Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

I was 0cm and 0% at 41+ weeks. Evening primrose oil capsules got me a baby 3-days later.

Advertisement

mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #22
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabeebritt
I'll be 41 weeks on Sunday, I'm 2 cm dilated and 90% effaced. I didn't know anything about this drug so I didn't even ask questions I assumed it was just a normal thing. My midwife wants to induce because she doesn't want him to get to big. I had a non stress test today and it went very well. Personally I think she is just eager to deliver him.
Since you are already a 2, I would personally decline the cytotec and request either the Foley catheter (it dilates the cervix manually to about 3-4cm and then falls out, ouch, but no drugs involved), or go straight into the pitocin. Cytotec is usually only used when the cervix isn't dilated or softened at all.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #23
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
There is another chemical cervical ripener - cervidil which is FDA approved for inductions and CAN be removed if the baby isn't tolerating it well. It's a vaginal suppository.

Dr can use any drug they way they want it's called off-lable use.

Dr/mw use the other one that your talking about bc the cost is a lot less. I think one pill is a couple bucks vs cervidil which is several hundred dollars a dose.

If your getting NST and everything looks good I would hold off. Inductions are rough if your body's not ready. They lead to lots of interventions and you have a 50/50 chance of ending up a c/s. You'll be hooked up to monitors for continuous monitoring for the duration.

Best of luck with your decision. Ask your mw why she's recommending the drugs and procedures. What are the risks and benefits and what happens if you do nothing.

Last edited by AniMommy; 11-16-2012 at 12:19 AM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #24
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: Cytotec induction?

If I had to chose an induction method, cytotec would be it. Yes there are a few widely spread horror stories on the internet, but that is true with ANY drug. I'd much rather have it than Pitocin. The rate of hyperstim between cytotec and pitocin is pretty much equal.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't induce for that reason at all. No way. As a first-time mom, your chance of having a c-section goes up at least 2 times with an induction. It's just not wise unless there is a medically-indicated (real) reason.

Check out Midwife Thinking's Induction-Balancing risks post. It's great.
http://midwifethinking.com/2010/09/1...lancing-risks/

Oh, and my 41 week baby was a whopping 7 pounds 4 ounces. You're a first time mom, so there shouldn't be a worry about your baby being really large. You really need to be comfortable with what you decide, and informed.

Last edited by songbird516; 11-16-2012 at 03:29 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
You have already gotten some great advice about Cytotec specifically and the same that I would have given (can't be stopped and I wouldn't consent to this method). I just want to point out to you that if your "postdates" testing is coming back as the baby being fine and your health is fine, you absolutely can refuse the induction completely. The average gestation of first time mothers is forty-one weeks, so you're not even there yet and will barely have passed it on induction date. It is still your body and your baby and you can opt to continue having non-stress tests and biophysical profiles done regularly until you go into labor. There are plenty of "natural induction" methods you can try as well, though none will work unless your baby and body are ready to go into labor anyway. There are pressure point massages, sex, walking, membrane sweep, black and blue cohoshes (should be done by medical provider only), etc.

I hope you have the birth experience that you want and are holding a healthy and happy baby boy very very soon!

PS: My babies were born at forty-two weeks plus three days and forty-three weeks plus three days respectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Maybe just tell her you prefer to wait until 42 weeks. If you're already 90% effaced and 2cm, I doubt you'll even make it that long. In all reality I doubt you'd even make it to Monday, but if you don't want to be induced I'd just tell her you want to wait. Growing babies too big for your pelvis is actually a medical condition and it's very rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I would refuse Cytotec. Cytotec has a warning on it's bottle not because it can induce labor, but because when used as a labor inducer it can cause hyperstimulation of the uterus, uterine rupture, fetal bradycardia, amniotic fluid embolism, death of the mother, and death of the child. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684033/

Cytotec is not used in many hospitals because of those risks (but still used in many others).

However, it does sound like you may be having a baby this weekend The contractions you're having are "early labor" contractions. It means you're in labor, but not active labor yet. You're in the beginning stages and within hours or days you should be in active labor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I wouldn't induce for that reason at all. No way. As a first-time mom, your chance of having a c-section goes up at least 2 times with an induction. It's just not wise unless there is a medically-indicated (real) reason.

Check out Midwife Thinking's Induction-Balancing risks post. It's great.
http://midwifethinking.com/2010/09/1...lancing-risks/

Oh, and my 41 week baby was a whopping 7 pounds 4 ounces. You're a first time mom, so there shouldn't be a worry about your baby being really large. You really need to be comfortable with what you decide, and informed.
yes to all of the above.

If all the tests come back fine, there is no medically necessary reason to induce.

You aren't even into the "ominous" 42 weeks yet?!

Hope you can make a choice you are happy with and that makes you comfortable.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've been induced twice with it. Mainly to ripen my cervix. I'm not saying I would recommend it. My babies were almost 3 and almost 5 weeks early due to high bp and I hadn't progressed at all. It sent me into labor both times. First time my water broke on its own after cytotec and she was born in less than 4 hours. Next time dr broke water after pills all night and less than 4 hours again. Contractions less than 30 sec apart the entire time. Both ended up being born vaginally. They never had to give me pitocin. Hopefully since you are already progressing they won't have to use it. Good luck mama!
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

I think the average for first time moms to go in to labor on their own is 41w 3d!
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #29
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup average first time mom goes past 41 weeks, and has a 7 something baby

OP hasn't responded, I wonder if she's in labor or is snuggling with her baby now
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #30
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Yup average first time mom goes past 41 weeks, and has a 7 something baby

OP hasn't responded, I wonder if she's in labor or is snuggling with her baby now
I hope so!