Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids dont sleep!!! *New question post 17*

And I'm exhausted! All I get from friends and family when they hear my girls are up and down all night long is "Thats not normal, that must stink, sucks to be you" . And let me tell ya, that doesnt help my exhausted mom brain. Last night I literally sat and cried because I have no idea what to do. Hubby helps me alot but I figured it up last night and we were up 4 hours over the course of the night with the girls.
My 3 year old wakes up a cries and kicks her feet until we hold her or ignore her long enough. Or sometimes she wakes up around midnight and is awake for 3-4 hours til she goes back to sleep. She has stopped taking naps during the day so its not that she isnt tired. We've tried everything I can think of, no snacks before bed, rubbing her feet with a relaxing essential oil, soft music, keeping her up later, Hylands Calms forte tablets, baths before bed. It's ridiculous that this is a nightly occurance.
Then, my 10 month old is still waking up 3 and 4 times a night. She only nurses once or twice but she wakes up the other two. I've tried letting her cry in bed because I know she doesnt need anything and she is ok and Im almost positive its just habit that she is getting up. But she screams til she almost throws up. We dont co sleep because It just doesnt work for hubby or I but the last few nights I tried putting her in bed with us when she woke up and she just squirms and slaps us in the face til we rock her.

Hubby and I are beyond exhausted. Nights are so rough here, when one goes back to sleep the other one wakes up. Not even joking. I have no support from family really either- they just tell me with a disproving look that "your kids should be old enough to sleep all night." Yeah, because they are up all night because I want them to be up all night. Seriously??
I'm almost to the point of depression.
Anybody have ANY insight or advice on this?? I'm desperate

Advertisement

Last edited by mrscompgeek; 11-12-2012 at 02:31 PM.
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My kids dont sleep!!!

I'm sorry you are suffering through this, exhaustion is really horrible. I don't have much advice for the 10 month old because we have always had the same problem if we try to cosleep after about 4 or 5 months and how can you leave her in there when she cries until she pukes. I think mine occasionally woke up that much at her age.

Has the 3 year old always needed less sleep? If not I would venture to say her night waking is due to not getting adequate sleep and constant ly being overtired. If she is up for hours at night, she is going to need a nap during the day. I would do whatever possible to get her to nap for a few days or every other day for a week or something and see if it helps. Maybe try one of the color changing clocks and tell her that you can't go in there/it's time to sleep until the clock turns whatever color. Then, maybe after a week or so, maybe she would learn getting up is pointless because she won't get to see anyone.

I think it's normal to wake a little at various times throughout the night, the problem is teaching her to self soothe back to sleep theirselves instead of fully waking and relying on you.

**And, these are just some ideas. You've probably already tried everything you can think of. Parenting is rough sometimes, again, sorry you have to suffer through the long nights.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

DP

Last edited by nursenmom; 11-12-2012 at 06:29 AM.
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama. I know the feeling of people not "getting it." One of my 3 is a terrible sleeper. Actually, I think he's an insomniac. I won't get into all of his "symptoms" since I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I've been dealing with this for about 3 years, I've tried everything from different disciplinary approaches, to melatonin, to letting him sleep with us, to lights on or off, etc etc, and nothing worked.

Just recently, however, I think I've stumbled onto something: I've got him on a gluten-free diet, and he has stopped head-banging all night long, and he has been sleeping through the night, only waking up to go to the potty, sometimes giving us a hard time about getting back in bed, but then he goes back to sleep.

It might sound crazy at first if you haven't heard of it before, but if you do some research, you'll learn that diet is directly linked to much of our behavior. If our body is having trouble processing something, it effects us. I'm learning that the more "pure" the food is, the better our body handles it, and for some with celiac or gluten intolerance, the body just can't handle the gluten correctly and it effects the body in dozens of ways.

Try excluding food dyes and as much processed food from your LO's (the ones on solid foods) diet as possible. See if that helps, then take it a step further and try excluding gluten, and possibly casein (dairy) too. It's a pain in the butt, but if you get results, it'll be worth it. Give it a few weeks, up to a month. If you don't see any changes in your LOs that are worth the hassle of gluten free, then you can go back to a regular diet.
SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama. I know the feeling of people not "getting it." One of my 3 is a terrible sleeper. Actually, I think he's an insomniac. I won't get into all of his "symptoms" since I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I've been dealing with this for about 3 years, I've tried everything from different disciplinary approaches, to melatonin, to letting him sleep with us, to lights on or off, etc etc, and nothing worked.

Just recently, however, I think I've stumbled onto something: I've got him on a gluten-free diet, and he has stopped head-banging all night long, and he has been sleeping through the night, only waking up to go to the potty, sometimes giving us a hard time about getting back in bed, but then he goes back to sleep.

It might sound crazy at first if you haven't heard of it before, but if you do some research, you'll learn that diet is directly linked to much of our behavior. If our body is having trouble processing something, it effects us. I'm learning that the more "pure" the food is, the better our body handles it, and for some with celiac or gluten intolerance, the body just can't handle the gluten correctly and it effects the body in dozens of ways.

Try excluding food dyes and as much processed food from your LO's (the ones on solid foods) diet as possible. See if that helps, then take it a step further and try excluding gluten, and possibly casein (dairy) too. It's a pain in the butt, but if you get results, it'll be worth it. Give it a few weeks, up to a month. If you don't see any changes in your LOs that are worth the hassle of gluten free, then you can go back to a regular diet.
SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Will they fall asleep in the car? Maybe try a drive every day around the same time (a nap time) and try to get them in the habit of napping. Then, after a week or two, you can try laying them down for a nap at home at that time. I agree that nap(s) during the day should help them sleep better at night. Definitely sounds like over tired to me. it is SO HARD to figure out the sleep stuff.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenmom View Post
I'm sorry you are suffering through this, exhaustion is really horrible. I don't have much advice for the 10 month old because we have always had the same problem if we try to cosleep after about 4 or 5 months and how can you leave her in there when she cries until she pukes. I think mine occasionally woke up that much at her age.
I'm not as concerned with the 10 month old waking as I am the 3 year old. I know that its not unheard of for her age to wake up still. Its just the combination of the 3 year old getting up plus the baby that has me exhausted!
Has the 3 year old always needed less sleep? If not I would venture to say her night waking is due to not getting adequate sleep and constant ly being overtired. If she is up for hours at night, she is going to need a nap during the day. I would do whatever possible to get her to nap for a few days or every other day for a week or something and see if it helps. Maybe try one of the color changing clocks and tell her that you can't go in there/it's time to sleep until the clock turns whatever color. Then, maybe after a week or so, maybe she would learn getting up is pointless because she won't get to see anyone.
um, yes. She has always woken up at night. We've tried to get her to nap now but it was to the point that I would spent 2 hours just taking her back to her bed and she would come right back out and she was frusturated and I was frusturated so we just gave up on naps. Occasionally she will fall asleep if she is super tired or if we are in the car she falls asleep sometimes.
I think it's normal to wake a little at various times throughout the night, the problem is teaching her to self soothe back to sleep theirselves instead of fully waking and relying on you.

**And, these are just some ideas. You've probably already tried everything you can think of. Parenting is rough sometimes, again, sorry you have to suffer through the long nights.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBooger View Post

The 3 year old is actually on a special diet. She has a kidney reflux and cant have red dyes, soda. And she also has a dairy allergy and we limit her cheese intake and she is on almond milk. We tried to gut out gluten but it didnt seem to make a difference.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeyesmcgee View Post
Will they fall asleep in the car? Maybe try a drive every day around the same time (a nap time) and try to get them in the habit of napping. Then, after a week or two, you can try laying them down for a nap at home at that time. I agree that nap(s) during the day should help them sleep better at night. Definitely sounds like over tired to me. it is SO HARD to figure out the sleep stuff.
They do fall asleep in the car but they both wake up as soon as I try to move them from the car seat.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
megenic
Registered Users
seller

I had pretty bad sleepers too so I can totally relate. I highly suggest getting the Baby Whisperer book and following her plan to the T. She even has a section on sleep problems in older children. It will be a lot of work but it will work if you stick to it. There is no cry it out and no cosleeping.. It's a very good middle of the road plan.