Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Anyone feel uneasy about early u/s?

Early ultrasounds scare the crap out of me. I refused a dating u/s and I'm really starting to question even a 20 week anatomy scan. In the hospital they use ultrasound to break up Kidney stones, and those are a lot more dense then a 6 week baby. I'm probably a little extreme, I was even rethinking letting them use a doppler.... What are they really going to find on a 20 week scan they they could treat if it was a problem anyway?

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Re: Anyone feel uneasy about early u/s?

If i am not mistaken ultrasounds are perfectly safe and have been proven to have no effects on the fetus I love getting to see our babies before they come out
Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I'm not trying to rain on the parades of the happy mamas getting their early ultrasound photos, thats why I started my own thread. I'm just looking for like-minded people. If you are interested in reading further into the matter I found this article interesting, Lawrence Beech, B. A. (2008). Ultrasound and the safety myth. British Journal Of Midwifery, 16(7), 458-459. .

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 10-30-2012 at 03:27 PM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
txmommytobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
I know it is an individual decision for everyone but i will say my husband has frequent kidney stone attacks and they use ultrasound to view and diagnose them but a laser to break them up
I agree if you are not comfortable with it you should not do it. I had to have several early ultrasound due to being high risk.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Many lithotripsy procedures use high frequency ultrasound to break up the stones.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

(not your DDC, but I'm jumping in)

We had a dating ultrasound just because I literally had no idea when I ovulated and we wanted to make sure it wasn't ectopic since I was having a LOT of sharp pains and discomfort.

I don't use a Doppler, the doctor doesn't use a Doppler, and I will be having no future ultrasounds. I did a lot of research before coming to this conclusion. While any studies that are out there pretty much state that there have to be "excessive" ultrasounds to see any detrimental consequences, it seems like common sense that those consequences would just be on a smaller scale with fewer ultrasounds.

If that's the route you want to go, I say go for it! Good for you, mama.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
tricia17lee
Registered Users
seller

I choose not to do early U/S. if I had symptoms or need I would. I do the 20 week because I think there are benefits to knowing if baby might need further evaluation or surgery after birth. That is the only one I elect for. I do allow the Doppler heart tone checks at appointments. I have great midwives and we don't do routine serviceable checks, PAPs (they only recommend if way overdue or history of issues) and many other less invasive practices.

I think we should always do a risk to benefit ratio for ourselves - I'm happy with the plan that our midwives create with us.
tricia17lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
ElsieCayare
Registered Users

My Mood:
I only do the 20 week unless there is a question about something. With DS he came back with hydronephrosis, so we had a 3rd tri u/s. We also had two u/s at 41 weeks and 41w1d to monitor fluid levels. I think most early u/s are unnecessary and I try to limit extraneous procedures. There is research that shows that fetuses that have multiple u/s ( don't remember the number or age) tend to end up left handed, which tells me that there are some unknown effects.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DS Forum
ElsieCayare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsieCayare
I only do the 20 week unless there is a question about something. With DS he came back with hydronephrosis, so we had a 3rd tri u/s. We also had two u/s at 41 weeks and 41w1d to monitor fluid levels. I think most early u/s are unnecessary and I try to limit extraneous procedures. There is research that shows that fetuses that have multiple u/s ( don't remember the number or age) tend to end up left handed, which tells me that there are some unknown effects.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DS Forum
Those studies (and others) are linked/explained here:

http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor....trasounds.html

And here:

http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor....ltrasound.html
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had 4 children and a million ultrasounds. They are safe, just don't be getting them every other month!
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote