Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: possible herpes on a 2 y/o

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylindsay View Post
First off, I am so sorry to hear that your son is enduring with such pain! Regardless of what it is I would go right out and buy a bottle of Colloidal Silver and a dropper and I would be applying it to the sores directly. I would do this at 1-2 hour intervals and I would let him be diaperless for much of the day!! Colloidal silver will kill over 600 different types of bacteria and infections. Including very favorable results with Herpes... if you look up info on it even through wikipedia , it has been used for years!!
Yes, yes, yes. Colloidal silver is AWESOME. I swear it fixes everything!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Looks like you've gotten tons of replies, I haven't read these.

There's good herpes info available through the University of Washington Virology Research Center.

Herpes can be active and contagious with no sores present, and a person can have the virus and be contagious forever without ever having visible sores. It also pops up awhile after exposure. So it wasn't necessarily his Dad, and you won't ever know for sure who it came from.

Given that the virus goes dormant in the nerves, then becomes active and trots back out on the nerves to the skin, where it kills skin cells, the diaper environment probably has nothing to do with the activity of the virus. Stress is a more likely culprit.

Monolaurin and the amino acid lysine are helpful, and the amino acid arginine can trigger outbreaks. I've seen the brand Lauricidin help with cold sores a lot. You might have to check with a naturopath for help with dosing a little one though.

I understand it should get better with time, as his body builds immunity.

As for the skin, Herb Pharm Trauma Oil might help. It has calendula for healing and hypericum for pain. I used it on my son as a newborn with my midwife ok but use common sense caution on deciding if it's right for you.

Also, Hylands Teething Tablets or Calms Forte might help. They have pain relieving ingredients and help a baby be less angry about not feeling well.

For the diapers, good wound care is important. Consider that urine is sterile and helps wounds heal, and air is good. Sposies don't help with that! Cotton, plus wool or fleece may be your best friends. I wouldn't put anything fragranced on him, and zinc won't help wounds heal. Treat it more like a cut, IMO.
I wonder about sitting in water with sea salt and baking soda, like the neti pot mixes... Baking soda cuts the sting.

And rubbing him with olive oil at each change may help make it easier to clean poop off when the time comes.

So sorry you're having to deal with this, and the unnecessary stigma and criticism.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

My second dd had rash problems.

The first thing I always did was stick her in a disposable to figure out if the problem was coming from her, or from the diaper. I've had both problems.

When it was her, it was poop related. It just BURNED her poor bum no matter how fast I got that diaper off. A nurse suggested healing her gut and using baby probiotics in her milk. For her it was a miracle and everything was better as long as I used it.

When it was the diapers, it was that they simply were not clean enough. Sometimes you need to bleach them. For her, I needed to bleach regularly. I was washing cotton diapers using HOT water (like I can't put my hand in it hot), and using Tide, but if I went without the bleach for too long she'd get a rash.

Not sure if any of that will help you but thought I"d offer it up anyway. When her rashes were really bad they did well with a cotton prefold with no cover. I put her in the bath a lot too.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
Please research very carefully if you decide to use silver. It can cause irreversible damage
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/col...silver/AN01682
Eh, I think this is more propaganda than anything. MDs are constantly trying t spread misinformation on natural medicines and homeopathics to have more money in THEIR hands. I'd like to see an actual study proving the associates risks if used in moderation. Just about everything has a risk I suppose, but I doubt its the norm if used correctly. Blue-grayish tones in the eyes or skin is from extreme overuse of collodial silver. There was (I believe) only a few documented cases of that, and 1 was a man that bathed in it and drank it and applied it to his skin every single day for several years.

ETA: I think it's unfair to say it doesn't work, either. I've used it MANY times and it's never failed me or my family members. Definitely no placebo.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

My 2 cents on silver... It's irrelevant. It's viral (and a retro virus at that) not bacterial, and the virus is in the nerves not on the skin. By the time you see blisters, the virus has left the scene. Silver may just kill helpful bacteria that could otherwise help keep the virus at bay. Don't try to sterilize the area, you can end up inviting yeast instead.

It's just a cut, at this point.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
My 2 cents on silver... It's irrelevant. It's viral (and a retro virus at that) not bacterial, and the virus is in the nerves not on the skin. By the time you see blisters, the virus has left the scene. Silver may just kill helpful bacteria that could otherwise help keep the virus at bay. Don't try to sterilize the area, you can end up inviting yeast instead.

It's just a cut, at this point.
It can go on the skin or be ingested - I'm not saying it will kill the rash/outbreak the baby has right now, but I do believe it could prevent it from coming back. It isn't known to kill beneficial bacteria, either.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

My daughters were varying shapes and sizes depending on where they were in the cycle.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #28
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

Another vote here for Calmoseptine, that stuff is amazing. It's sold at Walgreens in the adult incontinence aisle. Definitely NOT CD safe, but it coats the area really well and protects from further irritation. I don't think it would burn, I used it on myself once.

It won't fix the underlying problem but it could help calm things down and keep baby comfortable.
rainbowgirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #29
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

what kind of diapers are you using? My daughter is currently healing from a nasty yeast rash right now. Nystatin is what they prescribed for her. I used it for 2 days and it did nothing. It was getting worse. I did ONE swab of her rash with genetian violet and would you believe it's gone. She was uber purple for a couple of days, but it's seriously gone. I also made sure I bathed her at least once a day, especially after pooping. And she has been living in prefolds. Coverless as much as possible and changed as soon as possible after peeing/pooping. she has also had a staph infection in the past that had blisters and was horrid. That was much worse to deal with. Hope you get it cleared up soon! I would imagine if it hurts to put anything on it, air would be the best thing.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #30
Magoo07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Doctors can test for herpes with a blood test... Swabbing the site is easier on a child, but a blood test will show if the body has antibodies to the herpes virus (if yes, then he has it) and it'll also tell which strand it is... Type 1 or type 2. I'm surprised the pedi didn't mention this, but you might want to ask to have it done so that if its not herpes you can start ruling stuff out and helping it heal.