Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: any EBF mommas NOT wait?

We started DS1 with solids around 6 months, and honestly, it could have been longer because he would eat but he wasn't super interested in food. DS2 is 5 months tomorrow and he's SO interested in food and has been for awhile. We sliced him some avacado and he went for it, gummed on it for a few minutes, squished it in his hands and dropped it. So basically, even though he's interested, I don't think he's actually ready. Good readiness signs are unsupported sitting, able to grab food and bring to mouth, and not thrust the food out with their tongue. That could be at a different age for each baby. The main thing is not to let anyone pressure you.

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #22
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

We started introducing solids to ds1 when he was about 6 mos. He wasn't too interested/ready then and we backed off. We tried again when he was about 8 mos. He was ready then because he would mimic us chewing and wanted to try the foods we're eating. My parents were constantly asking but we were never pressured or feel otherwise. We've always maintained that when ds is ready, he'll let us know. That's the approach we're taking with our babe...whenever babe decides to come!
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Meganeliz9
Registered Users
seller

Is it weird that I'm really excited to start my baby on solids? He's not even close to ready--4mo, but born a month early. Although the comment earlier about the first non-EBF poop diaper has me thinking twice
Meganeliz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #24
JamesMarie
Registered Users

My Mood:

my oldest (17 yrs) started cereal at about 4 weeks - dr suggested! - and veggies at around 4 months
my middle (8 yrs) started cereal at around 5 months and veggies at around 6 months
my youngest (4 months & EBF up till now) is already trying to steal food off of my plate if I'm holding him while I eat...
we pretty much go by baby led feeding so I have given him a couple of spoon fulls of cereal after he nurses at night before he goes to bed and he loves it... will probably do that for a few weeks and then see about veggies - if he isn't interested then we will wait longer at this point - I think it is just to give him new "tastes" not at all for nutrition and if he hadn't acted interested I wouldn't have even thought about it..
JamesMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #25
ZoeyMakesThree
Registered Users
seller
seller

We started solids at 4 months with both kids and it worked great.
ZoeyMakesThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #26
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I started solids with my now 15 yr old at 4 months. It was the thing to do back them. He did fine. He did have a lactose intolerance that lasted from 2 - 4 yrs old. But I do not think it is related. I am sensitive to dairy and so are all my kids to some degree.

My now 4 yr old was introduced at 6 months but had no interest in solid food till over 2 years old. He was developementally delayed and diagnosed with PDD NOS. He has no known food allergies.

My now 3 yr old started aeound 6-8 months and is a great eater. He never had any food related issues, but had many food allergies under 2 yrs old. Dairy and citric acid were his main allergies. He has since outgrown both, but remains sensitive like me.

My now 7 1/2 month old gets food on occassion. He will eat it, but is not overly interested. He still pushes it out a bit but is getting better. He has no known food allergies that we know of as of yet.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
LindsiLu
Registered Users
seller

I started between 4-5 months for both my girls. My oldest has no allergies, but she didn't do well with cereal, so I went straight to veggies for my youngest. So far pumpkin and potatoes. with my oldest i slowly introduced her to new foods and then i would always just set some of what i was making for dinner aside to blend up for her, no seasoning and BM added for desired thin/thickness
LindsiLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #28
nickiep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It feels nice to hear that I am not the only one struggling with when to introduce solids.. I am not sure if my LO is ready yet but i plan to try out rice cereal and bananas sometime soon. He is 4 mths and EBF and i am waiting another 2 - 3 weeks. If he doesn't like it I am not going to force him.
nickiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #29
melahknee
Registered Users

I started my youngest on solids at 5 months and he's 6 months now, I've noticed that on days he doesn't eat solids he doesn't sleep as well that night
melahknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #30
Jomama521
Registered Users

Was not able to ebf but my big guy was ready for solids at around 5 months. He would not nap well or sleep through the night because he was hungry and no amount of formula seemed to suffice. At 6.5 months he weighs 20 lbs. and is 28.5 inches long. He loves to sit at the table and eat with us. He does not tolerate anything but very fine purées. I think it just varies from child to child!
Jomama521 is offline   Reply With Quote