Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
momto2es
Registered Users
seller

Seat arrangement for third child...

Howdy! So, we scored big time and were able to trade our SUV in for a Nissan quest minivan. LOVE IT so much. We're expecting #3 and it will be fabulous.

Question. Right now, I have DD1 behind the driver (almost 5 yrs) in a Radian FFing. DD2 is behind the passenger seat (3 yrs this month) in a Radian RFing.

When the baby arrives in March, I was thinking of putting the baby behind the passenger seat and the girls both in the third row. DD2 will be 3.5 almost, and I was considering putting her FFing at that point in the third row with DD1 (she already weighs 35 lbs). DD1 will still be in the Radian for probably another year...she's not very tall!

Thing is, the third row only has top tether anchors in the middle and passenger side. I am honestly worried about the two older ones fighting too much! Haha. I'd prefer they were on either side, but then one of them would not have a top tether.

What would you all do? I'd like to leave the seat behind the driver empty, for other adults and also to easily nurse the baby in the van when we are out and about.

Thanks!!

Advertisement

momto2es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Seat arrangement for third child...

My two older could never sit next to each other! We have the middle and the baby in the middle row outboard, with the oldest in the back. My middle kid can't keep his hands off anyone.

I nurse the baby in the passenger seat.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
momto2es
Registered Users
seller

You're middle kid and my middle kid are the same.

I really want to keep that seat empty to nurse and get in and out of the van easily to buckle the kid(s) in the third row. Is it not advisable to have the Radian not top tethered? I can't figure out another way unless they are next to each other, like I said, in the third row. But then I don't want to compromise on safety by not having the seat top tethered outboard on the driver side third row. I also don't know if my oldest would be ok being by herself in the back...she's a bit sensitive and gets her feelings hurt easily...so not me at all!

Ugh...you need a degree to figure out car seat placement for kids. I swear....it should be so simple, but you have to take everyone's personality into consideration!!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Have you already tried to install your radians ff in the third row? I used to drive a quest and couldn't get mine in there to save my life, the buckle stalk was WAY too forward of the seat bight.

Assuming you could, it is my personal choice to not ff a child without a top tether. In that case, I would put someone in the rear center with the top tether and the other two in the captains chairs.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
momto2es
Registered Users
seller

Actually, no I have not tried to install it. It's a 2011, so not sure if that makes any difference or not. I will have to check that out.

My oldest has a Nautilus that I could use in the third row if I had to...it's in my husband's car. I'll have to see about the Radians install in the back....

Thanks guys.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Could make a huge difference. Mine was a 2005.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure about where the seats could/should go - but I hear ya on the sibling bothering/bugging/etc and not wanting them right next to each other!
I'm kinda scared for the spring - we'll have to have 3 in the back row! We may not go anywhere for a very long time!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
momto2es
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
Could make a huge difference. Mine was a 2005.
There is latch on the outboard passenger in the third row. We did use the seat belt in the captains chair to successfully install her seat FF (I forgot that's how it was...duh). Guess they changed it some.

Glad I have a few months to figure this out.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can not put the two boys in the way back together. That is just asking for trouble.

I have DS1 in a Nautalis in the 3rd row. DS2 in a Nautalis in the 2nd row behind driver. DD in the other captain chair behind passenger.

We have a doge caravan with stow/go. I like being able to put the 1/3 seat in the back row down for the stroller and that still leaves the cargo space behind the 2/3 seat for groceries ect.

However when we take our long trip over Christmas to visit DH's family I am going to try and put both boys in the back as far apart as I can get them so it will free up the other captains chair if DH or I need to sit back there
Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have a volvo sedan, i have the nautilus on one side, infant seat in the middle and the complete air (RF) behind the driver. my 7 year old and 2 year old also cant keep their hands (and feet) off each other lol oldest sits in the front
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote