Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Are flushable liners okay for septic systems?

I read on GMD that they're not, but wanted opinions from people that use them and HAVE septic systems.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
AmandaA
Registered Users
seller

Re: Are flushable liners okay for septic systems?

I tried several different brands early on (pre-sprayer, in the end they just weren't for me) and they all had a disclaimer on using flushing them with older plumbing or septic systems despite being advertised as "flushable". Honestly, I wouldn't do it even if the package said it was okay. DH would wring my neck if he caught me flushing anything besides TP. Your septic is too important and too expensive to risk messing with IMO.
AmandaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

We have a septic system and there's no way I'd flush a liner down it!
yogamama28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ah shoot, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the input!
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
qhorses8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My plumber husband says no wet flushable wipes, no diaper liners, no grease down the drain and no garbage disposal. The main way things get out of your septic tank / drain field is evaporation. If things don't dissolve easy in water they don't get out and they have to be pumped. Most people don't know it needs to be pumped till it is backed up in their basement or yard--Yuck!
qhorses8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaA
Your septic is too important and too expensive to risk messing with IMO.
This. Septic servicing and making sure the tank is balanced is expensive enough as it is, not to mention how expensive it is to fix if something goes wrong.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

I don't flush ours, but I also can't attach a sprayer. The wet ones just go in the bathroom trash, the poopy ones get shaken over the toilet and then thrown in the trash, I use fleece liners a lot too, but sometimes they get annoying in the wash and I'm lazy.... but I really love having flushable liners when we are out because I really strongly dislike carrying poop home in my wetbag.
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhorses8 View Post
My plumber husband says no wet flushable wipes, no diaper liners, no grease down the drain and no garbage disposal. The main way things get out of your septic tank / drain field is evaporation. If things don't dissolve easy in water they don't get out and they have to be pumped. Most people don't know it needs to be pumped till it is backed up in their basement or yard--Yuck!
Really? People don't know that they need to pump their septics? We do ours every two years.

We bought this home with a garbage disposal AND a second septic tank, that is apparently JUST for the said disposal. Strange, I know.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
qhorses8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cntrykids View Post
Really? People don't know that they need to pump their septics? We do ours every two years.

We bought this home with a garbage disposal AND a second septic tank, that is apparently JUST for the said disposal. Strange, I know.
Second septic tank, that had to be expensive when built.
qhorses8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhorses8 View Post
Second septic tank, that had to be expensive when built.
I know, we thought so too. We live in an old farmhouse and the guy that owned it before us totally remodled the upstairs and mainfloor. I wish he would have finished the basement though.