Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HSing Check In Nov. 13-24 (ish)

We are just reading a book this week and talking about Thanksgiving. The kids are super excited that Grandma and Grandpa are coming so we have a lot of focus/behavior issues leading up to them getting here. I am going to try and pull together some craft stuff that they can do on Thanksgiving with Grandma while I am cooking dinner.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Everyone! Sorry to be MIA. I'm just not able to get on and actually type much.

Jen - Thanks for the dates! Love it! You asked me a while back if we were doing the reading games. Not really. I would like to do it more, but we just can't get to it. He seems to really need more practice reading in sentences and stories anyway. Reading one word isn't as difficult for him. So, I try to have him do more reading in context. But, we have played some of them. The one he liked the most was just using a white board. I wrote the word and when he read it, he got to erase it. He LOVES white boards. We actually do all the reading word lists on a white board instead. He has one and I have one. He draws on the one whiteboard while I write the words on the other for him to read from. Drawing on the other saves both our sanity. He can't stay focused AT ALL when we do it in the book. He can't focus if he can't doodle or illustrate the word. I can't stand that because it makes the page super messy. So, we do it on a white board and it goes much better for both of us.

AFM - We've been doing school very consistently. We finished day 59 of MFW 1st today. I can't wait to do day 60 tomorrow. For some reason, it's like a milestone day to me. We will then have exactly 100 days left.

I have FINALLY figured out the math thing. It's only taken me all of K and a third of 1st to get there. I'm so glad that I followed my instinct and got the teacher's manual for the Singapore curriculum. I have read over and over that the Home Instructor's Guide is unnecessary. But for me, it is EXACTLY what I've been needing. It tells me exactly what and how to teach and when. Without this book, the curriculum doesn't seem like it's hands on at all, but it actually is when you follow the plan. LOL. We are both loving the program. Today, Zack told me he wants to do extra math everyday. (I wasn't having him to extra. He just loves doing it.) I'm so relieved that this is working and I feel like I have a direction.

We aren't really taking off much for Thanksgiving. I am hosting though. So, probably just Wed and Thursday.

Gotta run.....
Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm still here. We didn't do any work yesterday as DH informed me on Sunday evening that he was going to take Monday off. So I moved most of my plans around (not that we were having a heavy work week anyway, but now we're doing less). Then today, DS wasn't feeling well and didn't go to pre-k. I still needed to pick up scrip before tomorrow, so we headed out and decided on the way to have a picnic in the park since it was so nice. I did make the girls work on an essay and math lesson when we got home and I've penciled in a couple things for Friday too. We'll see what actually happens.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #24
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

I'm still here too. We are just doing Thanksgiving related stuff this week. We've read a couple of great Thanksgiving books and watched the Charlie Brown Mayflower DVD. I also printed off some mazes with thanksgiving themes and coloring pages of course. The kids helped Gramme make some pumpkin pies as "testers" yesterday from pumpkins we cooked down last week. We have more books to read and are going to make hand and feet turkeys tomorrow. I want to try to throw in a little more math tomorrow too. Happy Thanksgiving to all you mamas and your families!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today was a successful day DD2 actually did her hand writing practice today and a coloring page and she stayed in the lines. DD1 did a great job too she skipped out on a couple things but I guess we can catch up tomorrow. I am off to print a mini book about thanks giving for DD1 to do tomorrow. and I need to find another craft for them both to do something with counting for DD2 she needs to practice counting more and identifying numbers. I also scored some counting tiles at home depo yesterday 2 bucks for 78 mini tiles that are now our counters for math and they are a cool color i think I am going to find a jar to keep them in on the table

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #26
3boys_mom
Registered Users

I'm here too....My take it easy for the holiday week has turned in to work in the yard with daddy all day. Oh well....must remember life skills. I'm still counting these days....

I know it was mentioned originally....but would anyone mind posting grades/ages again. It seems there are a lot of the younger set (K and 1). I was wondering how many older ones there are.

My two that I mainly deal with right now are 4th and 2nd. My pre-K/K boy is fighting with me and it's not worth my sanity to force him. I planned on two years of K any way....
Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're pre-k, 4th and 6th at our house!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #28
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

We have Pre-K (4), K (6), 2nd (8), and 3rd (9). I also have a 2 year old and a 1 year old, but am blessed to have help from my mom, who lives next door, on most days. Today was more Thanksgiving reading and some math. DS1 also did some hooked on spelling on the computer. Can't wait to eat turkey tomorrow!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #29
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
I have a fifth grader and preschooler
Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My only formal schooler is 7 and in first grade. I also have twins who are 4, about to turn 5 in 3 wks, twins who are 2.5 and a 6wk old.

I'm glad to see you all check in.

I'm sure we are the only crazy family doing school today. But, my husband had to work. So, why not. As I've said many times, our day goes better when we stay on routine.

So far, we've done Bible and Zack did his handwriting practice by copying his verse. We are planning to do math next and hopefully read a book later on our science topic (planets) for this "week." I put my week in quotes because our weeks don't start and stop on Monday and Friday. They start (and end) on whatever day we happen to start a new section (which is indicated by a new memory verse and new science topic), it's not the same each week.

I'm in heavy research mode for 2nd next year right now.

Looking for advice - I'm also trying to decide when to start my 4 year olds in K. They are going to turn 5 in 3 wks. My daughter is totally ready to start a formal curriculum. But her twin brother....not so much. I know he could do the work, but I'm not sure he is ready to sit down and have a real curriculum. I was thinking I might start them in Jan, but then realized he might not be ready yet. I don't want to make her wait though. Of course, with them being the same age, I want to keep them together even in LA and math if I can, especially for now while there is almost no independent work. Oh the joys of twins. I think I'm going to try it but slow it down to only 2-3 days a week. I'm hoping that will fit them both. Any thoughts or advice?