Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:
Red face Afraid to get our woolies dirty

So I know I'm a little neurotic but I am so worried about DD crawling around in the floor with her woolies on because I'm afraid they will get messed up. Despite all my sweeping and mopping we live in a tiny house with 4 kids and the tile floor never stays as clean as I would like. When DD crawls around in the floor by the end of the day whatever she's wearing is very dirty. That's not a problem for clothes because I can just throw them in the washer and they're good as new but her woolies.....I hate thinking about possibly having to wash wool every day and I'm terrified it's going to get ruined or that I won't be able to get the stains out. I'm loving all of our new winter wool but on days that she wears it I'm embarrassed to say I don't let her crawl around in the floor all day for fear of dirtying them. I've been thinking about getting/making a couple pairs of "play woolies" from old sweaters so she'll have a couple pairs that weren't expensive that she can get dirty. Am I totally off the deep end or does anyone else think about such things?

Advertisement

Last edited by badhayrday; 11-15-2012 at 07:19 AM.
badhayrday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Afraid to get our woolies dirty

This is one reason I'm not so into wool. I like longies, but I'd have to wash them everyday. Maybe the pee isn't a problem, but the food and general dirt is. For me, even play woolies wouldn't solve the problem entirely; if they're dirty, they're dirty. At least you wouldn't have to worry about stains or wear and tear.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know! I love the longies but right now I'm leaning towards soakers and babylegs because at least I can throw the babylegs in the washer at the end of the day. The legs are usually the dirtiest part from crawling.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
jnjb
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry, new to all of this what are longies and woolies?
jnjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjb View Post
Sorry, new to all of this what are longies and woolies?
Woolies are diaper covers made out of wool Some are soaker style, some are shorts (shorties) and some are pants (longies). They very functional, super cute and somewhat addicting

Check out all these pics on google
https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp& biw=1515&bih=758&q=wool+longies&oq=wool+longies&gs _l=img.3..0j0i24l9.2543.7041.0.7773.12.9.0.3.3.0.1 44.921.5j4.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.KMxeQ860gjo
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Kandarpa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The crawling stage doesn't last for a very long time and your LO will be walking soon and much cleaner!
Longies knit with superwash wool can be thrown in a washer on gentle cycle, sometimes you can see such on FSOT.
Honestly though, I have 2 small kiddos at home with me (homeschooling) and a tiny apartment, and I'm not too fond of the wool washing process either, but I love wool so much, I wouldn't give it up no matter what!!!
Kandarpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I have stuff that was felted before it was sewn, can I wash it on gentle too?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
jnjb
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am guessing that they knit up pretty quick. Any idea where to get patterns for them? I am considering CD and knitting my own would be cheaper than buying them I would think. Eventually I am going to figure out all of the CD lingo. It is like a completely different language.
jnjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjb View Post
I am guessing that they knit up pretty quick. Any idea where to get patterns for them? I am considering CD and knitting my own would be cheaper than buying them I would think. Eventually I am going to figure out all of the CD lingo. It is like a completely different language.
Well I'm a very novice knitter so I haven't made anything other than squares and rectangles but I hear they are very easy to make. You can google "free knit longies patterns" and you will get all sorts of stuff. There's also on etsy fancier patterns you can buy for pretty inexpensive. I really need to get better at knitting and try making my own. If I could figure out how to do it I'd probably go crazy knitting them because they're so stinkin' cute. I sew much better than I knit so I have made some upcycled ones out of wool sweaters form goodwill and that is SUPER easy even if you aren't a great seamstress. You can actually make them from acrylic sweaters too and then you can wash them in the washer and don't have to lanolize them. You would just treat them as if they were fleece shorties or longies. Those are also very easy to make from old sweatshirts or blankets made from fleece. Once you get into CDing you will be in love. I am CDing my 4th baby and am still loving every minute of it. And the amount of money it has saved our family (even with my addiction) is literally in the thousands.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd go with the machine-washable woolies and save yourself the worry. Most interlock and pre-felted recycled wool is machine washable, as are some yarn bases (MMW, Cestari, BBR). Some mamas have successfully washed the softer bases (e.g. gaia), but I'm too chicken to try.

See this thread here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1380347

And I recently posted about washing wool in our top loader here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1463267
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote