Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Saving Diapers

We are getting ready to sell a bunch of diapers we aren't using, but I'm wondering which ones we should keep for baby #2? Obviously prefolds, but what about fitteds, AIOs and covers? We don't use pockets so I'm selling all of those fore sure, but I guess it's mostly the fitteds that I'm concerned about the elastics.

Advertisement

Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Saving Diapers

I think it depends on how long they will be stored. I bet a few years will be okay but if it's a while and they are in an attic, I also would be concerned about the elastics. It would also depend on how much you like the diapers.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've decided to sell anything with elastic when DD is out of diapers. I'd hate for the elastic to go bad in them. Plus, I think it will be fun to buy new things in a couple of years!

I am keeping prefolds though!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I would sell everything with elastic. I stored mine for less than one year in a dresser in the house, and they were shot when I pulled them out.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

It truly depends on how dry your environment is where you store them. Elastic likes higher humidity, so storing them in the attic might be bad. Often you can salvage your elastic by soaking them overnight to rehydrate. What you don't want to do is try to majorly stretch them when you take them out of storage. Gently start to pull and if you hear any crinkle stop and throw in the washer to soak overnight. This saved a few of my diapers that got dried out.

Also the age and condition of the diaper effects longevity to. A diaper in good condition, stored in the main house that has a humidifier on in the winter or dry summer in an arid region will last upwards of 3 years. I know this, as I had mine stored this way and those were fine. The one in poor condition were not as good, but that could have been my memory of their condition. The ones I had stored in the shed were pretty shoot by year 2 as they had dried out.

If you are worried about long term storage and really love your diapers, take them out every 6 months, overnight soak, wash then dry them thoroughly before putting them away again.

Wool will last forever laid flat and kept in an acid free environment.

Last edited by rumblepurr; 11-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I would sell everything with elastic. I stored mine for less than one year in a dresser in the house, and they were shot when I pulled them out.
Also, mine were only 6 months old when I put them away, and stored in the same conditions that I lived in every day (so nothing extreme).
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! Problem is DH already decided he wants to keep all our NB diapers, lol. I guess I will sell all the covers we don't use and figure out the rest! Our babies will likely be at least 2 years apart so I guess that's a fairly long time.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I saved all the OS diapers that I liked but sold off all the larges that would have to sit for a few years. I was already pregnant when DS2 potty trained so the OS only sat for about 6 months since DD just started wearing them.

I did pull them out once about the 3 months mark and wash and dry everything just to make sure the elastics were still okay.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
I did pull them out once about the 3 months mark and wash and dry everything just to make sure the elastics were still okay.

this! unless you can part with them. since I don't know if/when we'll have another (when, I hope), I'm going to sell off anything with elastics. If I'm pregnant by the time DS is PLing out of brown edge WH (a daycare mom can dream), then I will keep them. When I feel I have to keep it, I'll do the gentle wash as close to 3/6 months apart as I can remember... maybe 3x a year.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

DH just totally flat out refused to let me sell our NB AIOs that ds wore for about 2 weeks, lol. I had to twist his arm to let me sell our pockets that we haven't used for about 2 months now!