Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #51
crunch!910
Registered Users

Re: Real homes with kids in them

My home is not catelog worthy, but I don't take having young children as an excuse to allow my house to be completely trashed. I am absolutely fine with toys being on the floor. Rule is they are picked up before snacks, before meals, before bedtime. And I TRY to teach my 3 year old to put away toys before taking out more... but there are just times where he wants to play with blocks, toys, AND dinosaurs. Lol. I hate clutter, I like my house to look neat. During the day it doesn't always, but before bed I like everything to be picked up, put away and tidy. My house is lived in AND well kept. Mostly because I'm a minimalist and hate, hate, hate clutter. I know people who seriously only have walking paths because the rest of the house is filled with piles of dirty AND clean clothing, toys, and just clutter because they refuse to throw anything out.

Trying to clean up after my husband is sometimes more tiring than the kids!!!!! He likes to leave spills on counter, he will throw clothes on the floor when there is a dirty laundry bin not even two feet away, etc.

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #52
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Cute rooms GEMQEMCABOOSE! My current house cleans up nice, but every Monday morning it is horrible (hubby is as messy as the toddlers). I'll try to shoot pics of what happens when I get an evening with a friend, lol.

I don't have a house that stays perfect, but I think it is a function of the ages/maturity/personalities in my home, and priorities. For example, when we finally get all kids asleep at the same time (both my toddlers wake often), I usually devote my attention to my hubby before we have to pass out and start over. I LOVE to clean (seriously, it is therapeutic to me), but I NEED sex/intimacy/attention more.

One way I am starting to get better, though, is buying storage that is easy and looks nice, having my 14yo sister entertain the kids an hour/4 days a week (mommy's helper <3). And when we started MDO that allowed me to do a lot on the house, finances, lawn etc the day(s) they have "school."

Our house didn't have a good layout to do a strict play area downstairs, but that worked very well for my bestie. She limited the amount of toys and where her kiddo could play. Limited where he ate, etc. the structure really does help if a perfect house is what you need/want and you don't have help.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #53
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

While trying to sell the house, most days I was able to get it to this state if I had a few minutes before a showing (how spotless the bamboo floors were varied since I clean them by hand). I think it looks fantastic, but it often meant grumpy kids.

And after going out for a few hours with a friend last night.

More typical mess if I am not on my toes

If I leave the room for a few minutes

If I'm behind on laundry/packing

Luckily, most days we are just a few minutes to half an hour away from clean...unless I'm behind on laundry. I've purged a ton of stuff to get us to the point we are at, though, and have a lot more work to do.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #54
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

When we play every toy comes out at the same time.

But they don't go far

I need to paint the walls. We just moved here this summer.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #55
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I realize this thread was supposed to make us feel BETTER about our homes, but it makes me feel like I'm really not doing a good job. Even "clean" my house is way cluttered.

Kitchen counters: coffee maker, toaster oven, fruit basket, dish drainer, essential-cooking-items lazy susan, ceramic containers for grains we use a lot, iPOD station/speakers, junk bin...WHERE are you mamas stashing all that stuff? I dream of clear counters!

My DH is a semi-slob; he is a walk-in-and-drop-it-on-the-table/chairs guy who doesn't then put it away later. He brought in some pants he had altered yesterday and all he did was toss out the plastic covering. This morning I saw the pants on the couch and the dry-cleaning hanger on the floor under my sewing machine

I've read so many books on de-cluttering and minimalist living, but is this just the curse of a small home?

ETA -- > off to try and de-clutter something, maybe find more toys to donate since Christmas is approaching. Maybe figure out what can come off the counter that DH won't complain about...I forgot also that his beloved Magic Bullet must live on the counter.

Last edited by boysniris; 11-16-2012 at 10:53 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #56
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
This is my older sons' room. The top striped bins are their "treasure boxes". You know all the random junk they accumulate like pretty rocks, happy meal toys, an old set of keys, a favorite receipt, an eraser they got somewhere, spent shells from the sheet competition? This stuff makes me nuts because its trash but its valuable to them. It is limited to those boxes. Every two weeks when I clean their room thoroughly, they go through and purge their treasure boxes. They do have some treasures like a favorite play phone or watch in there too. Years ago, I would find these things stashed in odd places in an attempt to hide them from a brother. I just assigned it a spot. They realize if it isn't being kept in the box and isn't being played, its free game.
Firstly, you are so organized I LOVE IT! Thank you for sharing this I want to adopt the "treasure box" idea for my boys, too. I can't stand all the bits of junky stuff they keep, and I usually either sort it somewhere or toss it if I find it on the floor for the millionth time. They don't have a place for these items, maybe that's been the problem all along.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #57
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok I'll play! I try to keep my house tidy. I have a friend who has 3 kids and her house is always trashed, car is always trashed and it makes me kinda feel OCD but I could NOT live like that! Right now my dh is out of town, I have an extra baby for daycare and I just make time to clean. Even if I stay up til 10 or get up at 6... It gets cleaned. I don't think anyone who posted pics had more than an hours worth of tidying to do which is normal with kids! People who WOH are a little different because they're not home all day using their house! My kitchen gets used all day, my living room gets used all day... But I just have to stay on top of it!
Anyway... Don't feel bad if your house isn't catalog worthy! LOL

Last edited by TwinKristi; 03-14-2013 at 08:49 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #58
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris
I realize this thread was supposed to make us feel BETTER about our homes, but it makes me feel like I'm really not doing a good job. Even "clean" my house is way cluttered.

Kitchen counters: coffee maker, toaster oven, fruit basket, dish drainer, essential-cooking-items lazy susan, ceramic containers for grains we use a lot, iPOD station/speakers, junk bin...WHERE are you mamas stashing all that stuff? I dream of clear counters!

My DH is a semi-slob; he is a walk-in-and-drop-it-on-the-table/chairs guy who doesn't then put it away later. He brought in some pants he had altered yesterday and all he did was toss out the plastic covering. This morning I saw the pants on the couch and the dry-cleaning hanger on the floor under my sewing machine

I've read so many books on de-cluttering and minimalist living, but is this just the curse of a small home?
I really have so much sympathy. We're in a fairly small house too. Just under 1200 sqft and not laid out well. We definitely get clutter issues too. I've started finding a few things that help. Maximizing closets; the hall closet has current season coats, vacuum, our "office" (a filing cabinet for mail, bills, stationary supplies, DS1's crayons, and typical filing cabinet things), and all gift wrap supplies (that one is kind of random, but I have a lot of gift wrap supplies). The boys' closets store clothes and toys. Half is dedicated to each. The top shelf of each closet has two boxes. One is for outgrown clothes. The other is for next size clothes. That keeps those easy and quick to access. Declutter the counters in any way possible. Small appliances stay in cupboards as much as possible. I bought a bunch of storage containers at the dollar store and keep my grains and stuff in cupboards. I cleaned out my cupboards recently and was shocked how much more storage space I freed up.

DH is a drop it and leave it guy too. When he got really bad with it, it started piling everything he left around the house on his side of the bed to put away. He got the hint.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #59
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't even attempt to put away things like my toaster, coffee maker, or crockpot. They get used so much and I have to pull things out to get them to fit in the cabinets just right. I just can't justify the time it takes to do that daily.

My sewing machine and serger live on my (square that seats 8) kitchen table while I'm doing a project. It might mean that they are out for a few weeks or so and we can still use the table with them present. They don't look pretty, but I have other things to do than set them up and take them down daily. You know, like DS.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #60
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
I really have so much sympathy. We're in a fairly small house too. Just under 1200 sqft and not laid out well. We definitely get clutter issues too. I've started finding a few things that help. Maximizing closets; the hall closet has current season coats, vacuum, our "office" (a filing cabinet for mail, bills, stationary supplies, DS1's crayons, and typical filing cabinet things), and all gift wrap supplies (that one is kind of random, but I have a lot of gift wrap supplies). The boys' closets store clothes and toys. Half is dedicated to each. The top shelf of each closet has two boxes. One is for outgrown clothes. The other is for next size clothes. That keeps those easy and quick to access. Declutter the counters in any way possible. Small appliances stay in cupboards as much as possible. I bought a bunch of storage containers at the dollar store and keep my grains and stuff in cupboards. I cleaned out my cupboards recently and was shocked how much more storage space I freed up.

DH is a drop it and leave it guy too. When he got really bad with it, it started piling everything he left around the house on his side of the bed to put away. He got the hint.
Thanks! Our home is supposedly exactly 1200 sq ft. but it has a rather large and wasted entryway w/solid surface flooring and that's where the boys play blocks and marble run. DH hates that with a passion, he says it's a walkway and the kids are in the way. Well, sorry DH, it's a great spot for that LOL!

Anyway, maybe I can fit more into the kitchen cabinets. I know there is one in particular that has excess items we'll never use, in particular very old seasonings and possibly expired Hamburger Helpers and other old instant stuff (I rarely buy ground beef so would be more likely to use a Tuna Helper LOL)

We have maximized our closets w/organizers and shelving. I think maybe I just need to either get more creative or less attached to some of the stuff. But right now I felt like a pity party LOL!

I did find some receiving blankets to donate, and some artificial flowers...that's a start I wish someone would come over and say "Hey you don't need this junk"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I don't even attempt to put away things like my toaster, coffee maker, or crockpot. They get used so much and I have to pull things out to get them to fit in the cabinets just right. I just can't justify the time it takes to do that daily.

My sewing machine and serger live on my (square that seats 8) kitchen table while I'm doing a project. It might mean that they are out for a few weeks or so and we can still use the table with them present. They don't look pretty, but I have other things to do than set them up and take them down daily. You know, like DS.
LOL I have one sewing machine in our entry way, that's the one I use the most and it lives in a very unattractive table. Another currently isn't working; it lives in the living room in a nicer table that needs refinishing. Honestly if that machine wasn't a "sentimental" machine I might get rid of it. At the minimum, maybe I need to get it running to see if I even want to use it or if someone else in the family might want to use it. My serger and other sewing machine live in the garage...I know that sounds weird but it's also our laundry area and is pretty clean.

Last edited by boysniris; 11-16-2012 at 12:03 PM.