Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Barnold
Registered Users

Burn from overnight hemp insert??

HELP! For my first attempt at overnight CDing, I used an overnight hemp/cotton insert. It was inside a Kushies fitted with a cover (which is his normal day time setup). In the morning he had red blotching all over his bum that kind of looked like sunburn. Do you think it was from the insert or from sitting in pee for 12 hours? The insert and diaper were wet but he didn't leak through the cover. I've never used the insert before but I wash in home made detergent with borax and I heard that it doesn't rinse out of hemp very well. I thought since I put the non-hemp side against his bum it would be ok. Any ideas?

Advertisement

Barnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
mamarudy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Burn from overnight hemp insert??

i would try a hemp with a stay dry liner (like the thirsties stay dry duo insert)
mamarudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
kirst
Registered Users
seller

I'd say it's a burn from borax that didn't quite rinse out, then got dissolved in pee. I don't think it's very likely to be a reaction to hemp or cotton.

I use hemp with every diaper for my heavy wetter and I take care to make sure it is well rinsed because that's the downside of it being so absorbant. Those fibers really hold onto stuff.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Barnold
Registered Users

Thanks guys! Mamarudy, the inserts I have are a stay dry/hemp deal. One side is hemp and the other is cotton jersey I think. Kirst, I sent you a PM but in case you read this instead, do you have suggestions for how to do lots of extra rinsing when I only have 3 inserts with hemp?
Barnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

also, hemp gives off heat..my DD is allergic to hemp when she was in cd's, i got her a bunch of hemp diapers because they were suppose to be wonderful..well she got a TERRIBLE heat rash burn looking rash all over her lil area it was terrible and took a lil while to heal...i put her in sposies till i got all cotton diapers, but that was TERRIBLE i was so discouraged because they were my first 'all natural fibers' attempt...needless to say now i only use cotton,,,did bamboo for a bit but i like cotton better.
good luck mama!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
kirst
Registered Users
seller

EarthyMomma, that sounds so horrible. I've never noticed my son's hemp giving off heat. But any fermentation produces heat and sometimes lots of it, so if there were any yeasts in those hemp diapers, that most certainly could have caused that I love the softness of often-washed prefolds (I have a bunch I use as burb cloths so very well-washed and soft) but I don't find them absorbant enough, sadly, as hemp is not very soft.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnold View Post
Thanks guys! Mamarudy, the inserts I have are a stay dry/hemp deal. One side is hemp and the other is cotton jersey I think. Kirst, I sent you a PM but in case you read this instead, do you have suggestions for how to do lots of extra rinsing when I only have 3 inserts with hemp?
You can just throw them in with your other laundry during the rinse cycles to get extra rinses on just those three.

We can't use hemp overnight either. DD ends up with a horrible burn exactlh in the shape of the insert. I even had a daycare provider ask me if I had spanked my baby because of the look of it
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use hemp only closest to the cover so it doesn't touch DS directly... and 2 prefolds. I'd wrap the hemp or put it on the outside of the diaper. try it for a nap first to make sure.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
cowgirlfromwyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest couldn't wear hemp either. I too bought several hemp fitteds and had to trade them off. I agree with putting it as far away from skin as possible.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

i got two knickernappy night time inserts. hemp middle and mf outter. they are essentially worthless because the mf cant touch baby and the hemp is to rough and my poor lo looked really uncomfy. i would try and use the softest natural fiber you can when cding at night. i actually wound up just using a prefold with an anglewing fold then another prefold trifolded in a flips cover.