Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Etiquette Question

So over a year or so ago, maybe even longer a friend gave me a big box of Longaberger baskets to go through and pick our what I wanted. So I did and gave her back the ones I knew I wouldn't use. Well most of the ones I did take are not being used. I was gonna sell them to get cash for Christmas. I'm trying to sell stuff the kids or I don't use anymore to pay for it since I refuse to go into more debt for it. So is it wrong to sell them? The only reason it would even get back to her is that she is on Facebook and there are local sale sights that I would list them on. So she would probably see that I'm selling them.
Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Etiquette Question

I would let her know that you weren't really using them and ask her if she would like them back, If she says no then I would go ahead and list them. HTH
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
I would let her know that you weren't really using them and ask her if she would like them back, If she says no then I would go ahead and list them. HTH
I agree with this. Those baskets are really expensive and I think she probably gave them to you because she thought you'd use and like them not to resell... in order to keep the friendship in good order I'd offer them back first.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I agree. I understand your dilemma though, I was there with some baby stuff a while back.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
KindaCrunchyMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yeah, this.
And baby Piper 12/27/09
KindaCrunchyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
This.

I give a lot of our kids clothes to my sister and a cousin. I could sell them BUT I know they could also use the stuff. I found out that my sister sells almost all of our hand me downs on ebay... and my cousin sends stuff that I give her to a local consignment store (in fact one day she actually asked me to drop it off for her). I wasn't too happy about either. Especially with my sister because she had our girlie clothes, we had another girl and then she was selling things I could have used!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I always offer back to the lender/gifter unless it was a gift for Christmas/Birthday/etc. if they don't want it back, then I can sell it without wondering if it was "right" to do.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

A gift is a gift no strings attached. I will sell gifts even new items if I cannot use them and I put the money towards something else. I think it is absurd to try and manage what happens to gifts after you give t hem away. If I give someone item x and they sell it or trade it for item y I have given that person a gift that keeps on giving I am thrilled. If they come out ahead even better.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

dp
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn_23

This.

I give a lot of our kids clothes to my sister and a cousin. I could sell them BUT I know they could also use the stuff. I found out that my sister sells almost all of our hand me downs on ebay... and my cousin sends stuff that I give her to a local consignment store (in fact one day she actually asked me to drop it off for her). I wasn't too happy about either. Especially with my sister because she had our girlie clothes, we had another girl and then she was selling things I could have used!
If you have them not saying to keep when done they can do what ever. Do they use them first?

OP I would ask since she said if you can use them. If she just said here pick what you want them sell without asking.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.