Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
diy mattress ideas?

DH and I need a bed...I have really bad dust mite allergies, so I have to make sure it is washable and or fits in a dust mite allergen free cover at the very least. I was thinking of making some kind of mattress myself so that way I would know exactly what was in it and I wouldn't have to spend as much on it.

I saw those diy buckwheat hull kits. I have some old fabric scraps...I could get a futon cover and fill it with something...I could order a stack of blankets...I thought about going the Asian futon way, but I don't like the idea of having to fold it up and lay it out everyday, or air it out regularly outside. I thought about getting a couple nice quality sleeping bags and laying them on the floor or on some kind of simple wood frame, more like an American futon.

anybody have any experience with this?

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: diy mattress ideas?

I'm kind of overwhelmed about it all the options here, in case you couldn't tell
Old 12-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just because you have a futon dosen't mean you need to fold it up every day.

I know there are some mattresses made from wool, cotton and some kind of soy foam as green options.

For me none of the ideas you presented would work for me, my back and neck would protest too much.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Yoshimama
Registered Users

We had a futon made from scraps: not comfy. I would male sure you sew boxes like in comforters because the problem was that the stuffing moved around too much. We ended up replacing it w/foam, which I'm sure isn't very green but was a lot cheaper than Dacron, which fills most fluffy futons. Wool would probably be best but quite expensive. We've slept on several thick wool blankets and threw a down comforter in there for extra padding. Ikea has a Queen-sized down comforter for around $40 which is the cheapest anywhere.
Yoshimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

One of the amazing race episodes showed them making mattresses in Bangladesh as a challenge. It's probably on YouTube. They did it in a really short time too.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

cool! Thanks!