Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #61
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spoiled kids of the 80s?

Does it count if I was born in 1977 AND an only child? I guess I wasn't that spoiled, but I felt like I was entitled to something most of the time. It took some maturity to conquer that one!

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #62
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It seems that some of this perception comes from how much debt people are willing to incur in order to get what the want/feel they deserve. I know that my first husband liked to brag about how his first house was bigger than his parents' first house and how he had more cars than his parents did at the same age. In reality though, he was living in and driving things that the bank owned more than he did while his parents had very little debt at the same age.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #63
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
And on another tangential note: Someone said my daughter looked like a cabbage patch doll. I had never seen one before and assumed it was a compliment. Then I googled them when I read this thread and now I am steaming with fury.
They probably meant it as a compliment. At least you should take it that way...and if they didn't mean it as a compliment, well...they're just kind of a jerk. Like the time that a woman looked at one of my DDs in Walmart who was "failure to thrive" (HATE that phrase!!) at the time and had a lot of other issues going on...she looked at her and said "Hmm...Kind of a thin skinned child, isn't she?" all snoody like. Now I get why she said it--you could see a lot of the veins in DD's head, but it was SOO not nice. I could have slapped her. (But I didn't! )
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #64
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm another 22 year old here! I grew up an only child - single mother till my parents were married when I was 14. I definitely wasn't spoiled as my mother was a drunk and couldn't stay on her feet longer then a year at a time with her 100 different boyfriends. I got my way often, but I didn't get/do things. My dad was in and out of prison until they were married. Both were born late 60's. They weren't spoiled but were the so called "carless" high schoolers of the 80's.

I've always thought of my generation (early 90's) as two distinct groups. Those that just want to party hard and get everything handed to them without working group and the normal-minded work for what you get group. Most everyone my age I don't get along with or relate to at all. Me and dh both grew up very much alike (met in HS because we shared the same trailer park) and are working our way up right now.

We started at the bottom of the totem pole so it hasn't been easy at all, but we're making it. (I'm about to finish my AA and dh works oil hazmat in ND) I think the hardest thing has just been having no foundation to start on knowledge wise - meaning how the "real world" works such as credit, money, etc. DH had to teach me because my parents never did. Sensing my hard feelings much? LOL Spoiled kids (my generation) drive me insane.

ETA: Still fortunate in a way though because our parents are everything we don't want to be. As sad as that sounds. :/

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 11-18-2012 at 09:42 PM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #65
squiddles
Registered Users
seller

Last edited by squiddles; 12-08-2012 at 11:04 PM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote