for my 18 mo old! It works PERFECTLY for us with this set up. I don't have to worry about her falling off a bed and a bed frame and a box spring, it's just a measly 4 inches to the floor if she rolls off the bed.... which she does do in her sleep. It's never a big deal, since the bed is so low. So I actually like it for now.

But we will be building drawers a little later (maybe in a yr or so) for the bottom mattress to be on. And we will build them so they fit right into the bed frame on the floor.

But if you didn't want to do that or didn't have the time or whatever, you could totally just measure the top frame where the mattress goes, and head to home depot and have them custom cut a piece of plywood to fit in there, and bam! - instant over the bed storage. For things like stuffed animals, board games, whatever.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
We have a kura height bed with a stair case on the end instead of a ladder. The space for play underneath is unimpressive. Its really too short for my 4 year old to do anything but sit under. I think I would like it for a bed with a mattress on the floor, or if I could buy the dressers that go under it, but just as play space it sucks imo.
oh yes I totally agree. I wouldn't think it would work for play space at all.

I have wondered before if I could fit a crib under it. It seems like it would be pretty brilliant, but I am not sure, I've never measured and I've never tried.

Also, b/c the part on the floor is a rectangle made of wood that sits on the floor, it's a pretty big tripping hazard (imo) when there's no mattress on the bottom.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
My kids have beds similar. The top of the frame is about 4.5ft from the floor. They are 10 & 11 and have no problems playing under it. They aren't standing while playing but they still play
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
addicteddad
Registered Users

We have the Kura bed, DS is 23 months old, but he sleeps underneath. We purchased the slats @ Ikea and put another mattress on the floor. He's too young for the top bunk, but it's useful for swapping toys out of rotation, storing extra pillows, blankets, etc. I can't imagine putting him in the top bunk for a while.
Fwiw, Ikea also has some great daybeds with drawers underneath as well. I was leaning towards those since they make a great guest bed, but DF wanted the lower Kura bed for DS.
For ourselves, we have the Mandal bed which has 4 drawers underneath, but the smallest it comes in is a full size.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly, it probably depends on the three-year-old. Some can handle the responsibility of being higher up, others can't. DD would have been fine at that age, and I think started sleeping on top at about 3.5. DS is 2.5 and has slept underneath since he was 2. We have a strict "nobody plays on the top bunk" rule at our house that has so far only been tested twice by DS.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote