Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
mrsbesky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
tubal vs essure??

I need help deciding between a tubal or essure. I would love to here from people that have had either one, or know lots about them.

DH and I are done having children. Both through our choice and our Dr.s recomendation. This pregnancy has been difficult for my body to handle and I'm possitive that I'm done! That being said I have been looking at perminent bithcontrol options. If I were having a C-section, the choice would be a tubal since they are already there. But unless an emergency occures i should be delivering naturally.

If I had my tubes tied it would be the day after I delivered, and wouldn't ad much to my hospital stay. Essure would be scheduled to be inserted a few months after the baby is born, and my hernia surgery is healed. Because it doesn't involve surgery it sounds like essure is easier on your body, but I'm not sure I want foreign objects left in me perminantly.

What has been your experience with either of these? Is essure similar to a coper iud?
I tried the coper iud about 5 years ago after dd2 was born. I literally thought it was going to kill me, with almost not stop bleeding till the thing was removed. And hormonal birthcontrols are not an option, I have Bad reactions to them.

Any advice?? Experience with these?

Advertisement

"The Lord is good a stronghold in the day of trouble and He knoweth them that trust in him" Nahum 1:7 Married to a wonderful man and mom of 4 princess angels: A(9) and K(6) (TJ my angel with Jesus ) and C(1)
mrsbesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: tubal vs essure??

Do you have a metal allergy or do they know why the copper IUD made you bleed? I have a metal allergy so Essure is a no-go for me. I've also heard that if it goes wrong you are looking at a hysterectomy (not sure if that is true or not). No experience with either, but between the two I'd go for the tube tying.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

What about a vasectomy for your husband?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos
Do you have a metal allergy or do they know why the copper IUD made you bleed? I have a metal allergy so Essure is a no-go for me. I've also heard that if it goes wrong you are looking at a hysterectomy (not sure if that is true or not). No experience with either, but between the two I'd go for the tube tying.
They have non metal insert things now!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had the essure done and the novasure as well. I had the essure about 8 weeks post partum. I chose it because my body does not need another abdominal surgery. I love it and have had no problems. As far as a hysterectomy if something goes wrong, at worst they'd have to remove your tubes. I also got the novasure cause the 2 together basically make a hysto without the fuss, lol. I was up and around the afternoon after my essure and never thought about it again. Good luck with whichever you choose.
Also wanted to add that my doc generally won't due a tubal at delivery because he says the incidence of post tubal ligation syndrome goes WAY up and he doesn't see that when done after 6 weeks post partum or with essure

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I didn't know they had non-metal ones now.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
The only thing similar to Essure I know of is Adiana, which is silicone. But if you want to go that route, you might be out of luck. They lost a patent lawsuit with the company that makes Essure. Last I heard, Adiana was no longer being made as a result.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
mrsbesky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The paper they gave me on the essure says its a silicone implant. I tried looking it up online to see if its 100% silicone on if it still contains nickel. I do have a nickel allergy, I had them check for a copper allergy before the IUD was inserted, and it came back negative, but it still gave me severe problems. I felt instanly better after its removal so I know the problems were directly related to the IUD. (i now wonder if it contained any nickel that no one told me about...)
I hadn't heard much about the post tubal litigation syndrome from my doc. I plan on asking if it can wait, but I think they were looking at doing it the next day so that they can do the hernia surgery at 6-8 weeks post par. I wonder if theres a middle ground like do the tubal at 6 and the hernia surgery at 12 or something???? I'll be asking at my next appt.
I looked up side effects from both and they seem to be similar, except for people who had problems with the essure implant not staying in.
I have a history of picking up the dumb less then 1% side effects so the implant not staying in place would be a concern for me.
anybody else have that problem?

oh and dh gets sick just thinking about the vas. LOL he looked into it but never could bring himself to do it.
"The Lord is good a stronghold in the day of trouble and He knoweth them that trust in him" Nahum 1:7 Married to a wonderful man and mom of 4 princess angels: A(9) and K(6) (TJ my angel with Jesus ) and C(1)
mrsbesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchienurse View Post
I had the essure done and the novasure as well. I had the essure about 8 weeks post partum. I chose it because my body does not need another abdominal surgery. I love it and have had no problems. As far as a hysterectomy if something goes wrong, at worst they'd have to remove your tubes. I also got the novasure cause the 2 together basically make a hysto without the fuss, lol. I was up and around the afternoon after my essure and never thought about it again. Good luck with whichever you choose.
Also wanted to add that my doc generally won't due a tubal at delivery because he says the incidence of post tubal ligation syndrome goes WAY up and he doesn't see that when done after 6 weeks post partum or with essure

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Were you nursing when you got essure done? I've thought about going this route. I figure that the actual procedure wouldn't matter but I worry about the dye the use to make sure it worked later on - and breastfeeding. Did this come up at all?
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. DESTASHING HERE!
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Essure contains nickel-titanium, stainless steal, and polyester. I'm not aware of if containing any silicone.

http://www.essure.com/what-is-essure/common-questions
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote