Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Menstrual cramps vs labour pains

I've always wondered about this so why not ask a close group of complete strangers!?

I get terrible cramps. Always have. Mum too. Writhing in pain for hours type pain.

I've had 2 kids. I didn't think labour was overly painful. Contractions would stop and then start. Cramps just go on and on... For regular active labour I was sitting on the couch watching tv. I stayed home for labour so I'm not entirely sure when 'active labour' was but best guess is 5-8hrs.

Transition and pushing the baby out were no picnic but labour just wasn't that bad and I've always wondered if it's because my cramps are soooo bad that I've had 'practice'.

Weird coincidence or did anyone else have that experience?

Advertisement

isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had pretty easy labor. About 7 hours. Pushing was also a breeze. One push and his head was out. I don't usually have cramps or bad periods.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Menstrual cramps vs labour pains

My cramps are horrendous, much like yours...but labor was way worse for me. I ended up with an epidural b/c I just couldn't handle it.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I get mild menstrual cramps from time to time, but they were much worse when I was younger. But my labors were much easier when I was younger and harder as I got older. People always joke that babies just call out after the 4th or 5th but not for me! My labors have gotten longer and longer and more painful.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
RetroBaby
Witty title here
seller

My Mood:

Maybe because you're so used to the pain you've developed a higher pain tolerance or something. I used to get REALLY horrific cramps. They would make me vomit! I had epidurals with my first two (induced) labors, but with my last one (not induced) I didn't even KNOW I was in labor until I was 7 cm! I thought it was braxton hicks!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have horrendous, puke-if-you-move-too-much cramps. With both of my labors, the worst thing was how effing long they were. The pain was tolerable when I was up and moving around, but you know, 16 hours in, I got tired of walking. If they hadn't been so darn long, it wouldn't have been that bad.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
Oufelicia
Registered Users

I thought the same thing and even made the comment to my mom. I usually have HORRIBLE cramps that can sometimes cause puking and other not so fun things in the bathroom. My contractions felt the same way. I felt like I was able to handle it better because I had "experienced" it so many times before. I was at home in labor until my water broke. We made it to the hospital and delivered almost 3 hours after that!
Oufelicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Contraction felt like cramps to me. It took me almost a half hour to realize that I was in early labor because the contraction felt like mild cramps and I'm so used to ignoring cramps. Eventually I rubbed my stomach and thought "stupid cramps" then said quietly out loud "I PREGNANT, I should have cramps....." . Then I told DH that I thought something was happening.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
cbreeding
Registered Users

My first day, I get very intense cramps. I would lay in the fetal position for most of the day if I could but I learned to live with them. Labor for me felt a lot like these. I had short labors but up until transition they felt almost exactly like my menstrual cramps on my worst day.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Could you have endometriosis? My mother in law says that and has endometriosis. I don't have cramps so contractions were a shocker. I have always felt like my girlie parts were going to fall off or were really heavy.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote