Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #31
lookatreestar
Registered Users

Lol my dh just had a guy quit (20 year old) who was upset bc dh asked him to stop texting and FBing and wash dishes (dishwasher). Imagine that, having to do your job and not play on your phone!

Advertisement

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #32
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatreestar
Lol my dh just had a guy quit (20 year old) who was upset bc dh asked him to stop texting and FBing and wash dishes (dishwasher). Imagine that, having to do your job and not play on your phone!
That's hilarious yet pathetic.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #33
megenic
Registered Users
seller

I grew up in the 80s and was most definitely spoiled. I am an only child though and my parents expressed love with food and toys. I had 12 cabbage patch dolls including one that talked, one you could bath, and twins. Even though Dh and I have much more money than my parents did I am trying to raise my kids much less materialisticly than I was. Not that I turned out terribly but it WAS hard for me as a young adult to find my way because I had always had so much given to me and done for me. My parents were doing what they thought was best but I don't think it did me any favors :-)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #34
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Spoiled kids of the 80s?

I was born in 80 and I was not spoiled, but I was one of 4 kids in a lower middle class military family and we were homeschooled. We didn't have a lot of toys or gadgets and it was a big deal when we got a conversion van that was already 10 years old.
I got married when I was 18 and my parents were just reaching that comfortable stage (early 40's) so if I had stuck around longer I might have been more spoiled. As it is I really don't expect much from anyone, I'm very easy to please and don't really care about having a lot of stuff.

Oh, and since it seems to be relevant somehow...I had 2 Cabbage Patch dolls. lol

Last edited by Leah52; 11-16-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #35
loveramongstars
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage

My daughter is always complaining about young people (she's young too) not doing their jobs properly, then wanting to sue the company for not giving a day off when they wanted, or not allowing then to do what they feel they have a right to. "Uh.. you are 20, and working at a movie theater...just do the job and stop making demands".

The Cost Plus world market by my house won't hire young people because they claim they have no work ethic. That made me sad.
This is why I am upset when I know I can do a job. And I go to even McDonalds and they don't know how to work the machine. I am 22, will.admit I was spoiled but I do know how to work. I've only quit one job (health reasons), got fired from one (unsuccessful transfer from "over/under") and still need one now.

Sent from my Inspire. Hope everything makes sense!

Lover Among Stars, a blog about my journey as a single mom with my little one.
loveramongstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #36
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I disagree with this. I don't believe you could legally go to war at 16 in WWII or Korea.

Secondly, my grandmother is still alive and born in 1928. I have asked her a couple of times what it was like in the depression. She said she doesn't really think it was much different then any other time. The main reason for that is that HER family wasn't effected that much by it. Yes my great grandfather had to leave the family to go find work (ended up finding a new wife in the process ) but my grandmother's life didn't change much. Which honestly speaks volumes about my great grandmother.

There are people like this today. This "recession" has effected some people WAY harder then others. I know DH and I have personally been effected by it a lot, but DS probably doesn't notice any change (as of right now... who knows what the future will be like). Parents tend to isolate their children as much as possible.

To the PP that said that spoiled children grow up to spoil their children. I guess I would be a text book example of that. However I contend that it isn't my fault. My son is spoiled, but considering he is the first LIVING grandchild on both sides of the family and he has 4 grandfathers, and he has been an only child for so long, it really isn't surprising. I do try to curb it but at a certain point you just have to let "grandpa be grandpa".
In the old days before computers, records were not as well kept or easy to get, it was amazingly common for those under 18 to go off to war, it could have happened up till Vietnam, but was very common in the Korean War and before. I had Great Uncles who did this for World War II and I think my Grandfather just barely made the cut. Doing gynealogy you find lots of boys going off to war, and everyone turning a blind eye to their actual ages.

I will also say your Grandmother was very lucky. My Grandfather born in 1918 was not so lucky, him and my Grandmother were very effected by the Depression and had life long habits because of what they went through. There are some major hording issues that can be common in those who lived through the Depression. I have seen it first hand many remember having nothing, so they try to hold on to everything. We had to help clear one mans home after he passed, he had 200 tires, and it took over 3 semi dumpsters to begin to clear his 1/2 acre yard. It was very sad.

All of that to say I think the biggest issue is that each generation has seen so much change that it is easy to say one generation is better, or lazier or whatever, because each generation has lived so differently from the last at least on the surface. These differences make it sometimes hard to see eye to eye to find common experiences. I think there have been spoiled people in every generation going back and kids who had nothing in every generation as well, otherwise some things are different but not better or worse.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #37
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post
Compared to the kids of the '30s we are!!

My grandfather went to war at 16! I would like to see some of the spoiled little monsters of today deal with that.
But they did. Tons of people enlisted in the military after 9/11. Some of the ones who enlisted I would have said had entitlement issues but they wanted to do something. I would suspect that if another tragedy hit the US people would flock to enlist again (but plenty would not but that is true of any war)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I grew up in the 70s. I have always thought 80s kids had the best childhood. You guys had cool tv shows that were just for kids. You guys had cool new toys (stretch armstrong.. teddy ruxpin) Yet, you still had some freedoms without the helecoptering parents. You could ride your bike with friends, you could wear brown pants with vertical stripes, along with a purple shirt with flowers, and nobody questioned why. You could go outside for the whole day with bedhead and nobody wondered if mommy was paying attention to you.

The kids of the 90s had the overprotective parents, and by that time, the toys and tv shows were just O.K, but not really awesome.

The kids NOW have a harder time. TV shows are all the same...the same characters, only they speak different languages, they help you by opening their tool box, or back pack, or map..then ask the obvious questions, pause a moment, then praise you for (hopefully saying) "PURPLE MOUNTAIN!". Toys are safe, but not exactly imaginative or open ended. Kids can't even touch the front door knob, much less go outside by themselves. If a child does happen to stand alone on the front step for three minutes, a well meaning neighbor will call the police.

The saddest thing now, is students CAN'T be given a zero on an assignment... even if they never did the assignment. They will be given a 50%. So, the kid who did his best, and only got a 75% will get a slightly better grade than the kid who never did anything. Because the parents (80s kids I assume) will be upset when they notice that there is a zero on the books. Not upset at the child, upset at the teacher.
I think a lot of this depends on where you live. Based on where I live I completely disagree with most of this. Kids still run around the neighborhoods here. If my kids were out running around and misbehaiving, I'd hear about it from the various neighbors and the kids know it. I guarentee no one would be given a 50% (or anything above a 0) for not doing school work at our school.

Tv shows are subjective. There are some dumb ones now but there are some cute ones too. But I could say the same of 80s tv. As an adult I've seen some of the shows I used to watch and wonder why I thought it was good because as an adult I can't find any redeeming value to the show. So I try to keep that in mind for shows now - some are written for a child to enjoy, not an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
Personally, I find it's the generation just graduating college that are the spoiled, entitled generation (late 80's I guess). I see it in the new recruits applying for jobs or attending job fairs as they prepare to start their career. They expect to start in middle to upper management and try to demand offer bonuses and extra vacation days. Um, kid you have zero experience and an attitude way bigger than your resume. You'd be lucky to land a job in the call centre.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I will say dh finds this often to be true as an HR manager. Young kids have very unrealistic expections of the workplace. They give young people a try time and time again and every so often they find a gem who is worth his/her weight in gold. Those people make it almost worth the pain of hiring (and usually firing) all the entitled ones. He also finds that people who did not grow up in the US usually have a better work ethic - not always but often

Oh and I had 6 cabbage patch kids but was far from spoiled. I got them as Christmas gifts over several years or worked my butt off earning money to buy them. The only ones I was just given was my twins - my Grandma collected dolls and when she died my Grandpa said I could select any doll to remember my Grandma by. I was 10 and to me twin cabbage patch dolls were an amazing gift to be given.

Last edited by Rhianna'sMommy; 11-16-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #38
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog
Compared to the kids of the '30s we are!!

My grandfather went to war at 16! I would like to see some of the spoiled little monsters of today deal with that.
You can enlist nowadays at 17? I don't think that one year makes a huge difference. Then again, those enlisting at 17 and 18 generally aren't the entitled kids of their generation.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #39
loveramongstars
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddys_mama

You can enlist nowadays at 17? I don't think that one year makes a huge difference. Then again, those enlisting at 17 and 18 generally aren't the entitled kids of their generation.
You can but must still.have a high school.diploma.

Sent from my Inspire. Hope everything makes sense!

Lover Among Stars, a blog about my journey as a single mom with my little one.
loveramongstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #40
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I agree, that every generation thinks the up and coming one is spoiled. I was born in 71. Grew up in the 70s/80s. I came from a single parent [mom], poverty/lower class [money wise]. I wasn't spoiled. Never had a TV in my room, nor a phone. Never had a game system [Atari? lol], nothing like that. I just think it's a set of different variables in any generation.