Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
kileysmama
Registered Users
seller

What would you recommend?

Hello! I'm due with DD #3 in February. We got pregnant with this LO while using VCF (I knew it wasn't super effective, was ok with a "suprise"). I have also used a diaphragm which again i know isn't super effective. We are fairly certain we are DONE after this LO. That being said for multiple reasons, i'm not ok with any type of permanent sterilization...really for either of us, but if DH insisted I guess I'd have to deal with him getting a v...but I'd seriously try to talk him out of it. I'm having a C-section this time around so b/c of how "easy" it would be to have a tubal ligation I did think about it, but I'm just not ok with it. Soooo, what would you recommend as the most safe bc option for myself, and while bfing. I was seriously considering the mirena, but reading about that has me kind of freaked out, and then considered paraguard, but that freaked me out more. The mini pill isn't really an option because I work nights, and I will NEVER remember to take it, and if I do it won't be at the same time. Condoms aren't my favorite, but I guess that may have to be our best bet. NFP would probably be very effective...but we are no where near disciplined enough to rely on that (again knew the VCF wasn't the most effective, knew I could get pregnant...and I sure did) I guess right now I was thinking condoms vs. mirena...but I don't love either.

Advertisement

kileysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you recommend?

If you are ok with hormonal birth control, I would check out the patch. I can't remember to take pills either, and generally have always had a hard time with the way my body reacts to hormones. But, after I had my son in 2004, I used the patch and loved it. You only apply it once a week, and the week of your period you apply a 'dummy' patch to keep you on schedule. I just stopped going to the doc to get refilled, but I believe there were some issues with the 'old' patch I was using (i never had problems) and the one out now is 'new and improved'. I breastfed with my son, but I can't remember if I was on the patch during, but I would never BF while taking BC now....BC freaks me out!

I'm kinda in your position....I'm due with a surprise (#3) in Feb. (my youngest is 8!) also and have to figure out something! Essure freaks me out, hormonal BC is out of the question, soooooo, I'm going to try my best to talk DH into a V although he has made it very clear he is NOT down with it!

Last edited by Steph Ed; 11-08-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

If active patch falls off. I would suggest deposit.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Donthaveaclue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NEVER get an IUD... I had problem after problem with mine and I am sure I got pregnant while mine was in more than once and it caused misscarrage. Horrible horrible BC plan. It also got imbedded and had to be ripped out without any numbing meds.
Donthaveaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donthaveaclue
NEVER get an IUD... I had problem after problem with mine and I am sure I got pregnant while mine was in more than once and it caused misscarrage. Horrible horrible BC plan. It also got imbedded and had to be ripped out without any numbing meds.
All of the things you mention are kind of the point of getting an iud. It has to be embedded in your uterine lining to work and preventing pregnancy...well thats what bc is for.

I think mirena is less likely to allow conception to occur while paraguard does nothing to prevent conception but wont allow implantation.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
If active patch falls off. I would suggest deposit.
I never experienced this. Did it fall off of you? I waited tables, swam, played disc golf at least 3 or 4 times a week, and of course showered with no problems.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
kileysmama
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found the Paraguard IUD (copper not hormonal) super easy and I really had no problems with it other than heavy periods. I used one off and on for 10 years total and never had any complications.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
mom@37
Registered Users
seller

Just curious, why don't people like Essure? I saw it advertised at my doctors office and was wondering...
mom@37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
kileysmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm personally just not looking for anything permanent at this time. I believe we're done, but that's just a huge decision IMO especially at 30 years old (even though I know some younger that have chosen essure or a tubal).