Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #21
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Re: Spoiled kids of the 80s?

Compared to the kids of the '30s we are!!

My grandfather went to war at 16! I would like to see some of the spoiled little monsters of today deal with that.

Advertisement

Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #22
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post

My grandfather went to war at 16! I would like to see some of the spoiled little monsters of today deal with that.
I disagree with this. I don't believe you could legally go to war at 16 in WWII or Korea.

Secondly, my grandmother is still alive and born in 1928. I have asked her a couple of times what it was like in the depression. She said she doesn't really think it was much different then any other time. The main reason for that is that HER family wasn't effected that much by it. Yes my great grandfather had to leave the family to go find work (ended up finding a new wife in the process ) but my grandmother's life didn't change much. Which honestly speaks volumes about my great grandmother.

There are people like this today. This "recession" has effected some people WAY harder then others. I know DH and I have personally been effected by it a lot, but DS probably doesn't notice any change (as of right now... who knows what the future will be like). Parents tend to isolate their children as much as possible.

To the PP that said that spoiled children grow up to spoil their children. I guess I would be a text book example of that. However I contend that it isn't my fault. My son is spoiled, but considering he is the first LIVING grandchild on both sides of the family and he has 4 grandfathers, and he has been an only child for so long, it really isn't surprising. I do try to curb it but at a certain point you just have to let "grandpa be grandpa".
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog

My grandfather ran away and joined the British cavalry at 16. You were supposed to be 18 but he lied about his age. This was in 1916.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #24
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think every generaton is thought to be spoiled to the adults.

I was spoiled in a way, as a kid, I do not spoil my kids, but my mom does (or atleast she tries).

My boys have my gabbage patch doll, her name is Alexandria, but I don't think the kids call her that.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #25
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I grew up in the 70s. I have always thought 80s kids had the best childhood. You guys had cool tv shows that were just for kids. You guys had cool new toys (stretch armstrong.. teddy ruxpin) Yet, you still had some freedoms without the helecoptering parents. You could ride your bike with friends, you could wear brown pants with vertical stripes, along with a purple shirt with flowers, and nobody questioned why. You could go outside for the whole day with bedhead and nobody wondered if mommy was paying attention to you.

The kids of the 90s had the overprotective parents, and by that time, the toys and tv shows were just O.K, but not really awesome.

The kids NOW have a harder time. TV shows are all the same...the same characters, only they speak different languages, they help you by opening their tool box, or back pack, or map..then ask the obvious questions, pause a moment, then praise you for (hopefully saying) "PURPLE MOUNTAIN!". Toys are safe, but not exactly imaginative or open ended. Kids can't even touch the front door knob, much less go outside by themselves. If a child does happen to stand alone on the front step for three minutes, a well meaning neighbor will call the police.

The saddest thing now, is students CAN'T be given a zero on an assignment... even if they never did the assignment. They will be given a 50%. So, the kid who did his best, and only got a 75% will get a slightly better grade than the kid who never did anything. Because the parents (80s kids I assume) will be upset when they notice that there is a zero on the books. Not upset at the child, upset at the teacher.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #26
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira

Many of my friends feel like the deserve to have everything their parents have worked 30 or 40 years for, now. New car, new and large houses, best cell phone/cable/entertainment, vacations, meals out, etc. Dh and I have worked hard at changing our own thing from want, want want, to being content with our current blessings. Neither of us were given much as kids so it's easier for us then some of our friends
My brother is in his early 20s a baby of the 90s

I was talking with him and some friends and they were talking about how much harder they have it now then we did.
They stated that they can't afford to move out on their own like we could.

The further we talked I came to the conclusion that they just couldn't afford to move out and maintain the lifestyle they have at their parents.
Eating out, going clubbing, having the latest and greatest gadgets. Having fun money with Mom and Dad to buy the groceries and wash the laundry.

Same with jobs. There doesn't seem to be a desire to start somewhere and work their way up.

Not sure what happened.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #27
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I think I can see where the idea that 80's kids are spoiled.

I was born later in the 80s (man I feel old!) and was in middle school right when younger people started carrying cell phones and camera phones became popular, Starbucks was the rage etc.

I attended school with students primarily from affluent families and it was common for everyone to have the latest cell phone, designer bag, luxury vehicle and so forth. People used to walk into class late because a pit stop at Starbucks was required. Lol.

While I do see we were all extremely spoiled and privileged, most all grew up to be normal functioning people.

But, I do think the earlier generation always thinks this of the newer.

Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it.

ETA: If this is referring to people a bit older DURING the 80s I don't think it's nearly as bad as what I see now. Cabbage Patch dolls and Blossom are pretty harmless.

Austen 06/12

Last edited by Only; 11-16-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #28
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Personally, I find it's the generation just graduating college that are the spoiled, entitled generation (late 80's I guess). I see it in the new recruits applying for jobs or attending job fairs as they prepare to start their career. They expect to start in middle to upper management and try to demand offer bonuses and extra vacation days. Um, kid you have zero experience and an attitude way bigger than your resume. You'd be lucky to land a job in the call centre.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #29
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
Personally, I find it's the generation just graduating college that are the spoiled, entitled generation (late 80's I guess). I see it in the new recruits applying for jobs or attending job fairs as they prepare to start their career. They expect to start in middle to upper management and try to demand offer bonuses and extra vacation days. Um, kid you have zero experience and an attitude way bigger than your resume. You'd be lucky to land a job in the call centre.

My daughter is always complaining about young people (she's young too) not doing their jobs properly, then wanting to sue the company for not giving a day off when they wanted, or not allowing then to do what they feel they have a right to. "Uh.. you are 20, and working at a movie theater...just do the job and stop making demands".

The Cost Plus world market by my house won't hire young people because they claim they have no work ethic. That made me sad.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 11-16-2012 at 10:33 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #30
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama

I wonder what has made them believe they are entitled to that?
I'm not sure it's the parenting. I worked my butt off always worked while in school. Paid cash for my first car at 17 ect.
My brother born in 90 is exactly what you describe. He can't keep a job because he is always right. Or rather being wronged by someone.

Last edited by mommy24babes; 11-16-2012 at 12:21 PM.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote