Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I can't make a poll because I'm mobile but a
"yes - don't be neurotic,"
"no - that would worry me, too," or
"I don't know - hard decision to make,"
can take the place. You can give reason too, if you like.

If you had a 32lb 4 and a half year old in the school system's pre-K program and her class was traveling 45 minutes each way to a pumpkin patch at "H family Farms," so I assume there will be other activities - would you let her ride the bus? What if I added that she has issues with self control and being still? She is reported to not be that way at school, but I don't know how she would be in a bus.
Because of a school assembly, she does know bus safety rules, at least to whatever level the local school system finds appropriate.

She must ride the bus if she is to be associated with the school on this trip. That decision was made by a principal that, before this year, was principal at a middle and high school across the county. I could go in and talk to her I suppose, but since I seem to be the only person who gives a you-know-what about kids not dying in a wreck, I probably won't be taken seriously.
Not a single bus in the area has any kind of restraint for smaller kids. I do know the reason why (that would put one adult responsible for unbuckling 20-40+ kid in the event if a wreck). I know about compartmentalization, which I likely misspelled. but I also know my child and I know myself.

Mom is admittedly a safety paranoid control freak who won't be ok until the little girl is picked up from school all in one piece, so mom isn't sure if her instincts are correct or if she's being over protective.

Advertisement

Last edited by Dory; 10-24-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: would you let her go?

Yes, I would let her go. The safety statistics on buses are totally different than the safety statistics for cars. Should buses have seat belts/safety restraints? Sure, but the likelihood of being injured in a bus crash is lower than the likelihood of being injured in a car crash. In fact, I am pretty sure that statistically speaking, the ride in the car to the school to get on the bus is probably more dangerous, even with a car seat, than the ride on the bus to the pumpkin patch (and no I don't know the exact statistics so I can't say that with 100% certainty)
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, I would absolutely send her.

My newly 5yo (5y1m), 41", 36lb DD is riding 40min each way in a bus next week for a visit to an apple farm. I know she's smaller than the ideal of when compartmentalization works perfectly. However, she is close and buses are SO much safer than cars (even properly restrained or even RFing), that I am comfortable letting her go.

Also, as a teacher, I can say that if the teacher is telling you there are no self-control issues at school, I'd believe her. If she was having problems, the teacher would let you know. She may be one of those kids who simply does better in a group setting b/c everyone else is acting a certain way, so she does too. Let her go on the bus and don't stress. She'll have a great time!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes. In a heartbeat. Busses are statistically much safer than cars, and being a field trip, there will be significant supervision on the bus.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I would let her go. My 4 year old (weighs ~35 pounds) has been riding the pre-K bus home from school since the beginning of the school year. I am not worried about his safety.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I figured I was being neurotic about it. I totally believe the teacher that she behaves at school, I just don't know why she can't restrain herself at home. lol

It's just hard to imagine her sitting still with zero entertainment for an hour and a half on a great big bus.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would let her go. My kids have all rode on the bus for 45 minutes each way to swimming lessons every Friday once they entered Kindergarten.

I wouldn't say she'll have zero entertainment, either - unless she's on the bus all alone! With all the other kids, she'll have seatmates (likely her buddies) and talk away with them. Also, the teacher will likely be pointing things out to see along the drive, and may sing songs or tell/read stories to them. She'll be plenty entertained, though!
Well, at least on the way there. I know a lot of little kids like that do fall asleep on the drive back, after all the excitement and activity of the day
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Let her go.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
It's just hard to imagine her sitting still with zero entertainment for an hour and a half on a great big bus.
But it's not really an hour and a half...it's 2 different trips of 45 minutes each. And, she doesn't have "zero entertainment" she has all the rest of the kids in her class with her to talk about pumpkins and jack o lanterns with
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
But it's not really an hour and a half...it's 2 different trips of 45 minutes each. And, she doesn't have "zero entertainment" she has all the rest of the kids in her class with her to talk about pumpkins and jack o lanterns with
I'd let her go too.

And as far as I know, usually on school buses with toddlers there is a lot of singing and rhyming going on to keep them from becoming unruly. This is what we used to do. So, they are busy the whole time.