Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #41
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Real homes with kids in them

My house is pretty clean but I can (literally) get obsessive about it. I have actually had to teach myself how to -relax- about the cleaning, for my own mental health.

On a side note, I don't really think any of the houses with pictures posted look bad at all. I've seen waaayyyy worse houses with-out- kids in them.

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #42
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbstanley3
<snip>

On a side note, I don't really think any of the houses with pictures posted look bad at all. I've seen waaayyyy worse houses with-out- kids in them.
Yep, if these pictures make you feel better mine will make you feel amazing. I have posted pictures of my apartment in the minimalist section and I can take some updated ones. We have 3 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment and if I keep toys in the bedroom (I used to) DS pulls them ALL out during nap time so they now are in the living room (joy). I don't think we do awful considering but we are going minimalist because the clutter makes me crazy.

Oh and I have made it impossibly easy for my kids to be able to clean up and they still do a half butt job. I have failed them.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #43
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will hopefully grab some pics this morning of how we store our toys. They are a mess when 3 and 4 year old boys put them away, but they're put away so I am good with it .
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #44
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With 5 littles and a tiny house = recipe for mess. I'm going to take before and afters. This morning compared to tonight. One days progress of a homeschool family ( ). Be back tonight ladies!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #45
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had these in Photobucket. These are what these rooms look like everyday, all day. My peeps don't choose to play in their rooms hardly at all, so we really are only in there for "roomtime". This is where they are assigned to play in there rooms for 30-60 minutes while mommy is getting things done like managing my business or returning phone calls. They do play in their rooms while we are getting ready and waking up for the day too.

This is my older sons' room. The top striped bins are their "treasure boxes". You know all the random junk they accumulate like pretty rocks, happy meal toys, an old set of keys, a favorite receipt, an eraser they got somewhere, spent shells from the sheet competition? This stuff makes me nuts because its trash but its valuable to them. It is limited to those boxes. Every two weeks when I clean their room thoroughly, they go through and purge their treasure boxes. They do have some treasures like a favorite play phone or watch in there too. Years ago, I would find these things stashed in odd places in an attempt to hide them from a brother. I just assigned it a spot. They realize if it isn't being kept in the box and isn't being played, its free game. . All stuffed animals have an assigned cubby. Each boy has a "bedside cubby" for his night water and select reading material for "quiet chatter". They are free to turn on the light at 7:00 but they stay in their beds and quietly talk and read.

On the other side of the room are floor pillows, breakable collectibles or items up top, and 2 storage bins. One has a fabric town mat with all variety of matchbox cars for using around town, the other has a fabric construction mat with all variety of construction site vehicles and props. Easy to get out, easy to put away.

We don't leave our room until it is restored to this, but that's easy to do. Not a ton in there and easy and obvious to return things to their place.

They have rolling ottomans with all their hats in their room too. There is also a stack of Crocodile Creek lunchboxes in the foyer outside their rooms. Each has a "kit" in it that has tons of little pieces that need to stay together. When we go to roomtime, they often stop and choose a pack to take with them in their room. One is all the automoblox wooden car sets, one is Mr. Potato Head and his accessories, etc...

In the youngest's room, he has a custom storage bed I designed for him.

So far there are only 2 bins, one is for treasures and one is slippers
He also has

A bin of stuffed animals, one of his beloved weebles. Very obvious where stuff goes. Foam blocks are in a denim box, all his viking planes and cars are in a drawer. Some matchbox are in another drawer.

I think it works because we seriously edit what makes it into their rooms, its all sorted by like items and has a clearly designated and easy to use compartment just for that. There isn't big bins of random stuff which make it difficult to easily get what you want. That produces the "dump it all out" problem which makes clean up a total pain. Kids also don't play much of what they cannot find so you get discontent mess makers .

I don't have pics of our living area but I will grab some today.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #46
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmurillo410 View Post
The first pic, I have the same canvases! They're in green though and I got them for $10 at JCP. They're also hung above our bed frame and everyone who comes in and sees them loves them!
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #47
emeyer76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Come on over to my house today if you want an ego-boost!

By the end of the work week (we both work f/t) the toys are everywhere, dog hair hasn't been vacuumed up, muddy paw prints on the leather couch and the wood floors, dishes in the sink, laundry 1/2 done and sitting on the dining room table waiting to be finished, the week's mail in a pile, etc. etc. etc.

We get it all cleaned up on the weekends and it looks nice for a few days, but by the end of the work week it's a disaster again. Plus, I've been on "light duty" for this pregnancy, so for the first 20 weeks I had to really stay off my feet as much as possible... so my portion of housework is a good 4 months over due

I'm not brave enough to post pics, not till I have the "after" pics to prove that it really does get cleaned up! Maybe after the weekend I'll post some before and afters. But don't worry, my afters are sooooo not catalog-worthy!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #48
txmommytobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE
I'm the odd woman out. My house is houzz worthy, catalog-ish and I have 3 little people, 2 dogs and a cat here all the time (DS1 is no longer homeschooled now in 2nd grade so he's a part time resident, along with DH who WOTH 7-5 M-F). Everything has a place, most of which are behind doors, we don't do much plastic, are semi-minimalist, the children are well trained to clean up toys between activities, and I have made it very easy to clean up so we do its continuously throughout the day. I have no judgment about what other people's homes look like, so please know, I don't share this like clean houses mean better wives and mothers or whatever. I only mean to say that you can have little children and live in the pottery barn catalog .
I would say I am with you. We have taught the kids to keep things clean and take care of what they have. I guess it is because DH and I are rather neat people and we lived in a tiny house for a long time. Now we do have a larger house but because we didn't for so long I guess I just want it to be perfect. I dreamed of this house for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #49
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with you, Gemq. However, I don't seem to have that stylish knack that you have. I try to make things look really nice and magazine worthy, and have no problem keeping my house neat and tidy, but it seems like the interior decorator in me barely exists. I'll have a "vision" and then when I make it happens, DH and I are left speechless and flabbergasted. LOL
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #50
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My house is usually a 20 minute tidying away from photo worthy, out of necessity for me. I can't live with a mess (it causes serious anxiety), but I also don't want to spend my life cleaning or make my family crazy, so the key is editing and having a place for everything.

We keep very, very little on the first floor. Only what is absolutely necessary, so it requires very little upkeep. Just actual cleaning (vacuuming, mopping, dusting, etc and kitchen cleaning), since there really isn't much to pick up.
DS1 is allowed to make as big a mess as he wants with whatever toy or play set he is currently playing with, but it has to be put away when he's done. This does take some effort on my part since he's only 3, but it's worth it to put in the effort to train him now. When I notice him wandering away or going to pull something else out, I just remind him that we put toys away when we're done with them, and that if I have to pick them up I will put them in the trash.

Literally everything in this house has a home. Some closet, cabinet, shelf, drawer, box, basket, etc where it belongs. I LOVE Ikea's Expedit shelves with Target's canvas boxes for toys.