Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

HSing Check In Nov. 13-24 (ish)

What is most important and valuable about the home as a base for children's growth into the world is not that it is a better school than the schools, but that it isn't a school at all. - John Holt

Dates just for you, Heather!

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: HSing Check In Nov. 13-24 (ish)

Jen batten- I just read your last post about your dd getting a new OT? I'm sorry to hear your last one was not great. Do you have a children's hospital near you? My son has seen 6-7 OT's through our children's h and they've all been wonderful. He has one main one and the others were for different programs/splinting. Not seen for autism, but physical issues. Anyway, I hope the new one will be a great fit for your child.

Just got back from the kids' homeschooling Thanksgiving party. Whew! Only 3 moms were there and 13 children... on the smaller side for us, but perfect amount for my patience today (esp. considering the kids were 7 and under). This is what the kids came away with: lots of Settlers died and they ate food. Is there a symbol for patting oneself on the back??? haha. We had an accurate Thanksgiving spread, made Native American head dresses, read books, and played a turkey hunting game... and death and food is what they came home with... yep. haha.

Time to get all of them down for rest time and naps now. Too many candy turkeys and pilgrim hats (our one non-traditional food item!... there has to be some perk, other than nutrition and better survival rates, of living in this century!) has made for crabby children.

Dinosaur Unit starts tomorrow! Anyone do any fun games/have fun ideas for extras for this theme?
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Raisingcropsandbabies--You can just call me Jen--it's not so much to type. My youngest DD Kennah just turned 3, and yes she's getting a new OT. She was diagnosed with FCD (focial cortical dysplasia--it's brain damage) a bit before she turned two. She was in first steps and they were awesome, but we're having trouble finding good therapists now that she's aged out of it. The closest children's hospital is in St. Louis (about 3 hours away), and that's where her neurologist is. St. Louis's childrens hospital is really awesome, but the Thompson center (autism clinic) in Columbia is supposed to be really, really good with spectrum issues as well as SPD, and her ped. highly recommended going for her testing there. I'm hoping her new OT is wonderful because things have been crazy here!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Jen - Thanks for starting a new thread. I like the idea of dates too. I hope you are able to get some answers for your little ones.

We are slowly getting a little school done today. The house needs a lot of cleaning up and I had to run errands this morning and have a meeting later this evening, so we are trying to work on quick lessons here and there to get the basics done today. Hopefully tomorrow we can back to the full schedule.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Jen, good luck with the doctor stuff. My youngest had to do OT for a bit as an infant and it really does make such a difference in who the therapist is.

AFU, the older two did schoolwork today. I haven't done anything with Natalie. Despite actually sleeping well the last couple of nights and exercising this morning, I have been dragging all day today. Still missing some things to do a couple science experiments for Aiden, so he went ahead and started a new chapter and we'll catch up the experiments later. Tomorrow will probably be a shortish day. I have Bible study in the morning, and it's payday, which means shopping -- commissary, Wal-Mart, Michael's, the feed store, and the dry cleaners. I hope that's it. Oh, and the pool store. We still haven't taken care of the pool, and it's quite green now, so need to shock it before we close it down. Thankfully, nothing is out of the way, but it's a lot to do. And church tomorrow night, of course.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, we got no school done today. I worked on making our advent calendar and the kids played...I did teach them how to build a fort between the 2 couches, but no book work today.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Raisingcropsandbabies--You can just call me Jen--it's not so much to type. My youngest DD Kennah just turned 3, and yes she's getting a new OT. She was diagnosed with FCD (focial cortical dysplasia--it's brain damage) a bit before she turned two. She was in first steps and they were awesome, but we're having trouble finding good therapists now that she's aged out of it. The closest children's hospital is in St. Louis (about 3 hours away), and that's where her neurologist is. St. Louis's childrens hospital is really awesome, but the Thompson center (autism clinic) in Columbia is supposed to be really, really good with spectrum issues as well as SPD, and her ped. highly recommended going for her testing there. I'm hoping her new OT is wonderful because things have been crazy here!
The Thompson Center is absolutely fabulous! One of my dc kids goes there (he's since moved on from dc and is now in the 2nd grade). I would also check and see if you have access to Touchpoint services. They are based out of St. Louis, but have a satellite office in Columbia, so they might have one Springfield or Rolla direction. I took a 3 day training seminar through them for working with the above mentioned little boy and I learned so much. The one for parents is 10 hours a day for 3 weeks and his parents completely changed everything they were doing for the better. It helped their family tremendously.

AFU: We didn't do anything yesterday so now we are kind of playing catch-up. Because the kids started during summer, I told them that they could have off between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but now I'm scared to stop. Maybe I can talk them into working 2-3 days a week instead of 4.5. We'll see.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

hey everyone! I'll try to keep up better with this thread then I did with the last !

Right now I'm just bumming online waiting for an auction to end on ebay Trying to win some cool lots for my kids for Christmas....

Jen, love the idea of dates in the title! Thanks for the new thread!

Monday we had a bit of a difficult day with our work and I realized we really need to change our approach. My son needs more hands on experimental and experiential things to do. So... I'm glad it didn't take more days of frustration over our book work to figure that out, and we are switching things up a bit. Monday we gave up on work and went to the park. Met some other homeschoolers and now have a weekly meetup with 2 boys his age (awesome!). We also took a LOONG nature walk, it was absolutely beautiful.

Then yesterday we started a science unit study on living and nonliving things and are going to be notebooking according to what we're going over. More discussions, drawings, collaging (right spelling? word?), journaling, playing type stuff.
I'm inspired now, hopefully it sticks Usually with my inspiration dwindles is when more focus gets put on the book stuff.

Oh, the other things to mention is we met another homeschooling family. I'm SUPER shy and socially awkward so my kids making friends has been a concern for me. And the other homeschooled kids my DS is friends with are my nephews, who tend to be a little condecending sometimes, and sometimes they "band together" and make fun of DS..... so I don't really LOVE that relationship...yk?
But this family is super easy to talk to... seem like they are accepting of regular people (is that as hard to find to you guys as it seems to be for me?)
And I'm so happy to have a weekly meetup now with kids DS can relate to!
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all the well wishes for Kennah! Kristin, would you care to give me a bit more info on the touchpoint service thing? I don't really know what that is. You can PM me if you want.

Rain--Hooray for finding a new family that you fit with and and new friend for DS. I'm not sure what you mean by regular people though...HSers, crunchy, non-crunchy...I guess I don't know your definition of regular. People are fairly friendly around here though so I haven't had too much trouble finding other families. I do wish there were more though.

AFU, today we did a fairly light day because this afternoon will be a couple errands and we've switched gymnastics to Wednesdays and then church tonight. The reading went much better than yesterday so we'll see what tomorrow does.

Last edited by jen_batten; 11-14-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

I am really dragging today. My meeting went very late last night and today I am just unmotivated. Hopefully we will still get some school in later today. Right now the boys are helping Grandpa put the final touches on the chicken coop. It should be weatherproof for the winter and ready for our chicks in the spring. I am also thinking my boys need some more hands on projects.
I want to try to do a until study about thanksgiving next week so I'm trying to get stuff together for that. I just wish I could get the older ones reading with more fluency so I didn't have to read everything to them. Sorry for rambling on, my brain isn't focusing very well right now. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.