Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #31
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Real homes with kids in them

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
I'm the odd woman out. My house is houzz worthy, catalog-ish and I have 3 little people, 2 dogs and a cat here all the time I only mean to say that you can have little children and live in the pottery barn catalog .
HOWW? How is what I want to know! Are your(general your) kids told to strictly limit their toys to the toy area only? (and mine make toys out of & pots and pans on the kitchen floor.)

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
[/url]
Mama, Im sure you'll change out that beautiful lighting above your dining table once your LO start climbing. That's the jealous part of me speaking. Hope you get lucky in that your little boy wont climb on the table and take as swing at it with something. My ds1 is likely to try to hang from it!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavana

Super mods dont get to play since you have magical DS elves helping you while you sort out our daily messes online. But on a serious note, how do you manage to keep it so clean with at least 3 kids under 5?
Lol. I have teenagers! And a strict cleaning schedule twice a day in living areas. Each person has an area. I cannot live with a mess. Having 5 homeschool students, an ASD toddler and a baby are hard enough. I dont need to be stepping on crap all day.

My basement is where almost all the toys live. The kids clean it 5 days a week and the other 2 we allow for it to stay a heap of toys.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #34
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didnt think I'd get any replies, much less with pics! So you mamas are very honest...makes me feel normal. Now to get the guts to post my pics....
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #35
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'll post pics tomorrow. I do my best to keep the house tidy, but there's no basement/playroom/extra space for toys. When you have a little house, everything is in the living space, you know? In the kids' rooms toys live inside the closet on shelves and in baskets or bins so clean up is quick. The toys and books in the living room also go on a bookshelf with baskets. The boys are fairly good about tidying up behind themselves. The kitchen is usually the messiest room in the house, but even that is clean with just a couple of minutes worth of tidying.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #36
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
Here are our main living areas downstairs. Upstairs is a little more messy from kids playing and the basement is destroyed! (Its where 99 percent of the toys live)

Front living room.

Dining room with a computer. Lol. Dd is doing school work.

Family room.

Kitchen. To be fair I did just do dishes and sweep.
Ktmelody!!!! I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN IT IS AMAZINGLY LARGE!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #37
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

No pics but I find this thread refreshing. My house is neat, organized, and nicely decorated. I work pretty hard to keep it that way too. But I cant changebthe cheapo finishings in my apartment-peeling laminate floors that have no place in a kitchen, peeling laminate door cabinets, not so lovely carpet, etc. There are pretty much always fingerprints on the flat screen, and my poor table is full of scratches from playing with forks, and my counters are rarely as cleared as I would like. Seeing other women whom I respect with mismatched furniture or scratched cabinets helps me realize I am not a failure because I dont have the best of the best.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #38
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

I only have one kid (most the time) and she doesn't make that much of a mess. We keep toys to a minimum and if she wants to play with something different, we clean the the other stuff up first. I also live with a neat freak of a husband and everything has a place. We are generally minimalist with our stuff. We can't even fill our closets.

We haven't really done anything different, decor wise, with a kid. She is a climber, destructive, and super active, we just give her places to climb.

You can see her toy "corner" in this one:

The kitchen is obviously not being cooked in but that I what it looks like unless we are actively preparing a meal.

Last edited by MarieSeeking; 11-16-2012 at 03:31 AM.
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #39
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavana View Post
I didnt think I'd get any replies, much less with pics! So you mamas are very honest...makes me feel normal. Now to get the guts to post my pics....
HaHa! I thought pictures would let you know that you ARE normal. And the mamas with 'perfect' homes well just..BOO on you.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #40
Twisted&Loc'd_Mama
Registered
seller

Location: Adios Hawaii- Hello Sunny San Diego Only A Few Months To Go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE
I'm the odd woman out. My house is houzz worthy, catalog-ish and I have 3 little people, 2 dogs and a cat here all the time (DS1 is no longer homeschooled now in 2nd grade so he's a part time resident, along with DH who WOTH 7-5 M-F). Everything has a place, most of which are behind doors, we don't do much plastic, are semi-minimalist, the children are well trained to clean up toys between activities, and I have made it very easy to clean up so we do its continuously throughout the day. I have no judgment about what other people's homes look like, so please know, I don't share this like clean houses mean better wives and mothers or whatever. I only mean to say that you can have little children and live in the pottery barn catalog .
Please share how you made clean up easier for them. I just want to know your secret because this is a constant struggle with my 3 & 6 year old.
Twisted&Loc'd_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote