Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Searching for a nanny.....

What a daunting task!!! Sorry, this is a rant. We're having such hard time finding a suitable nanny for our 2 kids. Our neighbor who runs a home daycare was caring for our toddler but she's unable to care for our infant. Additionally, we've been thinking of moving on given our son is outgrowing the space and is very much in need to be challenged mentally and academically. He's only 2 but is quite advanced for his age. The search continues, I guess. Any mamas out there having difficulties finding good help???

Advertisement

organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Searching for a nanny.....

I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding a nanny!! As a nanny, I have to ask how much you are willing to pay a nanny, b/c that makes a HUGE difference!! I have 16 years of experience, so it may be different, but I have to make at least $10 per hour, and that is just in my area (Omaha, NE). If I worked in places like Houston or Chicago, I would make almost twice as much as that. I have a nanny position that starts on Thursday, and I make $10.50 per hour.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 01-26-2013 at 11:32 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady
I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding a nanny!! As a nanny, I have to ask how much you are willing to pay a nanny, b/c that makes a HUGE difference!! I have 16 years of experience, so it may be different, but I have to make at least $10 per hour, and that is just in my area (Omaha, NE). If I worked in places like Houston or Chicago, I would make almost twice as much as that. I have a nanny position that starts on Thursday, and I make $10.50 per hour.
We're offering $10/hour to start which is the going rate here. Most nannies we interviewed weren't upfront with their desire and that's such a peeve! They were searching for FT hours but did not indicate so in their profile. What a waste of time. Do you have any pointers or tips to share??
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Best child care I've found for part time hours are youngish grandmothers (like 55-60). Still young enough to keep up, but not looking for full time, just want some extra income. Mature, nurturing, and drama free.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarai*
Best child care I've found for part time hours are youngish grandmothers (like 55-60). Still young enough to keep up, but not looking for full time, just want some extra income. Mature, nurturing, and drama free.
We're hoping to find someone in that age group but find that it's not so easy!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

That would make me mad as well. I always make sure to be very specific on the hours and days I am willing to work.

Have you tried posting an ad on Craigslist or on Care.com?

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmama10 View Post
We're hoping to find someone in that age group but find that it's not so easy!
We needed after school care (with pick up) one year, and advertized on Craig's list. That was a little scary, and my husband did three background checks on her, while I spent a lot of time talking with people she went to church with, but it was worth it. She was fantastic, dependable, and played with my son non-stop.

If you belong to a church, you could try advertizing in the bulletin............
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
iheartinky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I highly suggest care.com! So worth the membership fee to not only find legitimate care givers, but you also can view their back ground check!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
hikergal73
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartinky
I highly suggest care.com! So worth the membership fee to not only find legitimate care givers, but you also can view their back ground check!
I second Care.com! It's worth the cost IMO for not having to do all the background checks and be able to see reviews and references.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did subscribe to care.com and that's where these applicants come from. Posted a job and also searched through the list and contacted those with profiles that match our needs. I think it's mainly the younger kids that are most frustrating. They applied for the job knowing we're only offering PT hours, etc. the job posting is very clear, I even listed our the guaranteed days and hours by day and week. I'm now only seeking matured grandma-ish individuals as someone else mentioned. Someone with some free time and flexibility. Sigh.....never knew this is so difficult! Wish I could just stay home with the kids.....