Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How long can we reaf-face for?

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/advocate-70-g3

Can someone help me understand this? She can rearface as long as she is under 49 inches and under 40 pounds? What is seated shoulder height? Not sure how to measure. Directions are probably on the Britax site somewhere. Haven't found yet. Also, have to figure out how to raise the part surrounding her head (can't recall the term for this at the moment!) Off to look for the manual on line. Realized it should be higher this morning!!

Advertisement

GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Re: How long can we reaf-face for?

40 pound max weight limit, and when she has less than an inch of shell above her head. Then she needs to turn FF in that carseat.

Seated height is their height when they are sitting straight, butt on ground, back to wall measuring style. Since some kids have longer legs, shorter legs (IE: their torso/seated height will be different, even if they are technically the same overall height), most people don't follow carseat "height" advisements. That is of course a parental decision. But the general rule of thumb is an inch of shell over their heads to RF.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 11-11-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
40 pound max weight limit, and when she has less than an inch of shell above her head. Then she needs to turn FF in that carseat.

Seated height is their height when they are sitting straight, butt on ground, back to wall measuring style. Since some kids have longer legs, shorter legs (IE: their torso/seated height will be different, even if they are technically the same overall height), most people don't follow carseat "height" advisements. That is of course a parental decision. But the general rule of thumb is an inch of shell over their heads to RF.
Thanks. So, seated height is from their bottom to top of their head while seated in the carseat?

Also, just figured out that the headrest pulls up from the top in britax seats. If it is pulled up above the "shell", which it looks like it can be, then do I count the headrest as part of the "shell" or just the shell of the entire seat?

And, last question -- if there is not one inch above her head, then wouldn't she have outgrown the seat entirely?? Rear or forward facing? My daughter is 21 months, and approx 33 inches and she seems quite close to the top of the seat already???

I really have no experience with this and very much appreciate your help!!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I would just sit her on the ground in the house and measure on a wall.

Someone more experienced will have to come along to answer on the part that pulls up, but in your manual it should say how many clicks up the headrest can go for RF'ing. Usually they can go up X amount for RF'ing, then must go to FF'ing once they are too tall for that.

An inch of shell above her head for RF'ing, and for FF'ing it's usually the tips of the ears to the top of the shell, or when they grow over the top slots. For FF'ing, the shoulder straps should be at or above their shoulders, for RF'ing it's at or below.

She definitely still has lots of room to grow in that seat at that size and age. The headrest can go up for RF'ing, I'm just not sure how many clicks up it can go so check your manual on that. I don't want to misinform you.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 11-11-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much. I will measure her sitting up against a wall. We just did that with standing. That's how I got the 33.

I just tried and totally could not move the headrest. Grrr. Will look for manual still.

Thanks again.

ETA: I think I figured out headrest. I need to pull straps all the way out first. I am not very mechanically inclined!!

Last edited by GreyMum; 11-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Actually seated shoulder height is from their bum to their shoulder - make sure they're sitting up good and tall. It's basically measuring what the harness has to cover.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Torso height is bum to shoulder
Seated height is bum to top of head.
Torso height is important for forward facing - because the shoulders cannot go above the harness position.
Seated height is important for rear-facing because of the head's position in relationship to the shell.
My understanding is that the Britax seats don't count the head rest when measuring rear-facing distance. But I could be wrong. Check your manual. It should tell you for sure.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and I just noticed that on the Britax website it mentions "seated shoulder height" which would be the same as "torso height." And totally different from overall seated height.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

The Britax convertibles can be used rear facing until an overall height of 49", but only if there is at least 1" of *shell* above the child's head. So most kids outgrow it by height (RF) long before 49". The majority of kids will last to at least age 3 (RF), although veryvery tall kids or those with veryvery long torsos may outgrow it sooner. I'd guess that the average overall height for outgrowing it RF is around 38-40", probably around shirt size 4T.

Often kids have a torso growth spurt early and then have a legs growth spurt a little later. Depending on the timing of this, sometimes a kid can seem to be on the verge of outgrowing a seat for a very LONG time.

Also be sure that you're measuring RF height room by looking at where the top of her head is measured *perpendicular* to the shell of the seat. It usually looks outgrown long before it actually is. If you post a picture we might be able to help you determine how much growing room she has.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, it's on page 5 of the manual. Child's head must be 1" below the top of the child seat shell. Not the adjustable head rest.

Britax seats are stupidly short for RF, unfortunately. Most other comparably priced seats last a LOT longer for RF.