Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
mommysweetpea
Registered Users
seller

What's on your thrifty (or not) menu for Thanksgiving?

Just curious.
We are headed to my MIL's tomorrow where she nor any of SIL's can cook. So I'm doing the turkey which I got .77 cents a lb!
Mashed potatoes - .99 cents for a 10 lb bag!
Sweet potato casserole -.69 cents a lb
Cranberry sauce - $2.00 for a big bag of cranberries
pumpkin muffins - free because I already had everything to make them
rolls - homemade of course.

They are doing the veggies and dessert. What do you make that's special or extra yummy?

Advertisement

mommysweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's on your thrifty (or not) menu for Thanksgiving?

We are hosting at our house, but fortunately a lot of our family each brings something.

I'm making:

Turkey - .78/lb
Mashed potatoes - $1.59/10 lb bag
Green been casserole - $1.98 for the fried onions. I had everything else already in the cabinet.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting- ??? about $3
can of pumpkin $1, frosting -dd has a dairy sensitivity so we buy tub cream cheese frosting instead of making because its has no milk in it, kind of scary. The cake is from scratch so a couple of eggs, flour, sugar, spices.

Green beans with cranberries and onions- about $2. about $1 of frozen whole green beans, 1 onion and a cup or so of dried cranberries, tbsp olive oil.

So my thrifty Thanksgiving is going to cost me $5. Including stuff I already had on hand but I am including them in the price.

Now who knows what its going to cost MIL.

I did take advantage of some of the sales and put 2 turkeys in the freezer they were $8 each- I believe they were .79lb. and some .15 lb sweet potatoes. I'll put a couple of hams in the freezer when they go on sale for Christmas. I do cook Christmas dinner for just my family.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm making herb rolls (no idea how much this will end up costing).

We're taking wine ($24), camembert and brie ($12), and dip ($.75).

I'm planning on cooking (but not buying the ingredients for) candied yams, lemon meringue pie, peanut butter pudding pie, and whatever else needs help.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm lets see.. We are eating at home just the 9 of us..

Turkeys.. .88 a lb. We bought two, DH will smoke both and we'll freeze the leftovers for BBQ turkey all year long.
Stuffing.. Aldi's for like $1 a box
Cranberries..$2
greenbeans.. Aldi's for .60 I think. We usually do 4 cans and 2 cans cream of mush.
bread.. handbaked, I have flour already
sweetpotatos...free from a friends garden..
Pies $6 I bought premade this year.
Mashedpotato.. I had this already too.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm hosting, and me and my mom are "halving" the menu

I am doing the turkey ($.78/lb.)
gluten free dressing (like stuffing, sort of) from homemade biscuits and cornbread, so I'd guess about $3? (my mom is doing the other one for everyone else to eat)
green beans and potatoes- green beans at .$25/ can (6 cans) and a few whole potatoes
mashed potatoes -$3.99 for a 10 lb. bag
deviled eggs (eggs from WIC, then mayo and relish and onions, not $$ at all)
cranberry sauce (.99 for the bag of cranberries)
strawberry pretzel salad- about $6 (this is gluten free, so it's pretty pricy cause of the gf pretzels)

a couple gallons of tea (homemade, of course) and I also sprung for the disposable plates and cups *gasp*

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

We purchase a " Gourmet Thanksgiving To-Go" Meal from a club on base (Air Force.) It serves 10-12 people and is $89.95 and includes:

15lb Turkey with Gravy
Cornbread & Sausage Stuffing
Roasted Garlic mashed Potatoes
Fresh, Buttered Seasoned Vegetables
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Cinnamon Buttered Yams
Sweet Bread Rolls
Pumpkin Pie

DH is also picking up an apple pie from Costco on his was home from work today. We bought this package last year and enjoyed it very much. It's not thrifty by any means, but we budgeted for it and are willing to spend the money and do it this way because it allows us to have a very easy going Thanksgiving. We are military with no family visiting us for the holiday. Football starts at 7:30am here in Hawaii, so we wake up to watch football, DH picks up the food at noon and we have it for lunch & dinner. We watch the dog show and play games as a family. Plus, we have plenty of leftovers that stretch through the entire weekend. We have talked about last thanksgiving fairly often this past year, it was a great day because it so so laid back and stress free. I'm excited for a great day with DH & the kids tomorrow!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not so thrifty, local fresh organic etc turkey (where we get our chicken in bulk) $90. Potatoes were $3.99 per bag, onions $2.99 - but at least I had a $2/$10 produce coupon. Everything else I'm serving is coming from our CSA share or uses stuff I stockpiled when it was on sale in the past few months.

I did, however, get a free turkey breast today from the grocery store (frozen, but "all natural" because they sold out of the cheap ones!) and we'll have leftovers from the one I'm cooking, plus I'll make enough stock to last a year out of it.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh31
Not so thrifty, local fresh organic etc turkey (where we get our chicken in bulk) $90. Potatoes were $3.99 per bag, onions $2.99 - but at least I had a $2/$10 produce coupon. Everything else I'm serving is coming from our CSA share or uses stuff I stockpiled when it was on sale in the past few months.

I did, however, get a free turkey breast today from the grocery store (frozen, but "all natural" because they sold out of the cheap ones!) and we'll have leftovers from the one I'm cooking, plus I'll make enough stock to last a year out of it.
$90.00 for one turkey?!
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh31 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
$90.00 for one turkey?!
Last week I was at the commissary and the guy in line ahead of me bought 2 hams for $75 each. I was pretty stunned at that price (even for Hawaii) and it made me feel better about my $90 thanksgiving to go order. Organic meat is expensive, so $90 for an organic turkey isn't as shocking to me as the $75 hams.