Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I realize not all of us cloth diaper purely for economical reasons, but I found t

I haven't noticed a difference in our electricity/gas, and water bills since we've started cloth diapering. We have a FL HE washer and dryer. I wash every 3 days. Cold soak, heavy duty wash with detergent in hot with an extra cold rinse followed by 2 or more regular wash cycles (no detergent)....depends on the water and if I see bubbles. I line dry the dipes. We do have a pool that we've been draining below the skimmer line for the past few winters but have recently found plugs so this will be the first year we've not drained the pool. But...electricity/gas in general here is very high...higher than when we lived in Seattle.

Advertisement

organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #32
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I realize not all of us cloth diaper purely for economical reasons, but I found t

Don't forget to add a toilet flush or two to the cost of disposables, since you are supposed to flush poop. Also, having to pay for a larger garbage can to hold all of the diapers that are thrown away.

I have a FL washer with an onboard heater. Diaper laundry costs me very little.
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #33
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I checked our bill and ours costs a little bit less.
I do diaper laundry about twice a week. This site says it only costs us 11.84/mo to CD. Actually less than that, since about half the time I line dry, and didn't take that into consideration when I did the calculations. Way less than buying bigger sized sposies for my chunky toddler!

This is pretty eye opening, though. I think when the next kid comes along, I'll stick with sposies until he/she grows into the dipes I have rather than buying newborn stuff.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
mommygraham
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisolstice View Post
Interesting site. I like this one better:

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/laundry.html

because you can customize all the variables. Also, I only wash when I have a very full load (usually at least 3 dozen diapers); can't imagine washing every day!
I finally had a minute to thoroughly plug in my numbers using this site you gave. I'm a bit shocked, actually. It calculated my cost to be $30/mo. Then I decided to add in the cost of wastewater (our city price is $8/1000gal...I added up our diaper usage, and we use about 1,000). So grand total, I have been spending $38/mo to cloth diaper my child. I do agree that the $25/mo number to sposie diaper a child was skimping. But I'm pretty sure that I could sposie diaper a toddler for $38/mo (generic brand only).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleaf View Post
Don't forget to add a toilet flush or two to the cost of disposables, since you are supposed to flush poop. Also, having to pay for a larger garbage can to hold all of the diapers that are thrown away.

Yes, something to consider. I know for our family, we have no need to buy a bigger garbage can. Actually, that cost is included in our townhome anyway. But true, some would have to add that on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
I checked our bill and ours costs a little bit less.
I do diaper laundry about twice a week. This site says it only costs us 11.84/mo to CD. Actually less than that, since about half the time I line dry, and didn't take that into consideration when I did the calculations. Way less than buying bigger sized sposies for my chunky toddler!

This is pretty eye opening, though. I think when the next kid comes along, I'll stick with sposies until he/she grows into the dipes I have rather than buying newborn stuff.
I agree. I definitely did not seek out these sites to try to justify using sposies or anything. I'm a nerd who like to research and I was curious just how much I spend on laundry. A definite eye opener for sure. I sort of have a whole new look on cloth diapers though. Here I thought I was saving all this money by using them. At least I'm saving the landfill though .
Old 11-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #35
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used this site to get an estimate of how much I'm spending washing diapers- it takes into account a lot of different variables and seems pretty accurate.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #36
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

That seems really high and doesn't really take into account the difference between regular machines and HE machines. I haven't really paid all that much attention but our electric and water didn't seem to go up all that much when YDD was born and I"ll have to compare bills now that she is using the potty. I really can't see the whole thing (electric and water) going down by $45.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #37
mommygraham
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleaf View Post

should be the same amount of toilet flushes. I flush the poop whether it came from a cloth dipe or sposie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgs View Post
That seems really high and doesn't really take into account the difference between regular machines and HE machines. I haven't really paid all that much attention but our electric and water didn't seem to go up all that much when YDD was born and I"ll have to compare bills now that she is using the potty. I really can't see the whole thing (electric and water) going down by $45.
I agree, it is high. I have a really old top loader and an electric dryer and enough dipes to last washing 3x/week. All those together make it more expensive for me. Many factors can totally bring that monthly cost down (better washer, gas dryer, sunny place to line dry etc). So it definitely does not cost everyone a high amount.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #38
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by essential1892 View Post
I used this site to get an estimate of how much I'm spending washing diapers- it takes into account a lot of different variables and seems pretty accurate.
I used this calculator and also looked up water how to figure out water cost per gallon so I could get a better estimate. I also spent the time to figure out how much my detergent plus additives plus softener costs per load.

With all this put into the calculations this calculator estimates I spend $12.60 a month on diaper laundry. Roughly 1/2 what I estimated in my earlier post. Any rinse past the 2 I calculated for costs us an additional 23 cents.

Switching to an HE machine would only save us a whopping $2.20 a month or $26.40 a year on diaper laundry.

Since I already had many of the variables figured out I went ahead and figured out just how much laundre in general was costing us per month. Since the rest of my laundry is on cold it was only $16 per month or $190 per year. An HE machine would save us $39 a year.

So between the between the $26.40 a year on diapers and $39 a year on regular laundry we would save $65.40 a year switching to an HE machine. But the HE machines cost on average several hundred dollars more at the get go. To see any real savings we would have to own the HE washer for at least 5 years and probably longer.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #39
March
Registered Users
seller

We have all-electric, no gas anything. Our last electricity bill was $73 and my wash routine is super heavy-duty. My dd goes through about 12-14 diapers a day at two years old, simply because she tells me as soon as she wets one, and once our twins are here, well... I can guarantee you that we would be spending more than $73/month to diaper them. I bet we'd be spending at least that much just to use cheap sposies on my dd, and that's the cost of my WHOLE electricity bill, not just what I spend on diaper laundry.

We're an all-cloth house; the laundry is always going! But we don't use artificial lights during the day, don't use the AC or heater much, boil water on the stove instead of running water waiting for it to heat for baths and dishes, etc. I'm the master at keeping our bill below $90 for an 1800 sq. ft. house! I would not be that good at hunting down coupons to keep disposable diapering as cheap as it could be, though.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #40
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I'm the master at keeping our bill below $90 for an 1800 sq. ft. house!
I'd love to figure this out. We have a 1300 foot house that we have turned of every light unplugged everything possible shut off the AC ect and left the home for up to two months and our bills for those months was still over $150 per month.. Its seriously crazy. Still cloth diapering doesn't add a thing to our bill..

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote