Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #41
March
Registered Users
seller

Deanna, I think the biggest part of it for us is that we are very blessed to have a well insulated house. Our smaller house that was on piers and was built more cheaply yielded higher electricity bills! Still, a lot of it is our habits, too. We bought this house from my parents, and their bill was usually $200-$300.

Advertisement

March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #42
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: I realize not all of us cloth diaper purely for economical reasons, but I found t

I hear you on that. This house is "soposed" to be an energy efficent home but so far were not seeing a huge diffrence.. But like you were a natural light only we do use AC during the summers (when its 120+ ) but from around late September - around April we dont use AC or heat (or very rarely) our water is basically solar heated anyways. We can't figure out why literly unplugging and shutting down EVERYTHING except basically the fridge still meant we pay well over $150 a month... Our usage for this past month was $181.00 and we are considered on the far consertive side of "local usage"
Our usage was just shy of $87 the rest is fees and taxes...

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #43
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: I realize not all of us cloth diaper purely for economical reasons, but I found t

It costs us $1.73 for one diaper wash start to finish in the dryer with cold rinse, hot wash, warm rinse, cold rinse. Wash 2 x a week = 8 x a month = $13.84. Not bad considering it's also washing the family cloth at the same time.

When we used disposables during moves, and during a spell in a dry cabin, I spent $50 a month on 2 kids at least, for diapers and wipes. I often spent more as I changed every go, even at night, and we had to use the more expensive brand diapers, because the cheepies gave my sons horrible rashes. I also had to use a ton of diaper wipes and diaper rash cream to prevent rashes from using the disposables. That extra stuff adds up!

When I had 3 (2 full time, one in overnights) it was more like $70 a month for disposables. $13.84 vrs. $70 is major savings. Plus, we were spending $15 a month on TP due to the kids ruining rolls. So, switching to family cloth was a no brainer.
$13.84 verses $90 is incredible savings during that period.

Right now we only have one in diapers at night and on trips. He also does this delay at bedtime where he will pee in his diaper and asked to be changed (even though he's used the potty) about 3 or 4 times. So around $10 to $15 a month for disposable overnights, plus the TP @ $15, is $25 to $30 a month. Using cloth saves us about $10 a month at the very least for now. Not as big a savings, but still worth it to me.

I was recently debating over switching back to TP and overnight diapers, because I knew the cost was probably very close. It was nice to actually see the calculations all laid out and know we were still coming out ahead!
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #44
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is super interesting. I can't figure out how to do it though.

So we are on septic so we don't have any water bills . . . but our well contributes to the power bill.

My DH put a geothermal heating/cooling system in a couple years ago (so we still have a power bill but it is fairly low - our water heater runs off the geothermal as well).
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #45
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Not bad considering it's also washing the family cloth at the same time.

I didn't even consider that part of the washing costs would go toward family cloth and tissues. With seasonal allergies in the house we used to go through a couple boxes of tissues a month and spend at least $10 a month on toilet paper. It used to be $5 but prices have gone up and the packages seem to have gotten smaller.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #46
Darkfyre
Registered Users

bump for a friend
Darkfyre is offline   Reply With Quote