Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyones lo have a degenerative condition?

DS has an inner ear abnormality that is degenerative. Right now he uses hearing aides. He tends to lose hearing in chunks, and then stays stable for a time.
My problem is that he doesn't qualify for any deaf/HOH services because its not severe enough yet. Seems silly that they wouldn't want to help him before we get to that point. We have a meeting next week and his teachers really are trying to find a loop hole to keep him getting services but aren't finding any.
Just wondering if anyone else had a similar situation and if your child got services?

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyones lo have a degenerative condition?

Anyone?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Where are you located mama? Local to me there is a large counseling agency (my son is there for issues related to his foster/adoption) that has a deaf services division. You would get in under the counseling relating to parenting him through his challenges, and then they add their continum of services based on the child's needs. Is there something like this near you?

http://www.aspireindiana.org/deaf_services.html
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Where are you located mama? Local to me there is a large counseling agency (my son is there for issues related to his foster/adoption) that has a deaf services division. You would get in under the counseling relating to parenting him through his challenges, and then they add their continum of services based on the child's needs. Is there something like this near you?

http://www.aspireindiana.org/deaf_services.html
I'm in very rural Minnesota. We did find out that since he's failed 3 audio grams in 6 months they might be able to do something.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How does he not qualify for services? Does the hearing loss not effect his speech or hearing? I'm confused. If there is ANY delay and I mean any at all he should qualify for some services through section 504 at least for school.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell
How does he not qualify for services? Does the hearing loss not effect his speech or hearing? I'm confused. If there is ANY delay and I mean any at all he should qualify for some services through section 504 at least for school.
They say there is not enough of a delay, he's been getting speech for 4 years. His articulation is not good, I think the problem is that he can make the sounds, but doesn't in his routine speech since he doesn't hear it that way? Does that make sense? So when they test him 1:1 and they're right infront of him talking he does fine with repeating what they are saying to him.
I won't know exactly what their testing results are until Wednesday at our meeting. The email I got last night said if the 3 failed audio grams don't quality him they'll do a 504, what is that?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
jennyfa
Registered Users

A 504 plan allows for schools to give modifications and accommodations to access curriculum to students with disabilities that do not affect their learning. It is not as strong of protection legally as an IEP, but they may be able to use it to get him services. I had a student on a 504 plan for example that provided him with a speaker system in the classroom and small group/extended time for tests.
jennyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just thought I'd update, we had another audiology appointment today and he will now qualify for deaf/hoh services. The bad news is that he has lost more hearing, but the good news is that atleast now he qualifies for help.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad that he is able to get help. I don't know anything about it... But you should check out
facebook.com/mommiesofmiracles

There are a lot of moms on there (well over 13,000), I'm sure you'll get some good advice. If you're not on facebook, their website is www.mommiesofmiracles.com
PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote