Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #61
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Real homes with kids in them

The only room in my house that stays clean is the kitchen because we keep a gate up at all times. DS climbs like no other and will swing on our light over the table at any given opportunity.

Living room is only clean because my parents are staying with us while they finish their house and Dad had a friend over this morning. I won't show you my room because that is were the mess went to, on top of the original mess.

And the grand finale, I swear I clean this room daily, but it looks like this 30 seconds after they get up. This is DS's room but DD's dresser is in there too until my parents leave. Her bed is in my room .

Advertisement

Last edited by s@hmommy; 11-16-2012 at 12:41 PM.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #62
Danielle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
I had these in Photobucket. These are what these rooms look like everyday, all day. My peeps don't choose to play in their rooms hardly at all, so we really are only in there for "roomtime". This is where they are assigned to play in there rooms for 30-60 minutes while mommy is getting things done like managing my business or returning phone calls. They do play in their rooms while we are getting ready and waking up for the day too.

This is my older sons' room. The top striped bins are their "treasure boxes". You know all the random junk they accumulate like pretty rocks, happy meal toys, an old set of keys, a favorite receipt, an eraser they got somewhere, spent shells from the sheet competition? This stuff makes me nuts because its trash but its valuable to them. It is limited to those boxes. Every two weeks when I clean their room thoroughly, they go through and purge their treasure boxes. They do have some treasures like a favorite play phone or watch in there too. Years ago, I would find these things stashed in odd places in an attempt to hide them from a brother. I just assigned it a spot. They realize if it isn't being kept in the box and isn't being played, its free game. . All stuffed animals have an assigned cubby. Each boy has a "bedside cubby" for his night water and select reading material for "quiet chatter". They are free to turn on the light at 7:00 but they stay in their beds and quietly talk and read.

On the other side of the room are floor pillows, breakable collectibles or items up top, and 2 storage bins. One has a fabric town mat with all variety of matchbox cars for using around town, the other has a fabric construction mat with all variety of construction site vehicles and props. Easy to get out, easy to put away.

We don't leave our room until it is restored to this, but that's easy to do. Not a ton in there and easy and obvious to return things to their place.

They have rolling ottomans with all their hats in their room too. There is also a stack of Crocodile Creek lunchboxes in the foyer outside their rooms. Each has a "kit" in it that has tons of little pieces that need to stay together. When we go to roomtime, they often stop and choose a pack to take with them in their room. One is all the automoblox wooden car sets, one is Mr. Potato Head and his accessories, etc...

In the youngest's room, he has a custom storage bed I designed for him.

So far there are only 2 bins, one is for treasures and one is slippers
He also has

A bin of stuffed animals, one of his beloved weebles. Very obvious where stuff goes. Foam blocks are in a denim box, all his viking planes and cars are in a drawer. Some matchbox are in another drawer.

I think it works because we seriously edit what makes it into their rooms, its all sorted by like items and has a clearly designated and easy to use compartment just for that. There isn't big bins of random stuff which make it difficult to easily get what you want. That produces the "dump it all out" problem which makes clean up a total pain. Kids also don't play much of what they cannot find so you get discontent mess makers .

I don't have pics of our living area but I will grab some today.
Can you share with me where you found your white bookcases on the wall?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #63
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle04 View Post
Can you share with me where you found your white bookcases on the wall?
Custom, sorry. I design, DH or my favorite carpenter build. These were very simple, just plywood. All screwed construction and build to withstand a tornado. 6 years old and going strong. Any trim carpenter or tooled husband can build these very affordably.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #64
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here is a kitchen pic- please excuse the milk jug, didnt notice it until too late. As far as the small appliances on the counters, blarimarie333 made me these fantastic dust covers for all of them! This is a pic from right when we moved in so my Kitchenaid's cover wasnt here yet!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #65
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok, here goes. I will admit I took the pics after washing the pots and pans in the kitchen. I was lazy last night and hadn't done them.

Kitchen. Note the catch-all on top of the fridge. All of our lower cupboards have narrow openings, so anything fairly wide, like the rice maker, doesn't fit anywhere.

Living room. There's usually not that much stuff piled on top of the bookcase, but I brought home some bookkeeping from work.

From here, you can see the dining room which also houses my sewing space. I'm knee deep in projects right now, so its kind of a mess currently.

DS1’s room. All he plays with these days in Lego and those all live in his desk drawers, so its an easy clean.

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #66
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here is the kitchen and playroom. It is a disaster zone...actually really cute if clean...I promise!
Oddly, this is not the norm here. I need the downstairs clean to handle life (the upstairs is fair game...sometimes clean, sometimes look...umm...scary).

My kitchen

Playroom/school room (and as you can see from the kitchen...we do school in the kitchen, not in the school room. Haha!)

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #67
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

I REALLY appreciate the honesty, mamas. And the genuine and true words of mamas who have spotless wowza homes that it IS easy to keep it clean if you dedicate some time everyday.

My rented house in India seems so much different in every other way. Our windows are plain embarrassing. Its painted in a color stark different from the wall, and they are grilled heavily to prevent monkey menace (we live in a semi forested area.) And we've got mosquitos..which require an additional net layer on the windows. Needless to say, it gets dark, despite the evident year round sun.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #68
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didnt think so many mamas would respond! Keep them coming mamas. Even if its just one room you can bring yourself to post.They are very motivational. I really need to figure out where my camera wires are.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #69
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sorry everyone, I had to pull mine down. I almost had a (real) panic attack about our crazy (to me) mess being on the Internet for everyone to see. Lol. Especially after some of the beautiful "kept" house pictures.

Thanks to everyone else for sharing. :-) Sorry I chickened out.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #70
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Sorry everyone, I had to pull mine down. I almost had a (real) panic attack about our crazy (to me) mess being on the Internet for everyone to see. Lol. Especially after some of the beautiful "kept" house pictures.

Thanks to everyone else for sharing. :-) Sorry I chickened out.
I feel ya! I live in a 650sq ft. rental with chipped paint, splatter marks on the wall, and in the 'poor' area Now I feel even poorer after looking at the pictures.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote