Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Your least favorite cliche said to parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
I like, "oh, you think it's bad now? Wait til s/he starts walking (or talking)"
I hate this. It's like people really do love to be negative.. well, of course they do, I've talked to enough people to know that people love to be negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
"Or wait until they are teenagers..."

When we were pregnant, it seemed everyone said to us, "Your life is going to change."

Huh. No, really? I didn't get that from planning a baby at all."
someone gave me the teenager line the other day, I said something to the effect of 'teenagers and 2yos have a lot in common from what I understand'.

and the other.. yeah.. it wasn't a whim - let's just have a baby!! people do sometimes plan it out. Of course, we knew our life was going to change, but the sheer girth of all the changes is still surprising sometimes. I still find myself thinking I can do certain things and then going 'oh wait, no I can't - I have a toddler!'. and DH is a little afraid of having a newbie again because he slightly remembers the newbie stage (he was deployed for most of it, so I don't know what he's really worried about except the first 2 months).

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
loveramongstars
Registered Users

When somebody sees u pregnant and say, "You know what causes that, right?"
No, I don't. A baby just popped in my belly. Lol

Sent from my Inspire. Hope everything makes sense!

Lover Among Stars, a blog about my journey as a single mom with my little one.
loveramongstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
"Just wait until... [insert something negative]"
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

"Enjoy every second"

Really even the tantrum and poop filled ones? Even the ones spent with screaming kids while stuck in traffic? What about the those loooong teething periods?

It's ok to not be able to WAIT for some parts of babyhood and early childhood to be over.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'sMommy:) View Post
I get this a lot. Please don't get me wrong as I love my baby more than anything in the whole world but he's just a down right HORRIBLE baby! I get so frustrated bc literally nothing satisfies him. He cries/fusses constantly and there's really nothing that anyone can do. He's perfectly healthy and all, he's just super fussy. Anytime we're around people and he fusses, they'll suggest he's hungry or may need his diaper changed and (knowing I just did all of those things) I'll simply explain that he's just not a pleasant baby and they're like, "Yes he is but it'll get better."

He is our first and my husband and I have decided that he will be our last as neither of us feel like we can do this again. People will ask when we want another and when we explain that bc we've had such a hard time with Owen we don't want anymore it's like they're offended. They'll say, "he needs a sibling." Or "what about when you and dh are gone?" Oh and my favorite(from my grandfather): "He's GOT to have a sister!" Uhm, no! We are not having any more children. If they want him to have a sibling so bad, I welcome them to start TTC, get pregnant, carry the baby, give birth, pay the THOUSANDS of dollars in medical bills that I have piled high, and raise it then I'll take over.

Sorry for the rant. Those 2 things just get me so fired up!
Oh god, my dd was/is exactly the same. She's 3 now and we're just now starting to think maybe in a year or so we'll try again (maybe she'll be sleeping through the night by then? by 4? please?!). But in that vein, the "oh, you only have one, you don't even know what being a parent is REALLY like" type stuff. Seriously, I know people who have 2 or 3 kids, even infants, who are woken up less than I am STILL, so yeah, I think I'm pretty well initiated. Or the assumption that I have nothing but time and money to help people with lots of kids since I'm just sitting around doing nothing all day. I mean, honestly, I'm sure I'm not as busy as people who have like 5 kids, but that's my choice and people who choose big families made their own choices too. Yikes, I guess I had a little pent up rage there .
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm
"Enjoy every second"

Really even the tantrum and poop filled ones? Even the ones spent with screaming kids while stuck in traffic? What about the those loooong teething periods?

It's ok to not be able to WAIT for some parts of babyhood and early childhood to be over.
...aaand even when my 15 month old sneaks over to the cupboard my husband accidentally left open, steals a full bottle of tamari sauce, brings it all the way up the stairs and into our bedroom and dumps it all over the floor? Is that the kind of moment I should be enjoying?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm
"Enjoy every second"

Yeah, enjoy every second. I thought of this one today, as nearly every second my 2yr old asked me for "big huggies, mommy?". Don't get me wrong, i love hugs from my babies. Yes, it may be cute and sweet, but alllllll day long? While I'm taking food out of the hot oven? While I'm rinsing his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th poopy diaper out in the potty? Washing dishes, folding laundry? Or even the 3 times he woke me up in the middle of the night last night? It's frustrating!
I try to think of these difficult moments as how I will view them as memories. This will be funny in the future. Even the constant crying and misery that he was for the first 6 months of his life is funny now. Gosh, he was a terrible infant! So, even though new difficulties arise as our children grow, the problems of today will not be the problems of tomorrow, and YES!, it does get better. (Only to be replaced by something else!)
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #18
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone
The "It's just a phase, it will pass." I get so annoyed when I hear that. I don't care if it's just a phase, if it's hard it's hard. That and I already know it's just a phase.
Yup. I HATE this. Being a phase is not helping my sanity any. Equally unhelpful: Sounds like a normal *insert age here* boy to me.

Great...now how do I get him to stop randomly screaming like a banshee? It's been normal for his age for about 3.5 years...
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #19
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Whenever I see a little baby I try to give a specific compliment that shows I have actually looked at said baby. As a result I dislike it when people just throw out 'oh what a cute baby' without even looking at her. Cuz, really, she's in a wrap with her face buried and all you can see is a tuft of hair-are you sure she's cute?
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

It's related to pregnancy but it really annoys me when a pregnant woman complain about something regarding her pregnancy (anything) and someone gets on her case about being greatful fo rthe miracle because so many women cannot get pregnant and would love to be in her shoes.

I get that. It's a horrible thing that wonderful people can have difficulty with TTC but that doesn't mean you have to enjoy every single moment of pregnancy. Pregnancy can be really really tough, and even if you are thankful to be pregnant and not want to change it for the world, there are bad moments. And it's perfectly ok not to be happy 100% of the time.