Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When can you safely put a blanket in crib?

O.K., I'm a first time mom and it's getting kind of cold here. I have a 9 month old and I've been putting my lo in the one-piece baby pajamas that have the footies (I know they have a name but I'm blanking out right now) and a halo sleep sack. Last winter, I layered him w/ a onsie, jammies, and a sleep sack. However, he's a chunk and I'm lucky to get a 12 month pajama over his cloth diaper. I feel bad putting him only in the pajama and sleep sack because I use more than one blanket to stay warm. So when is it safe to start putting a blanket in the crib? Is it ever safe? I guess I could layer him w/ another sleep sack but that's a lot of clothes to undo if he needs a diaper change early in the morning (which he usually does). Should I be putting a hat on his head like I did when he was a newborn? His hands also end up being exposed because he is in a sleep sack and not covered w/ a blanket - I stick my hands under the covers when I'm in bed so I would think that he'd be more comfortable if his hands were covered as well.

I'd ask my mother but we had a battle over the whole "back is best" when he was a newborn. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: When can you safely put a blanket in crib?

I would say at 9 months a blanket should not be in the crib. We always did the Halo sleep sack layered with footie pjs. Even if you did put a blanket in the crib, babies tend to move when they sleep so the blanket would just end up being kicked off. A hat would most likely not stay on either.

My daughter just turned a year old (she is my third) and I would feel comfortable putting a small blanket in her curb- I don't though because she would totally kick it off. We actually ended up buying a Vornado heater for the girls' room to keep it warm (the heat in our rented townhouse stinks). Now I just put the one year old to bed in normal pjs and she stays nice and warm.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

This sounds like its stressing you out so much. It would me, too.

I cosleep and live in a warm climate so this isn't something I have ever had to decide on.

But, I will say that by 9 months my daughter had a very strong core, could sit from a laying position and was nearly walking. Her physical strength would have probably eased my mind in your shoes, and I would have given her a blanket.

I'm not sure about my son. He wasn't as strong or as mobile and I could see him getting tangled up in a blanket and not being able to get loose at that age.

Baby center says 12 months, but cites the strength and dexterity to move the blanket away from their face as a main reason.

http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-c...ket_1368444.bc
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

How cold is it getting? I think Carter's fleece footies are best. My son is in 2t now.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Oh... And Vornado heaters are awesome!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

We started adding a small blanket when baby was around 10 months old. It's a knit wool blanket with lots of breathability, and I check it often for any signs of fraying. Although honestly it was totally useless. Even if I could get her to lay down and lay it on top of her, she rolled/kicked it off pretty quick.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing, but don't stress too much. If you see him in the middle of the night or morning, how warm does he feel? If his hands and feet seem fine I probably wouldn't worry about it. If he seems chilly can you up the heat a little bit?
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
hollydawn
Registered Users
seller

My 13 month old sleeps in Jammies, cotton or bamboo, and wears a fleece halo sleep sack. He has the one that has feet now so if he ever decides he's going to stand it won't hinder him. I still don't feel comfortable with a blanket in his crib at night but that could be due to the fact that he's behind with his gross motor skills. I do use a blanket for naps.

I leave the thermostat between 70 and 72 at night and his body temp seems just right in the morning.
hollydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Once my kids can kick off a blanket, I feel fine giving them one in the crib. DD2 is 6 months and for all the good it does she gets one in the crib. But she mostly kicks it off, so it really doesn't help much. Honestly a good sleeper and a sleep sack should be more than enough to keep your child warm in a heated house. Is he actually waking up cold or are you just worried that he will? At 9 months he's way better at keeping his temperature even than he was last year as a newbie.

ETA: the crib blankets I use are thin ones, cotton, fleece or knit afgans. We don't start getting into thick comforters until they're in toddler/single beds. I don't even own crib sized comforters.

Last edited by Computermama; 11-13-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter has slept with a blanket since birth. She now cosleeps with me but has her own blanket.
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have tons of friends who put blankets in the crib at birth. so, I have a hard time thinking it would be a big deal for a 9 month old.

BUT.. I used much bigger jammies for my daughter when her 'current size' wasn't fitting over her diapers and we used a sleep sack with the leg holes until about 18months. At that point it was summer, so we took off the sleep sack and probably started giving her a blanket at 22 or so months.

ETA: due to the shape of our house, we also had to put an electric heater in her room at about 15months. We did it as safely as possible and never had any issues - but her room was like a freezer with 3 external walls, an external floor and an external ceiling.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 11-13-2012 at 09:36 AM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote