Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #51
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum

Me too! Especially when people mean SELF-entitlement. We should respect other people's entitlements. They are entitled to them.

And on another tangential note: Someone said my daughter looked like a cabbage patch doll. I had never seen one before and assumed it was a compliment. Then I googled them when I read this thread and now I am steaming with fury.
I say that my daughter looks like a cabbage patch doll.. I don't see why that would make you even a little angry.

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #52
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Spoiled kids of the 80s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco-mum View Post
I say that my daughter looks like a cabbage patch doll.. I don't see why that would make you even a little angry.
Argh! I didn't grow up with them, so I don't have any fond memories, but they look horrid to me! Like they were carved out of potatoes.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #53
southernbelle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well, it's definitely meant as a compliment so I wouldn't worry about it even if you don't like them.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #54
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Haha, so it would seem. Steaming with fury was hyperbolic. Mildly surprised and shocked that someone would say that about a child would have been more accurate. I thought they were supposed to be ugly/cute like Trolls .
Old 11-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #55
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
Haha, so it would seem. Steaming with fury was hyperbolic. Mildly surprised and shocked that someone would say that about a child would have been more accurate. I thought they were supposed to be ugly/cute like Trolls .
Most people think they are cute- chubby cheeks, big round eyes. Definitely better comparison than Trolls.

I generally try not to make comparisons at all because you never know how people might take them. lol "What a little angel!" for instance...some angels, Cherubim (or Cherubs) specifically, are quite scary sounding and not cute at all! You're saying my baby has 4 faces, feet like a cow and human hands hiding under 4 sets of wings?!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #56
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
Argh! I didn't grow up with them, so I don't have any fond memories, but they look horrid to me! Like they were carved out of potatoes.
which, since they supposedly bloomed in a vegetable garden.... sounds about accurate
Old 11-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #57
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hahaha!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #58
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
kids of the 80s? like me?

um.. no.. not spoiled.

but we didn't have any of those things in the 80's. No cell phones, no home computers... the first atari might have been out and the first nintendo in 1985... but I know we didn't afford one until way after then. shoot.. even microwaves weren't in every household in the 80's.

no, if we're talking about a generation that is used to instant gratification, we certainly aren't talking about the 80's.
No, but we grew up with those things in our teens and early 20s. I guess I assumed it meant born in the 80s. I was born in 84.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #59
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira
Many of my friends feel like they deserve to have everything their parents have worked 30 or 40 years for, now. New car, new and large houses, best cell phone/cable/entertainment, vacations, meals out, etc. Dh and I have worked hard at changing our own thing from want, want want, to being content with our current blessings. Neither of us were given much as kids so it's easier for us then some of our friends.
I feel this way about my generation and DH's generation (he is 9 years older than me). The lifestyle I see his peers try to keep up is absolutely revolting - as in, I don't even want to KNOW what their mortgage on that house in the really affluent area is and how the heck they paid for all the fancy junk they have and how they keep up with multiple car payments... When the husband and wife are both elementary school teachers with a combined salary barely more than DH. We have slowly drifted away from his "friends" because we live in a lower COL area (not a bad area at all, just more practical and over an hour away from the densely populated area), our idea of fun is not a $200 dinner out + drinks afterwards, and we have more to talk about that the newest toys we've purchased - oh yeah, and not to mention how "weird" we are for not having any debt except the house and having that paid off by the time DS is in middle school.

We don't have a TV. We don't eat out. We are not "normal" because we only use cash. DH works his rear end off at a very well paying job (now), but started at the very bottom of the totem pole in BMT almost 12 years ago and took crap deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, when all of his other friends were back home living the high life on student loans and partying every weekend. Our priorities are God, family, and preparing for the future - as opposed to ME ME ME and maintaining the lifestyle of people who've been working 30 years longer than we have.

Looking at the people in my generation - children still, I feel - is just as bad. My peer group is generally so crass, disrespectful, unwilling to WORK or put their best foot forward at anything, and so expectant that life will be delivered to them in a silver Mercedes Benz it is absolutely laughable. I am definitely the anomaly in my generation.

The point has been made that there are entitled people in every generation, but as a general rule, I think it is getting worse. My parents and DH's parents, who were all born in the 1960s, are a group of super hard working, deliberate, and dedicated people who (for the most part) have a better set of priorities than young people today. Their parents were even more hardworking. Etc, as you follow the family into the past. We have tons of military (both sides, dating back to Civil War (DH) and Revolutionary War (my family)), immigrants (late 19th/early 20th century, my entire family) and entrepreneurs in our family. Maybe their mentality was passed down to us and we got lucky. I don't know. I just know that I hope and pray our kids are also just as NOT "normal" as we are.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #60
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I disagree with this. I don't believe you could legally go to war at 16 in WWII or Korea.
Well. Disagree all you like. Just because it was illegal doesn't mean it wasn't done. He ran away from home and lied about his age. He was in a naval destroyer at 16 and lost his hearing because the bomb that killed his shipmate exploded next to him. He was the first man in South Africa to get an eardrum reconstruction.
Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote