Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lefty friendly workbooks?

Hi! I really hope someone can help:
My 4 year old DD is left handed and having a hard time with some of her workbooks. She has trouble getting a comfortable angle to write or draw. When she does gets a comfortable angle her hand or arm is covering the directions or pictures and she can't see what's on the left side of the page (I hope I'm explaining that well enough for y'all to understand).
Basically, in order to see the left side of the page she has to "hook" her hand in a very uncomfortable way.

Any suggestions on what can help her? Everyone in the family is right handed and we don't know how to help her.

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I tear sheeets out for my lefty daughter. :-)
snorris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lefty friendly workbooks?

I'd take them out too. I have taken some workbooks to Staples and had the binding cut off the entire workbook at one time. It's cheap. Then, I 3-hole punch all the pages and keep the "workbook" in a binder. That way I can still keep all the pages and have it well organized, but the pages can be removed for my kids to actually do the sheets. I do have a lefty and he isn't having an issue with this (he's 4. there's still time for lefty issues ), but I do this for all my kids because I just find workbooks hard to work in with the binding. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Southern Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mommas! I didn't know Staples would remove the binding for me! I'll be looking into that, great idea!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No advice because my 6 yr old lefty adapts easily, and my almost 3yr old lefty hasn't started doing any real school work yet.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a lefty and so is my 3 year old daughter. To help her not Hook her hand have her angle her papers and books to the right this will help her be able to see her work better and help keep her from hooking her hand.(we have a mat that reminds her how to turn her books and papers) it Helps to keep her arm off the left side of her book and helps not to smudge the writing too. They do make left handed note books and writing practice books. we have some of them and love them They also have special pencil grips to help them learn to hold the pencil correctly and reduce hand fatigue. Left handed scissors are also good if you don't yet have a pair. Me and my DD love the left handed mechanical pencil's and pens. they are just more comfortable for some reason and she feels special using them.

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Handwriting Without Tears workbooks are all lefty friendly. Direction/examples are printed above the writing lines, or down the center of the page with writing lines on either side.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Southern Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_marines_wife03 View Post
I am a lefty and so is my 3 year old daughter. To help her not Hook her hand have her angle her papers and books to the right this will help her be able to see her work better and help keep her from hooking her hand.(we have a mat that reminds her how to turn her books and papers) it Helps to keep her arm off the left side of her book and helps not to smudge the writing too. They do make left handed note books and writing practice books. we have some of them and love them They also have special pencil grips to help them learn to hold the pencil correctly and reduce hand fatigue. Left handed scissors are also good if you don't yet have a pair. Me and my DD love the left handed mechanical pencil's and pens. they are just more comfortable for some reason and she feels special using them.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I'm really interested in the mat. I think that'll help DD a lot. I started having her angle the papers but she keeps turning them back straight, then hooks her hand. She's developing some bad handwriting traits I'm afraid

I bought some scissors that say they are for either right or left handed but she can't cut comfortably with them. She's really getting frustrated so I think I'll look into all the items you mentioned.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Southern Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins View Post
The Handwriting Without Tears workbooks are all lefty friendly. Direction/examples are printed above the writing lines, or down the center of the page with writing lines on either side.
DD starts HWT next semester, I can't wait!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
3boys_mom
Registered Users

ah the plight of being a lefty. I am a lefty, my middle son is a lefty and pretty sure DD1 will be a lefty.

I second the idea of taking the pages out of the workbook. Some curriculum have the pages spiral bound at the top instead of along the side. That helps too.