Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
R055ANA
Registered Users

allowing homeschooling parents to participate

Hello there everyone!

I am hoping to get your thoughts on a situation.

There is a program here in Philadelphia being offered to teachers of middle school and high school students. I immediately became interested in the program because of a few reasons. I have been thinking of taking a course and this seemed like an nice way to learn something w/o having to commit to an entire semester. I also have a teaching degree and this program is offering 36 professional credits which to me is a VERY big deal. The program is not only free but they are paying those who complete it successfully $300 and will give you a mini grant to buy books. So it looks like a great program for me.

I contact the person to double check about me being able to participate since I am a homeschooling parent and to ask about what to do about the part where my administrator has to sign off. In the requirements it says you must be currently teaching or designing a course where adequate time can be devoted to teaching the subject matter.

As far as I am aware I meet all the requirements. I do plan to commit to attending all the sessions, I do teach my middle school DD and I can devote the time to teach the specific subject matter.

The contact person gets back to me saying the seminar leaders are considering possibly allowing homeschooling parents to participate but they would NOT get the stipend or the mini grant. She asked me about my thoughts on this matter.

I didn't think to save the response email but I basically said I thought it was unfair. Why should a homeschooling parent not get a stipend when teachers who work in brick and mortar schools get paid for completing the program? Will I not work as hard as they? It is also unfair to have to buy the books and pay out of pocket. If anything it is very unfair to deny payment and the mini grant to me as a homeschooling parent who doesn't earn an income but pay the teachers who are already earning a salary. I went on to say homeschooling parents sometimes teach more children (like a co-op) and I don't see how that is so different than teaching in a small private school. I was considering doing a program for the homeschooling community to share w/ them what I learned in the seminar.

What is crazy is another homeschooling parent recommended this program because she did it a few yrs ago. She got the mini grant and got paid although they were a little unsure of how to handle the whole thing.

I have a teaching degree and I have taught in public schools. I can't believe I would be excluded because I am currently not teaching @ a brick and mortar school.

This is sort of a rant about homeschoolers not getting what I think is fair treatment.

So the question is do you think homeschooling parents should get all the things the program promises to paid teachers or not?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

I haven't received a response from the contact person yet and I am wondering if she either thought I was rude (which I hope I wasn't), or just doesn't know what to say at this point.

Advertisement

R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: allowing homeschooling parents to participate

I think they should. You are still a teacher.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

You have very valid points, especially about reaching the same amount of children as a small private school teacher. I hope you also mentioned that you KNOW they have done it before for homeschoolers since you were refered to the program by someone who took the course and recieved the stipend. Hopefully you havent recieved a response because they are getting everyone on board with changing the policy.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
R055ANA
Registered Users

Jennthemomma, yes, I am still a teacher and even if I didn't have a teaching degree I still think homeschooling parents should be able to get the opportunity.

RachelFlores, they are probably regretting allowing the homeschooling parent to participate in the past (just kidding) I certainly did let the contact person know about how a fellow HSer recommended the program and how they handled it w/ her.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think with the stipend they are thinking that the teachers are probably missing a coup,e of days of school, which may not be paid, so they are compensating them that way. That might be why they were thinking they wouldn't offer that to homeschooling parent since we don't get paid to teach anyway. Not saying its right just saying that may be how they are looking at it.

With the grant I think they should still offer it to you but at a reduced amount. Honestly schools a preachers are getting it because they have a lot of students to buy the books and supplies for where we only have a few and in some cases maybe only one. Getting the same amount of grant for one student when another teacher has 100 or so students to purchase for just isn't a fair use of the money. It is a grant so I'm sure they want to help as many people as they can with it.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello Ericka! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

The program is on 4 Saturdays and 3 afternoon/evenings when the school day is out. Maybe they are thinking of the stipend because after a paid teacher spends the entire day in school why will she want to come out to spend an additional 3 hours in a seminar or work 6 days one wk instead of 5?

I see your point w/ the mini grant and helping as many people as possible but maybe this could be a reason to look @ each homeschooling parent and paid teacher on a case by case basis. If I am going to do a program every yr for the next 5 yrs for the HSing community for about 20 students how is this so different from the small private school. Should they also look at this teacher who teaches 450 students (for history) in middle school getting more money than the teacher who only teaches 68? I also have 4 daughters who will be getting the lesson as well : )

I like having this on-line discussion because it makes me consider how to better argue my points since I am still thinking I should be able to go and get everything the other teachers are getting : )

Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

You might think about contacting HSLDA for advice. They have helped homeschooled students who were facing discrimination when applying for jobs so they might have some advice for your situation too. Good luck mama!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there Corrie!

Thanks for chiming in w/ the idea to contact the HSLDA about this.

Still no response. I was @ the University of Penn yesterday, where the program will be held, and I briefly thought of trying to stop by the contact person's office and introducing myself and asking where this stands.

I have until the end of the month to register for the program.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello there everyone!

I wanted to update to say the contact person has gotten back to me saying homeschooling parents can participate and will receive the mini grant and stipend. I am very happy about this. I am not thrilled that reason they decided to let me attend is because she said they have allowed homeschoolers to receive the stuff in the past. I would have preferred something along the lines of we think it is important to offer the program, grant and stipend to any educator who will truly use it.

Thanks to all of you who offered ideas and support!!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on getting in and getting the $. Sorry that their reason wasn't the best, but sometimes getting your foot in the door is more important. Perhaps, you will be able to use the money in a way that will impress them and they will be more open to homeschoolers in the future.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote