Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #31
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Re: Anyone had their tonsils removed?

Yes. It is horrific. Expect to be on your back for at least a week. Keep up with pain meds. EVERY 4 hours. Don't skip. I would do it again 1000 times over. It changed my life.

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #32
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

What are tonsil stones?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #33
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

I needed a full week before I was functional enough to care for my one year old.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #34
Erinne
Registered Users

Re: Anyone had their tonsils removed?

I was 18 and mine wasn't that bad. Definitely less painful that wisdom teeth, for me. I had them out on a Wednesday and was back in school by Monday. If yours goes like mine, I would think you could be ready to have some lazy lots-of-tv days alone with your kids a few days after, but obviously, my experience wasn't the norm.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #35
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone had their tonsils removed? UPDATED: Surgery is scheduled

I'm really freaked out about this I think my biggest issue is that my tonsils are NOT really causing a problem - I do not get strep almost ever, and aside from a few minor annoyances they are just hanging out back there keeping to themselves. The ONLY reason they want them out is because of the unusual size difference and to check and make sure there isn't something like a tumor or cancer, though I was assured that the chances of that are slim. This sounds so, so painful...it's making me sick just thinking about it.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #36
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Lots of thin soup and popsicles, things along that line. You won't want to swallow anything solid (even stuff like applesauce) for a while. Good luck mama. Keep in mind that it won't be forever, and within a couple weeks you will be back to your normal self.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #37
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz
I'm really freaked out about this I think my biggest issue is that my tonsils are NOT really causing a problem - I do not get strep almost ever, and aside from a few minor annoyances they are just hanging out back there keeping to themselves. The ONLY reason they want them out is because of the unusual size difference and to check and make sure there isn't something like a tumor or cancer, though I was assured that the chances of that are slim. This sounds so, so painful...it's making me sick just thinking about it.
Better safe than sorry momma. Let me tell you natural childbirth sucks!! And I got no meds-for after. At least with my tonsils, sure I was miserable- but the meds helped! You sleep mostly.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #38
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had mine out at 27. It was totally worth it!!!!!! Being sick every 2 months was terrible.

I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I was healed within a week or so. *But* from what I understand, my doctor used a different method than the norm. He said I was the 7th patient to have them burned out rather than cut out, and he had been extremely pleased with the results of the new method. I was surprised it wasn't as bad as I expected.

ETA: Or, he cut them out instead of burning them out...I can't remember which was done on me vs. the norm, lol!!

Last edited by Steph Ed; 12-20-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #39
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrammellyFamily View Post
What are tonsil stones?
Little collections of food and/or white blood cells that form little "stones" inside your tonsils. They feel like popcorn kernels stuck in your throat. Lovely, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Better safe than sorry momma. Let me tell you natural childbirth sucks!! And I got no meds-for after. At least with my tonsils, sure I was miserable- but the meds helped! You sleep mostly.
Yeah but at least with childbirth you get a cute little squishy baby afterwards... I've also never been under general anestheisa, either. I wish they could just stick a needle in there and look at THAT first - because while I would be very happy if turns out to be nothing, I would still hate that I went through all that pain for no reason.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #40
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

I had mine burned out. It was horrific.