Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
tiggiepooh
Registered Users

Prefolds Help

Hi! I'm new to cloth diapering. We decided to use OsoCozy prefolds for our NB. I got snappis and Thirsties covers. I seem to be having some trouble though. I ended up preferring to use the prefold without the snappi and just used the cover. I seem to have a lot of leaks and poopy clothes. The smell is also pretty strong but I guess there's not much I could do about that. Also, his onesie will become wet over the area of the diaper cover - as though it isn't doing much to protect his clothes.
Is there something that I'm doing wrong? Are there any tips you can share with me?

TIA!

Advertisement

tiggiepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Prefolds Help

how are you folding the prefold?

Is the prefold completely tucked into the cover? If any part of the cotton prefold sticks out, it will wick quickly onto clothes.

can you post a pic?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
tiggiepooh
Registered Users

Yes, it's completely tucked in. There is a longer area on the front so we fold it over but it still seems to seep onto the clothes. I'll try to take pic when DS wakes up.
Right now we are trying the newspaper fold (I think, is that what it's called?)...where we are folding it into thirds.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Ky-Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was going to ask how you are folding it as well. If you aren't fastening it, is the diaper snug? DD would move and the diaper would shift so that her pee went straight into the cover rather than the prefold. Also, are you using Osocozy infant size 1?
Momma to four little miracles! E 07-23-2006 35wks, J 08-15-2007 32wks, A 04-21-2009 34wks, K 07-06-2011 39wks cautiously expecting #5 in Feb '13
Ky-Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

how often are you changing baby's diaper?

are the thirsties covers new? Or used? I wonder if the PUL is leaking or something...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Ky-Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, how many times did you wash them to prep them? What detergent do you use?
Momma to four little miracles! E 07-23-2006 35wks, J 08-15-2007 32wks, A 04-21-2009 34wks, K 07-06-2011 39wks cautiously expecting #5 in Feb '13
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
tiggiepooh
Registered Users

Thanks for all the replies!

So I prepped them in a pot of boiling water for about 20 minutes or so. Then I put them on a hot wash in the machine and dried them completely. I thought this would have been enough?

I am using all free and clear detergent plus a waster softener. I heard it's not so bad for cloth diapers, although it's not the recommended brand that people use. Do you think the detergent is making a big difference and that I should invest in something else?

The diaper seems pretty snug without the snappi. We stopped using the snappi because it seemed that we were pulling to hard to get the ends to meet and by the thighs it still seemed loose with no way to tighten it.

We bought everything new...

We change his diaper pretty often. He doesn't like being wet and he lets us know it. But we still change after every nap and usually right before as well. But after the nap I guess its very very saturated - I think that's when it gets especially bad.

We are using the Infant sized 4x6x4 and it says its for babies 7-15 lbs. He should be around 10lbs or so now, so it should be fitting him correctly. I don't know (and didn't know what to except) but the diaper seems longer and I feel like it could benefit from some extra width, but that's probably because I'm doing something wrong.

I'm wondering if I should try a different brand cover now?

What do you all think?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Ky-Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I washed mine about ten times to prep them, so I have no idea aboit the boiling...

I had trouble with the Osocozy width as DD grew. I got some GMD prefolds that have more width to them and I got a snugger fit without the extra length that she didn't need.

It could also simply be that you have a heavy wetter. I have heard a lot of ppl use that detergent without issue, so I doubt its that. You could try adding a doubler and see if that makes a difference. Have you dried the covers in a machine yet? Some say to do that to seal the PUL on new covers.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried using the jellyroll fold? That's where you roll in at the legs to prevent any gaps. And yes, you do want the prefold fairly tight or else it shifts and pee and poop can easily escape. Try searching for a few prefold folds on the forum. The pictures and tutorials are very helpful.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then you either have a heavy wetter or your diapers are not prepped enough.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
kbevie
Registered Users
seller

Free and clear detergent can cause some build up and repelling. Try stripping the prefolds with a drop of dawn to get rid of the oils.

As for the cover, if you turn it inside out and pull lightly at the cover, do you see any cracks in the PUL? If you do, it's delaminating and causing your leaking on the onesie. You can contact the company you purchased from to get them replaced. Or if the legs are not tight enough, the onesie could be tucking in and wicking the liquid out. You might also want to tighten around the waist to keep it from going out the top back.

I'm owner and operator of 3 Sweet Peas, cloth diaper WAHM shop on Etsy. Hand dyed bamboo fitted diapers and wool interlock covers, and more.
3SP Etsy
3SP Facebook
kbevie is offline   Reply With Quote