Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
The 9 month old sleep drama

Baby status: MAAAMMMMAAAUUYYYYYEEEEEAAAAA!!!!@#&%&#$!@!!!!

Please help us. Our son used to go to sleep in his crib no problem. I could lay him down drowsy, he'd see me close the door, out like a light. Then he reverse cycled last month, and I am EBFing while working full time so I was/am super happy that he stopped drinking so much milk during the day. A lady can only pump so much, and I like snuggling in the wee hours of the morning. When he reverse cycled it was:

7pm-midnight: asleep in crib
midnight-morning: nurse in our bed.

Bliss.

But that midnight nursing has been creeping closer and closer to his regular bedtime, until tonight he woke at 8pm and refuses to go back to sleep. He is standing in his crib screaming bloody murder. If I pick him up he immediately goes to sleep on my chest, then starts wailing when I put him down. He isn't hungry, he just wants us (me). If hubby goes in there he punches and kicks hubby. If I were to let him down out of his crib he would walk (yeah he's walking) straight out of his room, down the hall, into our bedroom, and he will stand at our bed waiting like a spaniel.

So far tonight we have tried going in immediately for the first 20 minutes, rocking, singing, etc. Now we are so burnt that we have been letting him cry for 10 minutes before going in and comforting him, then putting him back down. He's not screaming as hard now, but he's absolutely still standing and wailing.

I like cuddling and nursing at night, but I am not about to lay in bed with him from 7pm to 7am. No to the way. So what do I do when it's his bedtime??

Advertisement

Last edited by Palooka; 11-12-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The 9 month old sleep drama

bump... because he's still crying.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Google the 9 month sleep regression. I would give links, but I'm on my phone.

It can start at 7 or 8 months. This is normal. Babies that used to sleep well regress - especially while they're mastering skills like walking.

You should find some helpful advice from a good. Babysleepsite is good, Moxie is good.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So I'm not a terrible mommy? Or I wasn't until now, at which point he's been going bananas for over an hour? Do I just go get him and bring him into the living room? I'm about to do that.... yup. Doing that. Can't take it.

*2 seconds after posting that the screaming stopped. Either he used up all the oxygen in his room, or he's given up and passed out.*

Last edited by Palooka; 11-12-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
So I'm not a terrible mommy? Or I wasn't until now, at which point he's been going bananas for over an hour? Do I just go get him and bring him into the living room? I'm about to do that.... yup. Doing that. Can't take it.

*2 seconds after posting that the screaming stopped. Either he used up all the oxygen in his room, or he's given up and passed out.*
I do this from time to time. Otherwise my 1 hour of telly is hijacked, and by god, I need that hour.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
No, you're not a terrible mommy. It's so common.

Do what you can, you will get through this.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You might want to read the thread "DS IS STILL AWAKE" under Parenting Talk. You aren't alone mama. I've been struggling w/ the same issue the past few weeks. I've started using music to get my lo to fall asleep and things are starting to get better. I'm amazed that your lo is walking! Wow!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum
I do this from time to time. Otherwise my 1 hour of telly is hijacked, and by god, I need that hour.
Yeah I was not about to skip my steak frites last night. Food is my refuge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro_mom View Post
You might want to read the thread "DS IS STILL AWAKE" under Parenting Talk. You aren't alone mama. I've been struggling w/ the same issue the past few weeks. I've started using music to get my lo to fall asleep and things are starting to get better. I'm amazed that your lo is walking! Wow!
The music is a great idea. We called hubby's mom last night and she also suggested a nightlight that projects shadows on the wall? Just something for him to look at so he doesn't feel like he's in a dungeon. We will try the music tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro_mom View Post
I'm amazed that your lo is walking! Wow!
Thanks! He looks pretty comical being as tiny as he is, but I'm proud. I mentioned the walking because I think it might have something to do with it--many moms have said sleep gets worse when they hit a milestone. But he's been walking for a few weeks, so I don't know. He's babbling a lot more, maybe he's getting ready to say some words? Hubby thinks he's just become too attached to me, which may be true but I do not want to hear it. Hopefully the music and nightlight ideas will improve things.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

as far as projector night lights go, we love these ones:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

and they have a sea turtle that project pictures and stars if you want more than stars.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
sarabirdy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I can totally relate to your post here.....My DS wants to snuggle and nurse all-flipping-night-long......I'm starting to loose my patience, as I have no time for me!!
sarabirdy is offline   Reply With Quote