Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Denied Prenatal Care?

The Dr could be sued very easily. By allowing you in his practice, he's accepting you in a patient-provider relationship. That comes with certain responsibilities on his part. If you go through with your HBAC and transfer to him in an emergency in labor and that emergency has an adverse outcome, you would have very strong grounds to sue, especially considering you had an established patient-provider relationship. Honestly, I wouldnt' accept you as a patient either. It's too much of a liability on my part. Further, I really think it's disrespectful. Like you trust him enough to have him provide you with prenatal care but you don't trust him enough to deliver your baby? Not only that, but by establishing that you are a homebirth patient, you're basically coming right out and saying you're going to be difficult- refusing all sorts of testing that he medically recommends, again putting him at liability. Another reason not to accept you into the practice. I"m not saying it's fun for YOU, but he's doing what he has to do to protect his practice and stay true to his principles.

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737
Further, I really think it's disrespectful. Like you trust him enough to have him provide you with prenatal care but you don't trust him enough to deliver your baby? Not only that, but by establishing that you are a homebirth patient, you're basically coming right out and saying you're going to be difficult- refusing all sorts of testing that he medically recommends, again putting him at liability.
If it were just a matter of him delivering my baby, it would be disrespectful - it's not. Last time, I didn't even SEE my doctor for 30 full hours, and then only for a few minutes near the end. I was stuck with a parade of residents, nurses, and students of varying attitude and skill. I was given terrible advice and pushed into intervention after intervention despite having a clear, printed birth plan. Its not that I don't want a doctor to deliver my baby, it's that I don't want a HOSPITAL to deliver my baby.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Its not that I don't want a doctor to deliver my baby, it's that I don't want a HOSPITAL to deliver my baby.
I've talked to multiple OBs who would be more than willing to help me birth how I want, but then the hospital has to muck things up, lol.

I'm going to have to have this conversation with my OB in a couple of weeks and let him know that I'm considering a homebirth this time. If he read my intake paperwork carefully, he'll see that DS1 was a homebirth (but if not, I'll mention it to him at the appointment anyway). I'm a VBAC this time, which slightly complicates things, but I have to let him know that this isn't a decision I'm making lightly, and that the hospital might not be the best place for me to birth in.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
Like you trust him enough to have him provide you with prenatal care but you don't trust him enough to deliver your baby? Not only that, but by establishing that you are a homebirth patient, you're basically coming right out and saying you're going to be difficult- refusing all sorts of testing that he medically recommends, again putting him at liability.
She's not saying she doesn't want him delivering, but that she doesn't want to deal with the hospital's "standard protocols" for labor and birth - that is much different than having problems with the Dr himself.

She is going to this OB because she wants testing done that her MW doesn't do/provide. Yes, possibly she will decline some of the tests he recommends (as Drs/OBs recommend too much/too invasive tests under normal circumstances), but she obviously isn't against all of them or she wouldn't be there at all.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Was his reasoning that all HBAC/VBAC cases are risky, or just yours in particular?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
Your midwife doesn't have someone she regularly works with that she sends you to for the testing that you want? I get minimal testing (like blood only, really), so I wouldn't know the usual method when it comes to the quad screens and such, but I'm pretty sure my midwives would generally send people out to clinics and not actual OB offices....
Yep this, my midwife is about an hour away from me and sends me to labs for blood work, urine tests and ultrasounds. You can go about this two ways, one pick an OB and lie to them then "change your mind" and do a homebirth. Two, go with the midwife and have her order the tests. The bummer with the second which I can tell you from personal experience is you pay out of pocket for many of those tests. Bottom line, you are a liability to a practice and they cannot be your OB if they know you are having a home birth regardless of the history of a c-section. That is just the way our medical system is, they are always worried that you will sue.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque
Was his reasoning that all HBAC/VBAC cases are risky, or just yours in particular?
All HBACs; he was "open" to hospital TOL/VBAC...provided I agreed to constant fetal monitoring, IV, etc...

He said any midwife who agreed to do an HBAC was foolish and didn't know what they were getting into.

The thing that really made me not want this OB anyway was when he said that women who dilate completely but then have a CS are unlikely to ever have a vaginal birth. That's where he said 10% chance of success (even in hospital). Never mind that DD was sunny-side up and they only noticed after 24 hours (and didn't tell me what that meant or that I could/should do anything about it) - or that I was told not to eat for over 30 hours - or that they pushed pit, then an epi on me (knowing that an epi can adversely affect fetal positioning) - or that they only let me push for two hours...sorry about the rant. I know I have a wonderful little girl now, but I do still have a lot of anger and resentment over the birth experience.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you go to the local health department for tests? I'm having a homebirth as well and was in the same boat as you trying to find an ob or lab to do the tests and everyone said I was a liability and would not see me.The health department let me make an appt for the labs and tests I needed done and all I had to pay was $5 for each visit.The last test I have to do is the group b strep test and then I am done.I will have spent a total of $10 for all labs and tests and they will give me my homebirth kit for free as well.Oh and I don't qualify for any state or federal help either this just happens to be a service my state's health Dept offers at low cost.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
If I were a smoker and refused to quit smoking, they wouldn't just say "sorry, we can't give you any medical care unless you quit?"
Actually, my SIL's ped won't see patients if either parent smokes. You get dismissed from the practice. It is a deal breaker for some doctors. Its a business. Follow their protocols, or find another provider. They get to pick their patients just like you get to pick your doctor. If it hits them in the pocketbook, they'll change their policy.

I would try to find another group because it seems you have fundamental differences of opinion with this one.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I can say that I've had 2 vbacs in a hospital and didn't have all the restrictions you're referring to. My doc and I discussed how it would all be handled and it was great. I had a doula there to support me for the first vbac and she was my advocate to ensure my desire for "least medical interventions" possible. I felt relieved knowing I was there in case something happened and needed it. They did an IV port but never put an IV in, they allowed me to have a portable monitor so I could move around, but still keep an eye on my baby.