Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #41
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone had their tonsils removed? UPDATED: Surgery is scheduled

Can you get cancer there? can they do a needle aspiration?

I had mine out and still get sore throats all the time, recovery was horrific, I lost a lot of weight (I had none to spare then)

Find something liquid you enjoy, like carnation instant brekkie or boost. Pile on some extra pounds now if you are thin, know you likely will be out of action a week, if it's less then great.

My mother had cornflakes right after hers and was fine, so to her I was a wuss.

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #42
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz View Post
Little collections of food and/or white blood cells that form little "stones" inside your tonsils. They feel like popcorn kernels stuck in your throat. Lovely, right?

Yeah but at least with childbirth you get a cute little squishy baby afterwards... I've also never been under general anestheisa, either. I wish they could just stick a needle in there and look at THAT first - because while I would be very happy if turns out to be nothing, I would still hate that I went through all that pain for no reason.
I miss this, did you ask why they can't biopsy via needle? can they do an MRI etc? stones would show up on the MRI.

I avoid anesthesia like the plague
Old 12-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #43
mariannec32
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had mine out in my early 20's and while it wasnt fun, it was well worth it. I had a sucky couple weeks but nothing like some here have experienced. The first few days were easy peasy. Once the healing really started happening it was a lot more uncomfortable but I only took Tylenol because the prescription meds tore my stomach up with the lack of solid food. I would still do it 10x over being sick constantly. I was told I could eat room temp soups and broths and lots of Popsicles and ice cream. After several days I started eating teeny bits of regular foods, just making sure to chew until it was literally nothing.

ISO: New or EUC Planetwise hanging/large wetbags, Simplex OS, bamboo prefolds.
mariannec32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #44
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had mine out at 21 and while like any surgery it wasn't enjoyable I never remember thinking that it was that terribly awful. If I were you, I'd maybe get a second opinion to see if it's necessary since they aren't bothering you. If it is, then you won't have to worry about it being unnecessary and you will be fine. I agree with the pp that the day after or so it wasn't as bad as the 2nd/3rd day. Lots of liquids, popsicles, chloraseptic spray and you'll be fine. You'll definitely want your pain meds though and life would be much easier if you had help for the first 5 days or so but everyone is different.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #45
Mrs_B2009
Registered Users
seller

My dad had his out a week ago today. He said his recovery is going much better than he had anticipated. He has little to no appetite though. His were also huge ( I think the surgeon said 3-4x normal size) and they were going to biopsy them as well. Mostly he just doesn't talk because he says that hurts the worst.
Mrs_B2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #46
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

The important thing is to stay well hydrated and not fall behind on pain meds.

I just wanted to sleep and that's where my trouble started. I got dehydrated and pain meds made the nausea worse it was a vicious cycle.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #47
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

I had mine removed at 11, so not an adult but I still remember it very well. My recovery was ok, I lived on Popsicles. If you get some, don't buy red. I threw up a lot for days after and the doc told me to stay away from red so it didn't look like I was vomiting blood. It was pretty miserable but I recovered fine.

Mine were massive (adenoids too) and closing up my throat which is why they were removed.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #48
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post
I had mine burned out. It was horrific.
With you saying this, I really think now mine were cut out.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #49
lovebear
Registered Users

I had sore throat many times before but I never experienced having an enlarged tonsil. All I did was drink unsweetened pineapple juice and the next day, the soreness went away.
lovebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #50
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebear
I had sore throat many times before but I never experienced having an enlarged tonsil. All I did was drink unsweetened pineapple juice and the next day, the soreness went away.
You are lucky!!!! Horrific throat pain that leaves you literally unable to swallow, for days, is hard to cure, homeopathically. I tried it all!

Last edited by keen1981; 12-22-2012 at 11:16 AM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote