Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

What next??

My son who just turned 6 is doing K this year. He is ADHD & was a little behind on letter names & sounds. We have dropped are normal curriculum bc it was too much for him. Just took a break & worked on letters, letter sounds & some math here & there. He now know his letters & sounds solid I'm so proud & so is he. Where do I go from here? What comes next?

Advertisement

~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yay! Great job.

I'm teaching my just turned 5 year old DD how to read using The Reading Lesson: Teach your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons. We started a few weeks ago, and she's reading some of the BOB books. I really like the book. We do maybe 10 minutes a day because that's all she wants to do right now. But she is learning so much in those 10 minutes. Each lesson is really a very long lesson that is intended to be done over several days or a week or two, so the title is misleading. We are on lesson 3 right now.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What next??

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. None of my kids are ADHD. I'm sure it's very different, but my oldest has a very tough time focusing and sitting down to learn. He didn't know all his letters and sounds until he was close to turning 6. School is a struggle, especially learning to read which he is still working on. He turned 7 in Oct, so just a year ahead of yours. We used My Father's World. It is a slower pace in K than many other reading programs. (But, is very fast in 1st.) It was really great for my oldest because it was a slow and steady pace giving him lots of time to practice blending and master the foundation. Also, it wasn't a lot of busy work or seat work. It was a gentle approach to a formal curriculum. So, it worked very well for us. I added a separate math to it, but followed their phonics.

Hope you find something that works for you.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. None of my kids are ADHD. I'm sure it's very different, but my oldest has a very tough time focusing and sitting down to learn. He didn't know all his letters and sounds until he was close to turning 6. School is a struggle, especially learning to read which he is still working on. He turned 7 in Oct, so just a year ahead of yours. We used My Father's World. It is a slower pace in K than many other reading programs. (But, is very fast in 1st.) It was really great for my oldest because it was a slow and steady pace giving him lots of time to practice blending and master the foundation. Also, it wasn't a lot of busy work or seat work. It was a gentle approach to a formal curriculum. So, it worked very well for us. I added a separate math to it, but followed their phonics.

Hope you find something that works for you.
I just bought MFW K but haven't started it yet. It seemed like a easy pace for him. So good to hear from someone who has used it. I'll also be using it for my 4 yr old, she's on the same level as him. What we started the year with was just too much. I want him to have a strong foundation for reading. I'll have to get MFW all ready after holiday. Should I do the 10 days if creation? We already covered that at the begining of the year? Or should I do it to easy back into school? We've been off for a month. Thanks for the advice!
~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote