Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Why is interlock so expensive?

Advertisement

thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool Interlock Longies

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmightyme View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there are a few things that make it expensive. First, the fabric costs a lot. It needs to be felted down so a yard becomes 1/3 of a yard (or however small it gets. I don't really know). It is then hand-dyed, cut and sewn.

Considering a pair of "made in China" pants from Baby Gap can run around $40, I don't think interlock is that bad. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify getting those skirted leggings....
chickabiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well I've noticed you can but interlock for 21-27$ a yard, and I can put together 4 pair in about 2 hours. Hand dyeing will take me about an hour or two, so it's worth it to me just to but the fabric and felt it myself, cut and sew it. Also at natures fabrics, I can buy it already dyed for about 27$ a yard.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Well I've noticed you can but interlock for 21-27$ a yard, and I can put together 4 pair in about 2 hours. Hand dyeing will take me about an hour or two, so it's worth it to me just to but the fabric and felt it myself, cut and sew it. Also at natures fabrics, I can buy it already dyed for about 27$ a yard.
How many/what sizes do you get out of one yard? It took me around 4 hours to sew a simple apron for my SIL (I did have a few little helpers) so I'm not a good judge of how long sewing takes.
chickabiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Out of felted I'm not sure yet I did just purchase some from fabric club . Com they have a great sale going on until the 19th. Any where from 5.95$-7.95 a yard, it may be the wrong kind though. I got a couple of sweater knits that I will felt. Out of Jersey I have gotten about 4 sets of shorties, to make them diaper worthy I did have to use 2 layers though.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
BuggaBuggaBoutique
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_dna View Post
We use WCW interlock exclusively. Love it
I also love WCW!

Momma to 4 girls and one boy! Smoke Free, Pet Friendly Home!
BuggaBuggaBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love WCW too! I wish she would do custom lengths. My 3 year old loves them but the longest I could get was 12 inch inseam and he needs a 16 inch inseam. I want to try bumby out too but haven't gotten around to ordering them yet.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #18
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

I love WCW and woolybottoms... I have found that Woolybottoms are more roomier in sizing, just FYI. Oh, and I love Rainbow Waters too!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
tomandkara
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I pay over $30/yd for the wool. Prepping it takes over eight hours and then I actively work over the dye pot for over three hours. There is quite a bit of cost involved in the supplies for dyeing and the gas/electric/water to dye as well.

I "make" less than half of minimum wage after expenses are accounted for. I'd be far better off working at the McDonald's down the street if I was trying to make money!

The nice thing about wool, though, is that just a couple pieces can really get you far. Because they can be worn so many times in between washing/relanolizing, you can get by with only two or three good pieces. We have used interlock during the day and at night. It works well in hot weather and cold weather. Interlock is sturdy and durable. I really enjoy what I do and that makes it worthwhile!
Find me on facebook and Hyena Cart to see my custom-dyed wool interlock, hybrid fitted diapers, and children's clothes! I stock Thursdays at 9:00 p.m. EST!

Last edited by tomandkara; 11-17-2012 at 11:39 AM.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
MrsFelton2009
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandkara

I pay over $30/yd for the wool. Prepping it takes over eight hours and then I actively work over the dye pot for over three hours. There is quite a bit of cost involved in the supplies for dyeing and the gas/electric/water to dye as well.

I "make" less than half of minimum wage after expenses are accounted for. I'd be far better off working at the McDonald's down the street if I was trying to make money!
You do customs? Have a link? im mobile

Last edited by MrsFelton2009; 11-17-2012 at 10:56 AM.
MrsFelton2009 is offline   Reply With Quote